The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2019, 01:45 AM   #1
Livemeyer

Turn Signal indicators. What did YOU do?

When I wired my truck I got one of those turn signals that clamps onto the factory steering column and blinks green when turning left or right. Now I'm contemplating upgrading to a new tilt steering column, which has a GM harness and auto-canceling turn signal arms. Almost a total win, except I lose out on that flashing indicator in the cab to remind me my turn signal was left on for the last two miles. I'm curious what others have done. Drilled holes in the dash and mounted indicators? Got them in your fancy new instrument cluster? Just gone without? Pics please.
Attached Images

Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:13 AM   #2
mick53

Re: Turn Signal indicators. What did YOU do?

The 57 factory turn signal switch will slide right on your column. They are the same on cars I believe. They also self cancel on a stock wheel. The cancel thingy is just a small tab that screws on the back of your wheel. They marry up to the stock wheel so I don't know how it would look on yours. they are easy to find at junk yards so don't pay the $180 for aftermarket ones. I have never paid more than $20 for the switch and wheel. You will need to buy a new internal switch for about $30. My indicator lights are in my gauges.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:34 AM   #3
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
The 57 factory turn signal switch will slide right on your column. They are the same on cars I believe. They also self cancel on a stock wheel. The cancel thingy is just a small tab that screws on the back of your wheel. They marry up to the stock wheel so I don't know how it would look on yours. they are easy to find at junk yards so don't pay the $180 for aftermarket ones. I have never paid more than $20 for the switch and wheel. You will need to buy a new internal switch for about $30. My indicator lights are in my gauges.
I'll do a search online to see some images of what you're speaking of. As for finding an original one I'd probably be hard pressed to find one around here I don't think there's any wrecking yards around here with stuff that old.

Wait...I just reread this...I was referring to the flashing light most cars have in the dash, but I think you are speaking of turn signal switches with self canceling arms. (Oh, I see you say your indicators are in your gauges.) I already have an aftermarket wheel and plan to mount it on an aftermarket column so I would do away with the turn signal switch with green flasher seen in the photo. If you are saying a 1957 steering column uses a self canceling turn signal lever and flashes at the end that could be interesting.

Hey that gives me an idea. Maybe a couple lights could be wired and mounted on the top of the steering column! No holes cut in the dash, flashing light in a very obvious place, could work...
Old 07-21-2019, 02:36 AM   #4
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
This what you're referring to? https://www.brotherstrucks.com/57-59...tinfo/TSA5900/
Old 07-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
1project2many

Consider using LED's for indicator lights. You can find "super bright 12V mini LED green" on the net for short money. Drill a small hole in the dash or in the gauge and press them in. They are cool, colored, and don't require separate housings. Wiring is like a light bulb except that you must pay attention to + and -.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
mr48chev

I'd think on that dash two tiny and discrete led indicators would be just the ticket. Put them between the gauges and life is good. They sell sets of three so you can have the high beam indicator too.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Consider using LED's for indicator lights. You can find "super bright 12V mini LED green" on the net for short money. Drill a small hole in the dash or in the gauge and press them in. They are cool, colored, and don't require separate housings. Wiring is like a light bulb except that you must pay attention to + and -.
Now this, this I like.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
Livemeyer

Still hoping to see some photos from people more creative than me, so I can steal their ideas.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
MiraclePieCo

I have a set of mini LED signal indicators I'll let you have cheap. $10, free shipping. Hurry before moderators delete this post!
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #10
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemeyer View Post
Yes. You will still need the handle and the little piece that screws to the back of the wheel. It's just a tab that cancels it. They are not hard to find because they came on everything from corvettes to trucks. Try online junk yard services. I have an extra but won't be home for a couple of months. The internal switch is about $30. Use the vendor list at the top of the forum. Jim Carter Truck Parts comes to mind.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
va4cqd

i used this on my truck
http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerc...cons-polished/
Attached Images

va4cqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #12
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by va4cqd View Post
That's a pretty slick looking option, though I'd prefer a narrower one without the extra lights, only need turn signals and brights indicator.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #13
Matt_50

Those look neat but is the wiring different for connecting those tiny wires to the main harness wires?