The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #26
leddzepp

Re: Windshield gasket

That video came about because of all the problems and threads like this. I have not heard one bad thing about that video from anyone who has actually tried it using the method they demonstrate. There may be more than one way to skin a cat, but how can that video be "wrong" if the end result is a clean install

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #27
chipflyer

Quote:
That video came about because of all the problems and threads like this. I have not heard one bad thing about that video from anyone who has actually tried it using the method they demonstrate. There may be more than one way to skin a cat, but how can that video be "wrong" if the end result is a clean install
Agreed Scott, I can't believe someone could actually watch it and think in the end that it's the wrong way to do it.

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #28
54belair

I have bought a new precision gasket and will prob. be buying the windshield from safelite (However--the safelite windshields are thinner than oem), anyway, Ive watched a couple videos and will be installing myself. Starting at the top, using a small rope to facilitate the install-----and an extra pair of non-agressive hands from my wife!!! I have bought a couple tools off ebay to help with the process. ($12.00)
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #29
BB72CHEVKT

I just posted a WTB ad on the parts board for 67-70 trim to 75771 or75701.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #30
Jimjific

I bought my truck from a guy in Salt Lake. It came with a new gasket not installed. He told me it didn't seem like it needed replacing so he never did it. Well the truck is now in NY and the window was leaking a little bit. So I tried to replace the gasket. Of coarse I cracked the glass and then had safe lite come and replace it. The install went well trim is in right and the gasket lays flat. I helped the guy the whole way but now the window leaks like no tomorrow. I can't believe how wet my floors get. I can hear them rusting away. The water comes from the window/rubber grove not the body/rubber groove. I bought some 3M urethane to try to seal it if it ever gets dry enough here.

Jim

Jim - 69 Short Step CST 350 AC/PB/PS
- 69 Short Step 307 Man Column/PS
Jimjific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #31
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipflyer View Post
Agreed Scott, I can't believe someone could actually watch it and think in the end that it's the wrong way to do it.
Let me clarify , the video shows them starting at the top ,well you don't have to your starting out fighting gravity ,second the video shows them pushing the seal off the glass edge onto the truck again the glass has to get back into the gasket to seal so that's more work and wrong , Third they stop the video before they do the corners and then show the finished install "problem ?", and if I remember correctly they are using a hook tool ? well that just leads to scratches and torn gaskets SO..... , To each their own but the video is wrong ,Look at the service manual .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #32
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjific View Post
I bought my truck from a guy in Salt Lake. It came with a new gasket not installed. He told me it didn't seem like it needed replacing so he never did it. Well the truck is now in NY and the window was leaking a little bit. So I tried to replace the gasket. Of coarse I cracked the glass and then had safe lite come and replace it. The install went well trim is in right and the gasket lays flat. I helped the guy the whole way but now the window leaks like no tomorrow. I can't believe how wet my floors get. I can hear them rusting away. The water comes from the window/rubber grove not the body/rubber groove. I bought some 3M urethane to try to seal it if it ever gets dry enough here.

Jim
Urethane will work to seal it, but you need to be careful. Urethane is rather inflexible when it cures, so if you don't get it sealed the first time, you may have a hard time getting it sealed. It will also bond the rubber to the paint, so you may damage the gasket and/or paint if you ever have to replace it.

The correct sealant is butyl rubber sealant. It stays flexible and will flow into gaps between the gasket and the sheet metal.

If you paid Safelite to replace it, they should seal it for free.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #33
ItWillBeSlow

What is safelite charging to do this install from those that have had it done?

Sorry for the hijack..
Old 01-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #34
Jimjific

Truchster,

Thanks for the response. My plan was to only seal between the glass and gasket so paint shouldn't be an issue. Do you have a source for the other type of sealant? I can return the urethane if I can find what you suggest. The 3M product will be a little bit of a pain since it is a tube like a grease gun and doesn't use a standard caulk gun and I was going to have to make some kind of plunger that seals the back of the tube.

Jim

Old 01-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #35
truckster

Here's a link to a CRL sealant Amazon sells:

CRLAURENCE777BLCRLBlack777ButylRubberSealant -... CRLAURENCE777BLCRLBlack777ButylRubberSealant -...
The stuff in the pint can flows more easily, and that's what I used when I was doing windshields years ago, but it requires an applicator that's similar to an oil can gun. The caulk tube is a little stiffer composition, but it should work for you.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #36
Jimjific

Truckster,

Thanks for the link/advice. I ordered a tube of it. Would you know if you can use this stuff in the winter or am I going to have to wait until it warms up in the northeast? Also, how dry do the surfaces need to be? I ask since the gasket leaks I imagine there will be moisture still in the gasket/window interface.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #37
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjific View Post
Truckster,

Thanks for the link/advice. I ordered a tube of it. Would you know if you can use this stuff in the winter or am I going to have to wait until it warms up in the northeast? Also, how dry do the surfaces need to be? I ask since the gasket leaks I imagine there will be moisture still in the gasket/window interface.

Thanks,
Jim
Since I used the stuff that comes in the pint can, I'm not sure how well the stuff in a caulking tube flows, but I would suspect you'll need it to be at least in the 50s for it to flow well. There might be some data included on the label.

The surfaces should be as dry as possible. The drier it is, the better seal you'll get.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #38
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Let me clarify , the video shows them starting at the top ,well you don't have to your starting out fighting gravity ,second the video shows them pushing the seal off the glass edge onto the truck again the glass has to get back into the gasket to seal so that's more work and wrong , Third they stop the video before they do the corners and then show the finished install "problem ?", and if I remember correctly they are using a hook tool ? well that just leads to scratches and torn gaskets SO..... , To each their own but the video is wrong ,Look at the service manual .
Just wanted to respond with some thoughts about our video since it was brought up.

We produced this video specifically to help guide people on this forum because so many were having issues.
  • To address some of the comments in this post. First off, the reason we start from the top down is so that the sharper angled top corners help center the glass/gasket in the opening. It also makes it easier to install those top corners by starting with them and getting them seated. Working from the bottom makes it a little harder to get the glass/gasket centered since the bottom corners have more of a gentle curve. Also once the bottom and sides are in, by the time you get to the top there will be quite a bit of pressure in those corners which makes it hard to pull the rope and press these corners in. Some people have experience breaking the glass this way. Sometimes the trim may even come back out.
  • Not sure the point you're trying to raise about pulling the seal off the glass!
  • Not showing the corner install? We show the technique of pulling the rope in a circular motion when going around the corner.
  • Hook tool? This is a standard piece of equipment in any auto glass technicians tool box and used in scenarios like this. The pointed end faces the rubber not the glass, so not much chance to scratch if you're aware of what you're doing. There is a ball tipped version though if anyone is really concerned.

We work closely with the auto glass market, actually, since 1987 and Greg who performs the install came from a national auto glass company and has over 20 years experience. We feel that this is the best way to perform this install, but certainly not the only way. Like you said, “to each to their own”

Derek

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #39
truckster

Derek,

Thanks for your post. I had over 25 years in the glass business, and I always installed the 67-72 Chevy/GMC trucks and the old Jeep Wagoneers starting at the top. It just puts less stress on the glass.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #40
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I feel the glass s the issue. Safelite has their own glass imported from China. It is garbage in my opinion. It is thinner, it is bubbled, not cut right and I feel when your glass is bubbled the edge of the glass is not flat. It sits inside the gasket at an angle. Look at the glass and you will see it is not flat through the center. I bet your wipers don't touch the glass all the way either from the beginning of the stroke to the end. Buy pilkington glass and you will get better results. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #41
BB72CHEVKT

Funny this came to the top today. My burb is at Safelite right now. I got the 67-70 trim and they are using Pilkington glass this time. I also asked them to get a 67-70 precision gasket but I am not sure if they did. I had a precision 71-72 gasket to start.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #42
Grumpy old man

Derek , As with most things there are always more than 2 ways to skin a cat , My comments (opinion )was based on the fact that many guys replacing their glass haven't been doing it for years as a profession and may only install 1 windshield in 1 project truck with limited help and may never install another for the life of their truck . a blunt plastic glass tool (maybe send one with the new gasket ) may save an expensive paint repair . also 2 pieces of masking tape and a tape measure should be all one needs to center a windshield and use gravity to their advantage ,mild dish detergent or silicone spray will greatly enhance the ease of installation when applied to the opening many service manuals advise the use of mild lube .and as I already said to each their own I was only trying to give 35 years of experience and thought to the casual DIYer ...
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #43
BB72CHEVKT

oh, I did provide the shop the Precision video
Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #44
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
oh, I did provide the shop the Precision video
Whats sad is that you had to provide any type of assistance to any professional glass shop on how to install a gasket type windshield .
Old 01-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #45
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Whats sad is that you had to provide any type of assistance to any professional glass shop on how to install a gasket type windshield .
I agree. It is what it is. It is still not perfect but 95% and they claim it won't leak. If it leaks it goes back everytime. They did get the Pilkington clear glass so maybe that helped as well. I will post some pics tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #46
Grumpy old man

I offered to have my son who lives in Dallas install it for free ... I wish you the best ...
Old 02-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #47
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I hate the poor design of our WS sealing. They always leak, so make sure your installer guarantees against leaks for life, or you will be shelling out $50-$100 every time they have to be "re-sealed"...and shop around for prices. They really vary!
All replacement glass is much thinner than OEM, even Pilkington, and that can't help with the sealing problems. thinner glass does save $$$ and break easier for more WS jobs.
Try to space the glass & rubber evenly, to prevent "puckering" from stretching in the final areas. If the trim pops out during installation---take it all out and start again! You can't force it back in. Remember, the most important part is on the outside. The seal must lay down flat & smooth against the cab frame, then you can seal it.
The above example is bad on the outside and ugly on the inside.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #48
Grumpy old man

Auveco ,Carries most hardware and glass sealers , do yourself a favor and avoid any type sealer when installing your glass and install it clean and deal with any leaks after installation , you really shouldn't have any if installed correctly !
Old 02-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #49
chipflyer

And also do yourself a favor and follow Precisions video to a T and you won't have any trouble with a windshield install.
Thanks again for the great video Derick, many people have benefited and many more will in the future I'm sure.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #50

Am considering installing one myself. Intend to remove from a 69/70 and install in 72. The 69/70 has the chrome trim. Would you recommend a new gasket? I'd like to pull the old one w/the gasket intact and then just rope it in to the 72. Any thoughts? Local glass shop charges $90 to install. May be worth it on this one to just write them the check.
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote