The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Question AC Heater Core Replacement Source?

I think I am having a leak on one of the hose connections to the AC Heater core (the one coming from the block). It acts like the hose is loose but I think it is the inlet. I loosened the clamp up, pulled the hose, put it back on and clamped it down. Pretty sure it can't get any tighter but still leaks. Hose is more or less new, so it is not split that I can see.

Anyways, I have already read up on how to get it out for replacement - looks like fun. But I want to find a good source for a replacement, sadly GMC Pauls seems to only have the non-AC Heater Core. I have read that "Mexico Made" or "Part Store" AC Heater Cores do not fit properly.

Soooo, any one have a current good source for a AC Heater Core for a 72 C10 original AC setup?

Thanks!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: AC Heater Core Replacement Source?

I don't think I need a new AC Heater Core, though knowing where to get a proper one would be nice to know still.

My hose goes all the way to the firewall and that is where the hose clamp is/was at. When I had the hose off, after the nub the pipe has an indention - which I think that is where the water was getting through. A day or so ago I had rerouted the block to vacuum control so that hose was not laying on my fuel line. So I think that movement got the vacuum control to the AC Heater inlet out of whack.

I have moved the clamp back right after the nub and I *think* the leak has stopped or at the very least nearly gone. It has stop spewing out, that is for sure. With the hose so close to the firewall, it looked like the inlet pipe area was leaking.

Well, this is what I think as of now at least ;-)

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 03-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
pjmoreland

Based on recommendations I found in other threads, I bought a non-AC heater core from NPD, and it fit perfectly. I don't have any personal experience with the AC version, but they do list one on their website, and it is from the same manufacturer as the non-AC version:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/core.../194463/100664

I hope your leak is fixed because, you're right, it's loads of fun taking this stuff apart. I had a real hard time getting my heater box off the firewall because a previous owner glued it in place with silicone sealant.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Thank you for that link and information pjmoreland!

So far so good, so now I am almost certain I am not leaking at the pipe inlet. Getting that area cleaned up from 50/50 is not so easy. I ended up just spaying some break cleaner around that area and cleaning it up with my shop rag. Started her up and it is still dry.

Looking at that photo from your link, after the front nub its a perfectly round (copper?) pipe. The side it is showing in the photo is where I have an indention after the nub. This indention seem made that way, it looks too uniformed to have been messed up that way. But I can see if you tighten your hose lamp on this area water could get through the hose.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
pjmoreland

Having an indentation in that area seems strange to me. It would be asking to create a leak. Does the indentation run along the length of the pipe, or around it?
Old 03-11-2021, 02:34 PM   #6
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

It runs at the length of the pipe and is in an oval like shape. Kind of like I have dummied on this photo. My image skillz suck but you should get the idea.

The indention does seem "stamped" in - perhaps like a reinforcement stamping?
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
pjmoreland

Seems strange, but at least it isn't leaking now.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #8
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

agreed to that - though at some point these things fail. So I'll have this (and others) to refer too.

Though while it is a pain to replace this thing (darn inner fender), I had an early fox body mustang that I had to block off. The whole darn dash had to be pulled to get to the heater coil. I think I went through 2 winters without replacing it until I had enough F'n cold weather! Though back then I was in my early 20s and getting contorted was much easier than now (in my 50s)! LOL

Old 03-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #9
randy.powell

Hey Rich! If it ends up you do have to replace it I got a good one from Rock Auto. Don't remember where it was manufactured but it' all copper. I just went out to the garage and looked at it to see if it had the part number on the box. I didn't end up using it so it's still sitting on the shelf. I'll take some pics of the labels on the box and heater core sometime today and post them here. Only thing is, I bought it in 2016 so I don't know what they may have now...
RP
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #10
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I do see them on Rock Auto, there are three to select from:

APDI/PRO 9010121
TYC 96119
OSC 98615

None appear to be copper, though the one that pjmoreland gave a link for appears to be copper / brass.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #11
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I went through this awhile back on a non a/c jimmy. Seems like the aluminum cores do not work. Pay the extra for a copper unit.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #12
dmjlambert

Well I think I need one to fix my leak, so I emailed NPD and asked if they could assure me it is actually copper/brass. Rick of NPD wrote me back and said he looked on the shelf and sure enough it is copper/brass. So I'm ordering one right now. We'll see if it fits and is a good one. This is regarding the one pjmoreland gave a link to, the with AC heater core. Thanks, pjmoreland. I've been wondering what to do and was dreading getting an aluminum one. It seems very few places have a copper/brass one left and it's becoming a rare thing.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #13
pjmoreland

I'm usually better at taking photos, but this is the only one I took of the non-AC heater core I got from NPD. The pipes look copper to me. the soldering was a tad sloppy, but it fit perfectly, and it doesn't leak. That's what matters to me. Hopefully you have the same experience with the AC version.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #14
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Well I think I need one to fix my leak, so I emailed NPD and asked if they could assure me it is actually copper/brass. Rick of NPD wrote me back and said he looked on the shelf and sure enough it is copper/brass. So I'm ordering one right now. We'll see if it fits and is a good one. This is regarding the one pjmoreland gave a link to, the with AC heater core. Thanks, pjmoreland. I've been wondering what to do and was dreading getting an aluminum one. It seems very few places have a copper/brass one left and it's becoming a rare thing.

Do keep us posted, I might even pre-buy on to have it in stock! ha!

Old 03-15-2021, 10:27 PM   #15
dmjlambert

Yes I was thinking if this one looks good I may buy another to keep as a spare for 25 years from now when they are all made of plastic.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #16
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
I think I am having a leak on one of the hose connections to the AC Heater core (the one coming from the block). It acts like the hose is loose but I think it is the inlet. I loosened the clamp up, pulled the hose, put it back on and clamped it down. Pretty sure it can't get any tighter but still leaks. Hose is more or less new, so it is not split that I can see.

Anyways, I have already read up on how to get it out for replacement - looks like fun. But I want to find a good source for a replacement, sadly GMC Pauls seems to only have the non-AC Heater Core. I have read that "Mexico Made" or "Part Store" AC Heater Cores do not fit properly.

Soooo, any one have a current good source for a AC Heater Core for a 72 C10 original AC setup?

Thanks!
Word is Wes @ Classic Heartbeat sells a good one.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:48 PM   #17
Richard

Taking your original to a radiator shop to have tested, repaired or re-cored is always an option. No matter where a new one is purchased odds are it will not be as good as the original.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #18
dmjlambert

Good idea. I may take my bad one up to a shop and get that done and then keep it as my spare, if the cost is not too crazy.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:32 PM   #19
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
I went through this awhile back on a non a/c jimmy. Seems like the aluminum cores do not work. Pay the extra for a copper unit.
The aluminum core I was stuck with using in a pinch really sucked to deal with. The tank end was so much larger than the copper original that the mounting clamps didn't even come close to fitting it.

I had to butcher them and heavily modify them to get them to fit the aluminum core and at that it required putting a button head fastener in from the back side so the threads stuck out of the blower housing to secure it in place. It was a bear to get into the housing that way too. I hope it never fails but at least it has a lifetime warranty.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #20
ChevyGuyNC

I'm pretty sure I need to replace my heater core. Factory AC truck. It's got green rusty crap around it. Doesn't appear to be leaking, but I did find heater hoses disconnected when I bought the truck. Reconnected them, and still no leaks but I'm for replacing it before it fails and flood my cab. For an AC truck I've seen you DON'T have to do in the inner fender, just undo the four outside nuts and it comes out from the inside... Hoping that's true.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #21
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

let us know how it works out!

Old 03-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #22
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Found that one can be found (copper) at Summit too - when back in stock in June 2021!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/o...ckup/year/1972

OER 3025322 - OER Heater Cores
oer-3025322