The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Ole Blue 68

Ole Blue's Low Buck Ram Air Project

Let me start this thread with the disclaimer that this project was strictly for fun so nobody better accuse me of being I wanted to build a ram air kit as cheaply and as quickly as possible. Here's a breakdown:
  1. Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner Assembly (courtesy of Ironhorse)- $45 shipped
  2. 2 6"X48" Flexible Air Ducts (courtesy of Lowe's)- $20
  3. 1 Roll of Duct Tape- $0, I got about 8 rolls laying around the garage
Total time invested- @30 minutes

The first logistical issue I had to face was finding something that would work as a duct and fit the intakes on the assembly. I went with 6" diameter flexible air ducts found in most hardware stores since it was wide enough and could be bent to fit the oval shape of the intakes. Plus it was flexible which helped with routing it.

Picture #1 shows the finished product. A closer look at the passenger side duct shows some "adjustments" that were made to overcome hood clearance problems experienced with this wide of a diameter.

Picture #2 shows the masterful craftsmanship used during assembly....

The next logistical issue that came up was finding appropriate placement of the two intake ducts to ensure a proper flow of fresh air. Since this was a low budget affair and I didn't really want to go cutting my radiator support, an alternative solution had to be found. A recent thread discussing the use of the side markers inspired my solution. (As seen in picture #3)

So, I know the big question people are gonna ask is "Did it work?" The answer is YES. I turned the key over and the engine kicked over just like it always does.:-)

Ok, to answer the more specific question of "Did I notice any gains/difference?" The answer is no, not one bit. Then again, after reading all the threads on ram air, I wasn't really expecting to. This was really about killing some time and having fun waiting for dinner to cook on T-day.

If I was gonna seriously revisit forced air, I'd probably go with a cowl induction hood. It would probably work much better and would require a lot less fabrication.
Attached Images

Ole Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote