The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
dave`12

6 to 8 swap advice please

My 67 c-10 has the factory 250 and the 4 speed manual. I've decided to swap a v-8 into her. I REALLY want to keep the manual tranny, and keep costs down as much as possible.

so I have some questions:

First, I would like to keep a carb and no computer so that I can fix it myself and keep the wiring simple. I'm open to a serpentine belt. Does anyone know what years would make good donors for this swap? I prefer SB, though I'm not completely against BB if an engine at the right price should pop up.

Can I keep my bell housing? I'm worried that I might buy an engine from a junk yard (or wherever) and find it won't bolt to my tranny. what about the flywheel? Hoping I can reuse my clutch etc. Will my starter have to move?

I'm sure I will need motor mounts and some other hardware, do they make a kit, or do I have to buy all the stuff separate? If someone has done this and has a parts list, that would be awesome.

What year radiators would work? I know 67-72 v-8 radiators fit , but I don't want to buy a new one, and I'm sure they would be hard to find. Will others fit without welding?

And here as a potential big problem. The PO added power steering and A/C, both on the drivers side. They are both "homemade" with funky brackets (but they work). I'm hoping to keep both where they are. Did the originals have the power steering and A/C on the drivers side? Will the HEI have problems clearing?

Any other advice much appreciated. The only other swap I ever did was from a 262 v8 to a 350 - and it was a direct bolt in (chevy Monza), so this is all new.

thanx much
Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: 6 to 8 swap advice please

No need to start another thread here that is exactly the same as the thread you started in the Engine and Drivetrain forum.

The E&D forum is the best place to get answers to this question.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
dave`12

Re: 6 to 8 swap advice please

agreed. no answers here, so I went elsewhere. If I knew how to delete this, I would.

thanx for your advice in the other thread

dave