The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
70Stub

Upgrading factory A/C question

I have a factory a/c cab but thinking it might be good to upgrade to a vintage air system. Has anyone ever installed the vintage air but then hung the original evaporator box and equipment on the firewall to give it more of an original look? I don't know if this is even possible. Thanks
70Stub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
Custom 68

Re: Upgrading factory A/C question

I am afraid if it was just the "shell" it might not look right. With the top coming out to the POA valve then to he hose I am afraid if you didn't do it all it would just look fake?
No there are other options as well. Over the winter I swapped out my original evaporator to one out of a 1987 Chevy pickup (R10). This gave me the option to use the orifice and the accumulator and get rid of my dryer. I had previously upgraded my condenser so I left it in place. The weather has not gotten warm enough to do a final pressure check and know how well it is going to work. I look somewhat "stockish" on the AC and hope to have much colder air. My AC didn't work very well. I will know in a month when it does warm up. I am hoping for a great improvement. This was a pretty inexpensive option.
I didn't want to spend the cash on the vintage air upgrade if I can do it with this.
I know this isn't quite what you asked but it is the direction I went and hope it helps with options.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #3
Davidf

When I do my LS swap, I too am going to switch from POA/TXV (R12) system to a CCOT (Clutch Cycling Orifice Tube) system as found on 1987 square bodies for instance. Old Air Products (part #50-7228) will make this easy. I will convert to R134a and try the stock condenser with dual fans. If that does not work, then I will upgrade the condenser as well.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Upgrading factory A/C question

I have the Classic air group updated parts in my stock AC box. I'm running 134-A with orifice tube and it runs 36/38* on low. I had them delete the drier for the Accumulator & orifice. The AC is the same now but with the newer 6.0 LS motor installed.
The old motor 305 had the unit in it first.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 03-24-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:59 PM   #5
kwmech

I also went with the cycling system on my 69 with a 454, only I used the factory A4 compressor and had to fab my own brackets to mount the compressor
Attached Images

kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:03 PM   #6
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Stub View Post
I have a factory a/c cab but thinking it might be good to upgrade to a vintage air system. Has anyone ever installed the vintage air but then hung the original evaporator box and equipment on the firewall to give it more of an original look? I don't know if this is even possible. Thanks
The Vintage Air system is all self contained under the dash, the only things that route externally are the lines to the compressor and a condensate drain. There’s no fresh air intake so you could mount the original “box” on the firewall if you wanted. I doubt the A/C lines in the kit would come out the stock holes in the box so you might have to drill for new locations and maybe route the heater hoses out of the other holes or otherwise get creative.

It could be done and would give the illusion of factory A/C or a more factory appearance. You won’t be fooling many people but I doubt that’s your intention. There are some vehicles that don’t look quite right when you get rid of something so characteristic so I can see why you’d want to do this. I personally don’t like recirculated air very much and will be avoiding Vintage Air in favor of updating like those who posted above.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
StingRay

I'm not a fan of recirculated only HVAC either. It is the reason I will go with an upgraded stock system when I get my truck together. With no fresh if you ever want to drive in cooler weather you only have defrost with A/C on. No fresh and the cab fogs/frosts up almost instantly without the A/C pumping to dehumidify. That is a power and fuel sucker. There are a few months of the year here where you heat in the morning and run A/C in the afternoon. It's not a winter thing. I drive a lot of highway and no I'm not cranking the windows down at 75 MPH all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
The Vintage Air system is all self contained under the dash, the only things that route externally are the lines to the compressor and a condensate drain. There’s no fresh air intake so you could mount the original “box” on the firewall if you wanted. I doubt the A/C lines in the kit would come out the stock holes in the box so you might have to drill for new locations and maybe route the heater hoses out of the other holes or otherwise get creative.

It could be done and would give the illusion of factory A/C or a more factory appearance. You won’t be fooling many people but I doubt that’s your intention. There are some vehicles that don’t look quite right when you get rid of something so characteristic so I can see why you’d want to do this. I personally don’t like recirculated air very much and will be avoiding Vintage Air in favor of updating like those who posted above.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
57larry

spend the money and go with a complete Vintage Air system, heat & cool
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote