The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #51
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Wow nice build thread..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #52
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Well, I snuck out for a couple hours this weekend and got a couple things done. Actually, I got nothing done. I bolted a few parts on and stared at them, but that is progress, right??

Anyways, from a previous post this pic might look familiar:

The situation is, even with removing the flared portion of the frame rail, the water inlet was still obstructed by the frame rail. Another issue present with this setup was A/C compressor clearance. Most people who put a Cummins in a GM frame need to notch the upper portion of the frame rail for compressor clearance. I have the motor set so low that I was going to have to notch the LOWER portion of the rail. I did not think that would be so cool having the compressor free-balling it down below the frame and coupled with the water inlet fitting issue I decided something else was needed. This is what I ended up with:

I'm not sure of an application. It *might* be off of a Kenworth chassis, but I do not know for sure. It is brand new, but got moist during an event where water was falling out of the sky and it developed the reddish coating on it--I think it might be called rust and the cause of it might be called rain--not sure though ;-). Anyways, it has a separate fitting that mounts onto it for the water inlet. This is great except a fitting is not made that will work for my application--no surprise there. I have my flange made and it is mounted on the housing. I am going to make the nipple for it out of a piece of heavy wall, mandrel bent exhaust tubing to clear the frame rail. The top of the housing will mount a bracket for the bottom of the alternator. This unit mounts the A/C compressor directly above the water inlet fitting up and away from any frame rail interference. Of course with this I needed yet ANOTHER different water outlet fitting (thermostat housing)--I think this is number four. The machined flange on the water outlet fitting will not be used. It looks just like this:

Part of the reason for needing another different water outlet was because a bracket for the top of the alternator was needed. It looks like this:

It is going to get a slight modification later on for reasons relating to lack of space for another part, but that is s story for another day. Now, with all of this, I get to use a different alternator. I decided to go with a nice hefty medium duty truck unit. Dodge alternator on right, MD truck is on left--slight size difference:

Here it is mocked up:

I just went over to Russ's (BadDog) house this afternoon and picked up a part he machined for the lower mount. Cummins makes what I need, but I ordered one several months ago and still have not received it. I guess they are still doing a survey to see if there is iron ore where they want to start mining. Then they will have to start the mining operation, process the ore, get it to a steel mill to be made into a part that I ordered. That being the case, I decided I will make one myself. I also dropped off some raw materials while I was there for him to machine into something REALLY cool that is going to help me deal with another issue that pooped up, but, once again, that is a story for another day.

I was a bit nervous about clearance for an accumulator to fit near the intercooler tube, so I dug out one that I had here and did a test fit:

By the looks of it, I am guessing my eyes were in calibration when I laid it out because it looks like it will fit good. The pic does not illustrate it too well, but there is a decent amount of clearance all the way around it.

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 02:46 AM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #53
70rs/ss

Reading all of this again, I think this is why I initially started planning to do a body swap onto a Dodge frame/running gear. I think that might be the ticket still. if a body lift is needed then that'd be OK too since those are off the shelf parts. You are doing a bang up job, I just wondered if my idea made sense to anyone else but me?? I am on the trail of a decent burb but a 2wd so a good 4X Dodge truck for a frame/drivetrain donor and I am ready to go!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 AM   #54
mosesburb
I had a V-8

It has been done before. I never saw it in person, but I saw a few non-descriptive pics of it. The guy stated that it was easier to do that way--I have no idea how it could be seeing as how most everything regarding clearance issues will still need to be dealt with. The frame rails are set wider so the compressor is not an issue, but all the fun of fitting an intercooler still lies ahead and with the wider rails, fabbing body mounts may be a hoot. Definitley go with a 1st gen Dodge if you go this route. I think engine height is going to be a substantial issue because the motors sat pretty high in those frames. Might be worth a look. You know what is involved doing it the way that I am so you will have something to judge it against labor-wise.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #55
8mpg

any updates? Id really like to see how you mounted your a/c compressor. Im about to tackle this hurdle. It sucks I have to cut up a fresh powdercoated frame
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 AM   #56
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
any updates? Id really like to see how you mounted your a/c compressor. Im about to tackle this hurdle. It sucks I have to cut up a fresh powdercoated frame
Unfortunately, there are no updates as of now. My work schedule has changed dramatically reducing the amount of time available for this right now.

As far as the compressor mounting goes, it will mount directly to the four holes that go into the water inlet housing horizontally. It mounts above the water inlet hole and below the flat surface on the top where the bottom of the alternator will mount. I have not acquired a compressor for it yet, so I can't show a pic of how it will mount. There is no "adapter" or bracket for it--it mounts directly to the water inlet housing.

I dug through my stash of "collected" images and found this:

I do not know any specifics of what this pic is, but it appears to be the same water inlet housing that I am using, so this is what it will look like with a compressor mounted to it.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:04 AM   #57
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Well, after doing some work on the steering shaft in my wife's truck this morning, I decided to try my luck at doing something on the Suburban. Almost immediately it resulted in a pretty good display of blood-letting. It wasn't bad enough that my right index finger knuckle somehow touched a surfacer disc on a grinder that was spinning down and made a 1/8" x 3/16 hole in said knuckle, but while retrieving the bandages from my work bag, I managed to completely open up a wound I created on Thursday with a hammer and drift on my left index finger resulting in significantly more blood than the initial injury created. I was a bit aggravated at this point. I decided to press on and see if I could keep it together enough to get something done. Perseverance prevailed and I successfully accomplished something.

I decided the fun-for-the-day would be the lower alternator bracket that I ordered months ago from Cummins and am still waiting for.

I started with this:

I took a piece of 1/2" plate and cut a piece to fit the top of the water inlet housing mounting to the two rear holes (front hole not used). Then I took a piece of 3/8" plate to make legs that look similar to this:

The legs will go between the 1/2" plate and the 1" round bar that Russ (BadDog) bored a .500" through-hole for me. I welded it all together and ended up with this:

It turned out good. Mounted up and gave some more girth to an already fairly stout upper bracket. While I was doing this, I got a call from Russ and was informed that he had finished machining an uber cool part that I dreamed up to solve a problem that arose in an area near this. I will post details and pics after I get over to his place and acquire the part. Stay tuned.

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #58
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Nice work keep on pluggin away...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #59
Frizzle Fry

Looking good man!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #60
OLDIRON69

Thanks for the write up. I've been looking for a 4BT to drop in a 1/2 ton.
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #61
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Well, I determined a problem that I knew existed was more of an issue than I initially believed. The stock fan from the Cummins has a couple bent blades. Now, they are not bent horribly, but I am not too excited about straightening a fan blade. I did a bunch of research and learned a few things. The first thing I learned was that these fans were known for pitching blades off at speed--not good, but even worse when the stock viscous clutch is replaced with a direct drive clutch that has no "cushion" to speed up. The clutch engages and it is at speed right now. This is not a good mix with a fan known to pitch blades.

The next thing I learned is that this fan is not correct for the fan hub I am using. A few posts back there are pics of the differences in the fan hubs. The main difference is the length of the hubs. The offset one sticks out further than the non-offset one. The fan I have is designed for the longer hub which creates a fitment issue when run on a short hub. This pic illustrates what I was going to do until I realized my problems were more severe than I initially thought:

In the pic it is just barely visible, but the clutch is not threaded completely on to the hub. This is for clearance between the fan and crank pulley. I thought it would be ok because it did not hit and the fan would, in theory, pull away from the engine toward the radiator when engaged. Then I learned how crappy the fan was stock among other things and decided something else needed to be done with it. The stock fan itself is a rather weak fan compared to others I have used in the past which did not thrill me, but what could I do?? The fan is a strange animal. Here are a couple pics to illustrate the strangeness:

Not too strange looking, right?? Well, flip it over it gets stranger:

Add a tape measure and it gets real weird:

Yes, that is about 3/8" of backspacing on that blade. This may be typical of an inline motor, but as a purveyor of V-configuration motors it is real weird to me. Now, to use a stock blade I would have to find one that has LESS than 3/8" on the backside. Hmmm, does not sound like fun. I got no help from Dodge on what fan I could use because there were a bunch of variables. This motor, originally being non-intercooled, got a smaller diameter fan than the intercooled motors. That coupled with the using of the different hub got me nowhere. So, what to do?? I had one of the super-bishin' big block fans (the one that the big seven blade fans from the 70's supersedes to because it pulls so much more air) from the previous motor, but the backspacing on it was tremendous compared to the stock Cummins fan. That's not going to work--or is it?? Hmmm.

Man, that's a lot of backspacing. Probably can't be done so I think I'll give it a shot. Let's see here. May as well try a test fit:

Yup, just as I thought--it hits everything. Oil fill tube, water pump pulley and crank pulley. Not good. Well, what if it could be spaced out a bit. By my measurements it would take a fuzz under one inch. Hmmm, how to make a temporary one inch spacer to test my theory??

A couple pieces of half inch square tubing cribbed should suffice:

Wow, it clears everything nicely. Maybe I am on to something. Now what do I do about making something a bit more permanent than the stacked tubing. I consulted my personal machinist Russ (BadDog). He thought it sounded easy enough and agreed to give it a shot. I went over to his shop with a round slug of metal that i have had for years, a fan hub, a couple pulleys and one dimension--one inch out from the fan mounting surface. Well, it turns out that my slug was crap. It had terrible cracks in it just under the surface and would not clean up.

A new slug will need to be located.

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #62
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Ok, so where to get a slug that will be of decent enough quality to machine what I am envisioning?? My buddy Russ has a friend with a machine shop that has bins of drops (cutoffs) and said he was going down there to get something and he would check to see what he had that we might be able to use. He found an unmarked slug in a bin of 4140 and 4142 drops, so it should be one or the other which would machine easily, but have good strength. Well, it turns out to be something completely different. Russ found this out after beginning the machining process. The material coming off of the slug was like a coiled up razor blade and would not break!! After some investigation, he determined that it is annealed 4340 spring steel. Way overkill for what we need, but it's what we have. He managed to find a feed setting that would break the material coming off into about 4-5 inch pieces (he was getting 4-5 FOOT long pieces of razor blades coming off of it). The material composition did not lend itself well to a nice surface, but it isn't going to be seen, so I don't care. This is what we ended up with: (no pics of it being machined, but here is one of the bolt circle being drilled)

If you look closely at this pic, you can see the one dimension I gave him to start with (one inch):

The threads are 30mm 1.5 left hand threads. They turned out better than the ones on the stock hub. This pic shows the 1/4" hardened pins that Russ added for more insurance in alignment and strength:

Another angle:

We decided to go with the pulley for the long hub so the spacer could mount directly to the hub and have a nice shoulder for strength. Here is a test fit on the motor:

Looks sweet. Let's try the fan now:

It fits good with good clearance to the radiator (pic does not show this well) and 3/16-1/4" between the fan and the oil fill, water pump and crank pulley. Now for a shroud:

It fits good. Not quite half-in half-out, But I'm calling it good enough at this point. I did all of my test fitting with the stock viscous clutch because it is less cumbersome that the Horton that has a leash (Harness) that seems to always be in the way when working with it. The clearance between the clutch and the radiator is great enough that it will clear the Horton fine.

So there you have it. One bishin' piece of engineering to solve a strange problem. Many thanks go out to Russ for his perseverance and skill in turning an otherwise generic slug of metal into spiral razor blades and a hub that alleviates a major roadblock on my path. Thanks again!!

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #63
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

looking amazing so far.... keep us going, want to see more... and thanks for so much so far.
Makes me appreciate my current stock GenV Tonnawanda 454 in my beast.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #64
mosesburb
I had a V-8

I have to stay up real late tonight, so I figured I'd go out in the shop and get something accomplished. I did not know what, so I decided to think outside the engine compartment for a change. Fuel lines, that will be the project for tonight, err, this morning. I was hoping to be able to use what is on the truck for fuel lines, but they run down the right frame rail and the fittings are on the left side of the Cummins. I could not devise a non-hack approach to get the fuel from one side of the frame to the other so, as usual, I had to make something different.

I started with the rear lines. The only specs I have to go by are the diameters of the connections on the motor. The lift pump uses a 5/16" hose barb and the return line uses a 1/4" nipple. My tank is set up for 3/8" line, so I decided to make the feed line 3/8" instead of 5/16". Now, I am no pro at bending steel line, but I have learned a few things over the years. I recently upgraded my equipment from a POS Snap-On tubing bender that did 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" tubing in one tool that was absolutely horrible for anything over 1/4" because the handles are too short, and went to four different Ridgid benders. Man, what a difference that made. Another thing I learned long ago is that one line is simple to make, but making a second line match the first line requires some skill--which I do not have much of. I realized that, lacking this skill, I should start with the larger diameter tubing and match the smaller tubing to it. This made my life much easier as the smaller tubing is much easier to manipulate to match the larger diameter. It took me a couple hours and probably would have taken someone with bending skills about half an hour to forty-five minutes, but hey, time is cheap in the middle of the night.

Anyways, here is what I ended up with: Rear lines (there are two stacked on top of each other)

The variances in the ends are for hose clearance to each other. I am running them in factory type clamps that hold both lines tight together, so at the end the lines they have to splay out or at least take a different angle so that a hose and clamp can go on each one without interfering with the other.

The front lines:

All lines together:

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #65
OLDIRON69

I love this build, I would love to do the swap myself but man it looks like a PITA!
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #66
mosesburb
I had a V-8

I have actually been making some progress on this, but I haven't loaded the pics etc, so here are a couple pics for now.

I got my power steering lines done!!

I know there are a couple people here who have been waiting to see this thing get wired, so here is the start of it. This is the big block harness that I made, grouped in circuits, awaiting routing and fitment.

Those of you who know my stash of GM electrical components will understand when I say that I am waiting on a large box of electrical stuff that I plan on working on this harness once. And nevermore......

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:10 AM   #67
mosesburb
I had a V-8

I figured it was about time to get a belt on this thing. The sticking point that I was dealing with was the tensioner. The water inlet housing that I used has provisions to mount a tensioner bracket on it in one of two locations. One is down low (there are two bolts in the lower holes in this pic) and one upper (you can just make out some silver spots in the pic where the upper mounting location is).

This plate is used to mount the tensioner to the water inlet housing: 3/8" plate

The problem with this setup is the location of the mounting holes in the inlet housing. The upper holes are directly in front of where the compressor will mount. This is bad. The lower holes put the bracket and plate into the frame rail. This is bad also. A plan "C" is going to be necessary. After staring at it for a few hours, I got an idea. The upper alternator bracket is a nice stout piece of 3/8" plate. Hmmm, that is the same as the tensioner bracket....

So I decided to route a belt on it and see if my theory would fly. I grabbed an old belt I had from a 4.3L and routed it around and used a clamp to make it the correct length. It looked like it should work, so I went ahead and drilled and tapped the hole in the plate to mount the tensioner. I did not drill the hole for the indexing pin yet.

It looks like it should work.

Now, it is hard to tell from the pic, but the routing of the belt was not ideal. It came straight up off of the crank to the fan hub, went around that, under the tensioner, around the alternator, down around the water pump and then back to the crank. I got a couple belts this length, but before I even tried them, I decided this was not a good setup. The fan hub had only about 90* coverage. When that Horton fan clutch engages, the belt is going to scream like a scalded ape. I decided to re-route the belt (I'm glad I made this decision before I bored the hole for the indexing pin on the tensioner). Now, the belt comes off the crank and goes to the water pump, wraps around it (over 180* coverage), then goes over to the fan hub and wraps around it (well over 180* coverage), then under the tensioner, around the alternator and back down to the crank. So with this change, I got excellent coverage on all the high-drag components without resorting to adding pulleys etc.

This is what I ended up with:

I was concerned with the location of the indexing hole for the tensioner, but in the end I got it right on the money. With the tensioner pulled all the way back, a belt can JUST be slipped on and when relaxed the tensioner is at 3/4 of its range.

