The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2002, 09:19 PM   #1
mikep
Used to have a truck

Post started doing bodywork today

I started doing body work on the 68 today. It wont take too long. There isnt any rust other than a quarter sized hole at the bottom of one of the fenders . Rocker boxes are rust free as is the cab so I'll probably be finished up with the body work within a few weeks if I keep at it. There isnt an ounce of bondo on this thing so It's tempting to keep it that way but realistically I dont think I can do it without a small amount of filler to cover the welds to the hole on the fender and to smooth out the front of the fenders after doing metal work as each one has a small dent at the edge. Ive got one real wavy bed outside panel that I may replace . Anyone ever reskinned one side of a bed and have any pointers to share? I havent decided whether to go with side chrome or not although the time to decide is approaching quickly.

[This message has been edited by mikep (edited May 23, 2002).]
Old 05-23-2002, 10:35 PM   #2
cali_surfer

Plastic filler, i.e. bondo, gets a bad wrap. While I wouldn't cover my whole vehicle with it, when applied properly it will survive just fine. People always try to cut corners and rush the job without doing the proper prep work and thats why "bondo" either cracks apart or separates from the panel it was attached to.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:25 PM   #3
jr.chevy

One thing to remember about bondo is not to put too much hardener in it. Over time the paint will peel off of those spot putty areas. I had to learn the hard way.
78 Chevy C 10 4X4
97 Monte Carlo
99 Sportster
jr.chevy is offline   Reply With Quote