The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
rotten67

Cab floor repair

Is there anyone that specialize in repair of the cab floor? This project is stalled because I'm not sure how to go about fixing that part .
rotten67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
darrellyates

Re: Cab floor repair

Use the search above for floor repair or floor replacement. Any competent body shop can replace the floor in your truck. I had the entire floor in my truck replaced, as after sandblasting the bottom basically was full of small holes. I'll try to post a couple of pictures. I just did this with a Camaro as well. You have to cross brace the cab, then drill all the spot welds out, then it basically drops out. Of course, you have to have the cab off of the frame for this, so you must tear it down completely.

I've seen posts on here where people do it one side at a time, and leave it on the frame, but I don't see how that saves any time or money. Plus, when you buy a full floor, it comes with all the mounts and bracing pre-installed, so everything is new once you put it in.

After raising into position re-drill all the holes and spot or plug weld it back together then seam seal everything, and you are ready to scuff, prime and paint.

It's a big job, but really nice to have everything solid again.

Good Luck. Will try to post a couple of pictures...
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You can look through my build thread (link "The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck" in my signature line) and see what I did. I didn't take the cab off the frame, and I didn't need to brace the cab anywhere. I did one side at a time. I was in no rush, and took my time. This was my first attempt at sheetmetal/patch panel repair. I had to fabricate numerous pieces all on my own with simple hand tools. The main thing is access to a welder. I also bought a cheap-o Harbor Freight hammer and dolly set.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
rotten67

Thanks guys I'm a mechanic by trade I'm not good with body work. I've seen a lot of bad body work dont know how to find body man that will actually take the time to do it right. Thought maybe someone specializes In these trucks would do it right. I wouldn't mind hauling it to them for peace of mind.
rotten67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #5
68Gold/white

I think, you have to become a paying member, then you could advertise somewhere here, needing your work done???

Just keep looking through threads here, hundreds of threads with home fashioned metal work, and done correctly!!!

Moderator's can you point him in a direction? Thanks!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I see you are in Cheyenne. Call WyoTech. I'm sure they know someone that can do good work that isn't a newbie student.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
clay68c10

If you are willing to go to Ft Collins, I have a friend there that does good work. His name is Frank and he works at a shop called The Motorway. Give them a call.
I went to WyoTech with him back in 2001. He will take the time to do it right.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
sick472

If you any interest in doing this yourself...the floor pans are a great place to learn. You can buggar them up learning and it all gets covered up in the end. That's where I started the sheet metal work on my 72 and before it was over I had done cab corners, rockers, lower doors, cab subframe, & one entire lower bedside. It's not fantastic, but for my first full rusted out restoration...it's certainly something to be proud of. You'll know pretty quick if you have a knack for it, and if not, take it to a shop. You will understand why they charge so much for sheet metal work...it takes alot of time to do it right.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I see you are in Cheyenne. Call WyoTech. I'm sure they know someone that can do good work that isn't a newbie student.
Or maybe they need something to work on.....
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote