The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
John Gilbert

Best truck show for Classic Trucks mag to cover?

The biggest and the best? Maybe a small show, but really good? I've gone on staff for Classic Trucks magazine as tech editor, and I'd appreciate some help deciding which truck shows would be good to cover for 2014.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
John Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
chevjayfsd
Project 7dos

Re: Best truck show for Classic Trucks mag to cover?

Can you use this board to scope out trucks? There are some awesome trucks here that deserve to be on the cover of a mag.... First one that comes to my mind is Al's Sylvester.
20x8.5/20x10

Ride Low or Die
PSSST - Yes it's bagged.

7dos build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610290
chevjayfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
John Gilbert

Yes, I've used this board many times in the past to find trucks to feature in the magazines I've worked for... And I'm sure there will be more in the future.

I'm really digging this new gig at Classic Trucks, it looks like I'm going to be able to hit the road in my old Chevy (maybe the slightly newer GMC, it depends on what's running at the time) and tour the country a little bit and shoot some truck features. That means I'll get on here before I leave and try to line some trucks up.

Thank you
Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Lee H

Congrats John!

You know you'll have to hit Brothers.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
John Gilbert

Thanks for the congrats! Yeah, Brothers show for sure its one of the best shows there is. I wouldn't miss the bar-b-que at the Central Valley C10 clubs camp for nothing in the world. By the way the C10 Get-Togehter at Rene's is coming up in the May issue of Classic Trucks.

SoCal C10 club, we gotta roll up to Rene's for next year!

Again, any ideas for any truck shows, or shows in general that would be good for Classic Trucks to be at?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Carlisle All Truck Nationals.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Sammy

So much enjoyed your attendance in KC "All Truck Nationals" a few years ago. Plenty of every make/type of truck you can possibly ever imagine as you already know. To top it off all of us are fans of the articles in Classic Trucks.
Riverside Blind Man's race, Burnouts, Highest truck, Loudest Truck, Slowest truck and don't forget the boat ride always plenty of fun with trucks from all over the Midwest.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
John Gilbert

You're right, Carlisle is a good show. I covered it in 2006 while I was editing Custom Classic Trucks, and shot a few covers there. Thanks, I'll put it on my list to consider.

Anything happening below the Mason-Dixon line, i'd like to make a banzai run through the South again.

Good food, nice folks. Even the police were real good to me the last time I was through the South. In 2012 I drove a radically chopped Model A with a Chrysler Hemi from Fl to Georgia to Tenn, KY. on to CA. Nothing like Billy and Fonda in Easyrider, it was a good trip.

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
So much enjoyed your attendance in KC "All Truck Nationals" a few years ago. Plenty of every make/type of truck you can possibly ever imagine as you already know. To top it off all of us are fans of the articles in Classic Trucks.
Riverside Blind Man's race, Burnouts, Highest truck, Loudest Truck, Slowest truck and don't forget the boat ride always plenty of fun with trucks from all over the Midwest.
Thanks, I really enjoyed myself at The All Truck Nationals in KCMO. I met a lot of good people, and shot some great trucks. I saw a listing for 2013, is there going to be a 2014 show? At this point I can't say for sure, but I sure would like to cover that show again. With enough lead time I might drive my truck.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Charlotte Autofair, Charlotte, NC (spring is MUCH better than fall) and in the fall they also have a Goodguys event. Depending on weather, the spring show can be HUGE, as well as the goodguys show in the fall. The best part about the spring autofair is the large swap meet. I try to make the spring show every year.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Charlotte Autofair, Charlotte, NC (spring is MUCH better than fall) and in the fall they also have a Goodguys event. Depending on weather, the spring show can be HUGE, as well as the goodguys show in the fall. The best part about the spring autofair is the large swap meet. I try to make the spring show every year.
As I understand it Classic Trucks gives out awards at Good-Guys shows. Riz was going to go over my travel assignments for 2014 later this week... that's in addition to the shows I pick for myself. Anyways there should be good chance I'll make Charlotte. I've got friends in Mint Hill, and Concord.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Sammy

I was going to ask about your truck and how it turned out.
Every year they post details on the show late and never update the web coverage until time draws near. But everyone who attends always gets a flyer in advance by snail mail.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
I was going to ask about your truck and how it turned out.
Every year they post details on the show late and never update the web coverage until time draws near. But everyone who attends always gets a flyer in advance by snail mail.
My truck came out OK, thanks. Its a rolling project. Its going to show up in CCT as a hood tech, and then later in CT as I make some changes, plus do some long over due repairs.

It sounds like a hang-loose operation. If I can get a confirmation here pretty soon the show will happen in 2014 I'll see if I can commit Classic Trucks to covering it.

Thank you!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
cst69
Hollywood

If you are interested in a March 2014 car/truck show, you have to check out the Run to the Sun show. Only vehicles from 1989 & older allowed, they do a Thursday cruise and the show is HUGE! It is at Myrtle Beach SC, March 20-22.
www.peedeestreetrodders.com is the link for the show. I think Andy4639 on the board here made some photos last year to get an idea of what you can find there. (Look under event coverage and scroll down to march 28, 2013 or so)
I will be there, for sure.
1992 chevy ext. cab Project: leftovers
2003 Silverado ext. cab shortbed (my dad's truck R.I.P.)
1969 trans am clone, pro tour
1985 Yamaha Vmax, custom
1993 Yamaha Vmax, showbike
1969 Sears Suburban SS12 lawn tractor
cst69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #15
SactoJim

Hi John....congrats on your new gig! I imagine you're familiar with the Pleasanton Good Guys Shows that happens 3 or 4 times a year up here in NorCal....always great shows.There's always some good get-togethers up in the hills and one of the better ones is Cruisin the Pines up in Grass Valley in Early September. Great setting and has gotten pretty big in regards to display vehicles. Of course you never know what cool stuff will show up at Renee's place in A****er every fall!
On another note, we have a great collision repair training facility in the Sacto area with alot of the latest and greatest collision repair and refinishing equipment. Got many great connections with the paint companies as they use the facility as well... so if you ever want a great backdrop for some techy stuff or want the perfect location for paint and body tech, let me know. It's basically an operational showroom for us......and a place to work on our projects! Here's a few pics of the training center.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...cility%202.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...C/DSCN0078.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...C/DSCN0080.JPG
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #16
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst69 View Post
If you are interested in a March 2014 car/truck show, you have to check out the Run to the Sun show. Only vehicles from 1989 & older allowed, they do a Thursday cruise and the show is HUGE! It is at Myrtle Beach SC, March 20-22.
www.peedeestreetrodders.com is the link for the show. I think Andy4639 on the board here made some photos last year to get an idea of what you can find there. (Look under event coverage and scroll down to march 28, 2013 or so)
I will be there, for sure.
I've heard of it, but never have been. Myrtle Beach is legendary as a location for any kind of gearhead event. Thanks for the heads up, its been added to my list of shows to shoot for.

Thank you
Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
slowcpe

Not sure how old of trucks you cover, but here in Southern Indiana we have the Frog Follies. Its a pre-49 show but gets quite a few really nice trucks. Show usually brings in about 4000 street rods from all over. Actually last year at the show was the determining factor to be getting back into trucks.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
C/10 King

Congratulations Mr Gilbert, on the new job!!!! I know you're going to take the magazine to a new level (if that's possible) but, can I still call you John?

BTW.........how many more days till May?
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #19
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim View Post
Hi John....congrats on your new gig! I imagine you're familiar with the Pleasanton Good Guys Shows that happens 3 or 4 times a year up here in NorCal....always great shows.There's always some good get-togethers up in the hills and one of the better ones is Cruisin the Pines up in Grass Valley in Early September. Great setting and has gotten pretty big in regards to display vehicles. Of course you never know what cool stuff will show up at Renee's place in A****er every fall!
On another note, we have a great collision repair training facility in the Sacto area with alot of the latest and greatest collision repair and refinishing equipment. Got many great connections with the paint companies as they use the facility as well... so if you ever want a great backdrop for some techy stuff or want the perfect location for paint and body tech, let me know. It's basically an operational showroom for us......and a place to work on our projects! Here's a few pics of the training center.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...cility%202.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...C/DSCN0078.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...C/DSCN0080.JPG
Jim,

I've covered Pleasanton before it is a good show. A little hard to find good backgrounds for photography though. I need a local person to help me find the rural backroads, barns etc.

A picture is worth a 1,000 words. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined your training center is so over the top cool. Let's put some tech stories together. PM me your cell# and we'll start planning for it. Also I need to make it to Sacto to visit Chris Alston, and Sacto Vintage Ford.

Thanks for the congrats, its so neat working at Classic Trucks!

Best,

John
Old 01-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #20
68 Longbed Dan

Being a So Cal Guy I am sure you hit the Roadster show in Pamona, they had a GREAT selection of trucks the last couple years!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #21
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
Congratulations Mr Gilbert, on the new job!!!! I know you're going to take the magazine to a new level (if that's possible) but, can I still call you John?

BTW.........how many more days till May?
Hey Rene, thanks for the congrats! Your show is in the issue after the one that just hit. That's the one with the patina'd '60-66 C10 on the cover.

What's in May? I'm an old guy refresh my memory.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #22
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Longbed Dan View Post
Being a So Cal Guy I am sure you hit the Roadster show in Pamona, they had a GREAT selection of trucks the last couple years!
Yep, i'll be at the GNRS i'm driving my 27T hot rod into the outdoor show on Saturday.

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #23
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Not sure how old of trucks you cover, but here in Southern Indiana we have the Frog Follies. Its a pre-49 show but gets quite a few really nice trucks. Show usually brings in about 4000 street rods from all over. Actually last year at the show was the determining factor to be getting back into trucks.
Thanks for the heads up. Classic Trucks covers down to 1940, but as you know WWII took a big bite out of what was built during that decade. Has Street Rodder or Rod & Custom ever covered that show?

Glad to hear you're back into trucks, life is better that way huh!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #24
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Hi John,

I just talked to Gaileen about the KCMO All Truck Nationals and she confirmed that the dates for the show are September 5th, 6th, and 7th, 2014. It would be great to see you there... I will PM you Gaileens phone number.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #25
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Hi John,

I just talked to Gaileen about the KCMO All Truck Nationals and she confirmed that the dates for the show are September 5th, 6th, and 7th, 2014. It would be great to see you there... I will PM you Gaileens phone number.

LockDoc
Perfect, thank you very much.