With that done, I started looking in my box of stuff left to put on. Unfortunately, my box appears to have more stuff in it than there is room left under the hood for it. I decided to tackle the horns. They are Delco replacement horns, but they look like something off of a European import. I tested them out and they are loud as hell and have a domestic tone to them (no import squeak horns here). I toyed around with a few mounting locations. I do not recall this thing having horns on it when I got it, so I do not know where they are supposed to be, but I found a place that works well and would otherwise be unused space.

I'm getting closer.......

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #68
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Its looking good man, I am really liking what you have done so far.

Just curious though, why go through all the trouble with the fan when you could just put a set of twin electrics on it and be done with it?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 AM   #69
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Its looking good man, I am really liking what you have done so far.
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Just curious though, why go through all the trouble with the fan when you could just put a set of twin electrics on it and be done with it?
But I do have twin electric fans on it. I know, I know.

I have not had great luck with electric fans in this state and I absolutely, positively, despise a vehicle that can not be run at maximum power under ANY condition. There are mountain passes around here that have signs saying turn off A/C and slow down. When I pass these signs, the throttle goes down and I turn the A/C to high (I have radiators in my S10s with 4.3L's that could keep a big block in a passenger car cool).

I ran into a guy years back that had done a Cummins conversion on his mid-'80's Sub and he had used two electrics because of fitment issues. When pulling long passes at high boost pressures his temp would creep up and not drop back down until he slowed down significantly. It was such a problem for him that he re-designed his cool-pack to make enough room for a factory fan and clutch setup. The amount of air that a stock belt driven fan can pull dwarfs the best electric fans out there. I am *hoping* that the fan clutch wil not engage too often, but I'm sure it will run more than I would like. In my opinion, hoping it doesn't come on too often is better than having to hope the engine temp will go down soon on a ten mile long, 7% grade on a balmy 115 degree ambient afternoon.

I figure doing the engineering now is easy compared to having to go back into the project to re-do something.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:20 AM   #70
mosesburb
I had a V-8

It is time to get something done on the hot side of the head. I got the manifold surfaced (turns out it was very straight already). I mounted it up to the head with new gaskets and new bolts. Then I hung the turbo on it with a new gasket. When I inverted the manifold I created an issue with the oil feed line for the turbo and the drain pipe that returns the oil from the turbo to the pan. The oil feed line was fairly easy as the ends of the line are standard 5/8-11 thread (same as the nuts on 3/8" steel line). This lent itself well to adapting something to work in place of the stock setup.

I went and dug through my stash of AN fittings and line. I found a nice piece of braided line with a teflon liner, but no fittings--drat. Then I found a real nice forged 90 hose end, a nice straight end, a couple of 5/8-11 inverted flare to -06 adapters and then I found a piece of hose (silicone liner) that was about three inches too LONG!! We are in business!! I added them all together, shortened the hose and came up with this:

It clears everything very well and will work good. It even adds a little functional bling!!

Well, I have oil going to the turbo, but I need to get that oil back to the motor after it is used. The inverted manifold created another issue in the drain pipe. I had modified my original, but it looked like horrid crap when I got done with it. I/we could not find one that would work with my setup. I ended up getting one that was close, but quite a bit too long. I did not want to try modifying it the same way I did the first one (leaning over a fender at arms reach holding two pieces of tubing butted together at a certain phasing, then grabbing the welder to tack it together without moving anything is a bit tough with only two OEM hands). I got to thinking about it and got on the horn to Russ to bounce an idea off of him. He said he could make what I thought up. Basically it is a steel sleeve that I can use to position the pipe where I need it, mark it, remove it from the engine and silver solder it together. It worked way-slick!! The flange that bolts to the turbo is silver soldered from Cummins.

This is what it looked like awaiting solder:

So, now I have an exhaust manifold, a turbo (with oil feed and drain) mounted on the motor. All I have to do on this side is to figure out an air filter and hang the exhaust down pipe on the turbo.

I'm getting closer......
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #71
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Thanks!!

But I do have twin electric fans on it. I know, I know.

I have not had great luck with electric fans in this state and I absolutely, positively, despise a vehicle that can not be run at maximum power under ANY condition. There are mountain passes around here that have signs saying turn off A/C and slow down. When I pass these signs, the throttle goes down and I turn the A/C to high (I have radiators in my S10s with 4.3L's that could keep a big block in a passenger car cool).

I ran into a guy years back that had done a Cummins conversion on his mid-'80's Sub and he had used two electrics because of fitment issues. When pulling long passes at high boost pressures his temp would creep up and not drop back down until he slowed down significantly. It was such a problem for him that he re-designed his cool-pack to make enough room for a factory fan and clutch setup. The amount of air that a stock belt driven fan can pull dwarfs the best electric fans out there. I am *hoping* that the fan clutch wil not engage too often, but I'm sure it will run more than I would like. In my opinion, hoping it doesn't come on too often is better than having to hope the engine temp will go down soon on a ten mile long, 7% grade on a balmy 115 degree ambient afternoon.

I figure doing the engineering now is easy compared to having to go back into the project to re-do something.
I can understand where you are coming from. If I can get my hands on one I am going to be doing a cummins conversion myself on my 72 C/30, My plan was to install the new set that Flex A lite has come out with, they are suposed to move 6,600 cfm.

I have run big trucks all over that country out there, you haven't lived till you have done the north end of 17 when it is icy, and you weigh 79,000 lbs!

It is going to be a pretty cool rig when you get it done. I do like the attention to detail you are going at it with, I have seen way too many folks just slap an engine in a bay, and mickey mouse it to make it run. It is nice to see that you care enough to do it right.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #72
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Cool build man. You'll have to post a vid of it running when ya get done.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #73
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

WOW! I only got to look at the pics. you wern't kiding. I'll have to go back and read it. I like
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #74
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Thanks guys!!

I have been getting more done lately, just not had the time to post pics. I tore the brackets and what-not off of the front of the motor and got them painted up and re-installed:

I got my heater supply hose figured out. With the Adel clamp supporting it, it clears everything nicely (it doesn't look like it does in the pic though)

I figured out my lower hose. It fits good, but the pic makes it look like it is sitting on the inner fenderwell. It actually clears by a little bit, but will probably make contact at some point, so I added the anti-abrasion sleeve for good measure.

I finished up the harness off of the Horton fan clutch and added an anti-rotation device. Nowhere in the instructions did it say that one was required, but I did not want to rely on the shear strength of a couple 16ga wires to keep it straight, so I made one of my own. I also added a .125" steel rod to the harness to prevent it from being sucked into the fan.

In this next pic you can see the mounting point for the Horton harness on the outside of the fan shroud. The Adel clamp holds the harness nice and tight and with the .125" rod in there it should be good to go. I got the upper hose done also. I had to do it with two hoses for a couple reasons. The combination of the water outlet housing I used pretty much eliminated the use of an off-the-shelf hose and when I modified the intercooler pipe, I got it just a bit too long on the intake end and it interfered with what would be a stock hose from a Dodge, so I had to piece one together. It worked out pretty good as I am able to use two of the same part number hose which is a typical generic 90* hose, so availability will be good when replacement time comes. I used a piece of 1.75" tubing to connect them. I welded a bead around the ends for hose retention and added two support rods that go down to the cylinder head. I did not any of the rod that I thought I had here, so I ended up using two pieces of .625" solid bar stock. It's a bit heavy, but it won't break and at this point, what's a little extra weight??

I also got my battery cables made. This is the only pic I got that is decent enough to post. With everything being black, they just blend in. I used fine stranded 1/0 cable and put an old-school asphalt coated abrasion resistant sleeve over it for good measure. This is the driver's side battery:

I'm getting closer......
Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #75
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Man its looking good. I might not be too far behind you, if I can get my blazer sold soonish there is a 93 Dodge here that I am looking at getting for the motor, it runs real good, and has been turned up a bit. Probably wont be on the level yours is, but seeing what you have had to do will definitely give me a leg up on it.

I like how you are doing it though, everything looks well thought out, nothing comes off as hackish.