The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #26
SCOTI

Re: Steering coupler or Rag joint

I found this thread while researching options so I'm dusting this one off....

I lost the rag joint on my Dually Sunday night. It was only a few years old as I replaced it when I re-did the suspension on the truck. Now, it failed under extreme circumstances as I needed to straighten the front wheels but couldn't start the truck @ the time. I tugged on the wheel, the wheels straightened some but I needed a little more. Tugged on it again & snap. Rag joint coupler rubber ripped apart.

I put it back together w/another replacement piece but it leaves me lacking confidence in a 'worst-case' scenario. I looked into the Cherokee set-ups but I'm not doing the wrecking yard crawl for 20+ year old wearable parts. I looked up replacement stuff but online local auto parts don't break the models down into Cherokee XJ etc etc etc..... The replacement part that pops up on Oreillys doesn't seem to match my set-up either (3/4-30 spline X 3/4 DD).

Anyone found newer/better options that also work??
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #27
drmatera

I'm with SCOTI, sub'd for responses
drmatera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #28
Wgesnerjr

I used some Borgeson joints and a collapsible shaft on my Caprice Wagon project a couple of years ago. Other than a little extra road "vibration" it was much tighter and really gave it a good sporty feel.

However, the down side is that you'd better have a liquid cooled wallet as their stuff does not come cheap!
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
I used some Borgeson joints and a collapsible shaft on my Caprice Wagon project a couple of years ago. Other than a little extra road "vibration" it was much tighter and really gave it a good sporty feel.

However, the down side is that you'd better have a liquid cooled wallet as their stuff does not come cheap!
I looked into the Borgeson stuff & it is pricey. But, building a better ride sometimes has higher costs associated w/the improvements. I'd prefer the improved steering response for sure as well as removing the rubber isolation ring that has & can fail again. But, I don't want to add to the transfer of vibrations if @ all possible.

I was also looking @ Flaming Rivers "Vibration Resistant U-Joints" as an alternative to combat or minimize NVH transfer. Just thought I would use this as an opportunity to see if others came up w/different ideas since this thread was last active.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #30
Bloodhound

I just installed the Borgeson 935 shaft. $199 on Amazon. Yes it's pricey, but it's safer, tighter, and not going to wear out in my lifetime.

[IMG] upload image free[/IMG]
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #31
SunSoaked

The xj stuff may be 20 years old but there's no parts on it to wear out. I avoid the junkyard crawl by buying one off eBay for $50. Super easy install. Steering is tighter and I'm way more confident in a solid u-joint than a brand new piece of rubber.
Attached Images

SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #32
midnight rambler

when I bought my truck the steering wheel was upside down, I ended up putting a after market steering wheel on it and forgetting about it. is the steering shaft suppose to have the flat spot on the top or bottom?
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #33
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
The xj stuff may be 20 years old but there's no parts on it to wear out. I avoid the junkyard crawl by buying one off eBay for $50. Super easy install. Steering is tighter and I'm way more confident in a solid u-joint than a brand new piece of rubber.
Ok, I'm open to possibilities.

How did you know what you purchased off of e-bay for $50 was in fact the right part? Did you purchase it from a vetted source/vendor?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #34
SunSoaked

I got mine from this place. No issues with price, service or product. Website says he has 10 available. You want the xj shaft from 84-96
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cherok...YAAOSw5cNYQbIM
Old 07-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #35
SCOTI

Quote:
I got mine from this place. No issues with price, service or product. Website says he has 10 available. You want the xj shaft from 84-96
Thanks for the link. I did look before but the price ranges varied (as did the sellers). E-bay was kind of hit-N-miss for me before so I'm hesitant still.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #36
SCOTI

Quote:
What did you do for the column end?

I haven't studied mine in-depth yet as I just quickly put it back together so it was mobile. I know the end of my column has a 1" DD connection that utilized a 3/8" bolt through it & the upper portion of the collapsible shaft. Your pic looks like it mounts straight to the column (splines possibly??).
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-19-2019, 12:37 AM   #37
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
What did you do for the column end?

I haven't studied mine in-depth yet as I just quickly put it back together so it was mobile. I know the end of my column has a 1" DD connection that utilized a 3/8" bolt through it & the upper portion of the collapsible shaft. Your pic looks like it mounts straight to the column (splines possibly??).
Its almost a direct bolt on to the column. You have to clearance the inner shaft about 1/16th of an inch so the groove allows the pinchbolt to slide thru. A round file or burr grinder did the trick in about 30 seconds. Both ends of the xj shaft are identical to the chevy.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #38
SCOTI

Quote:
Its almost a direct bolt on to the column. You have to clearance the inner shaft about 1/16th of an inch so the groove allows the pinchbolt to slide thru. A round file or burr grinder did the trick in about 30 seconds. Both ends of the xj shaft are identical to the chevy.
Ok, I guess it just looks different from the angles/pic. I checked out the link you provided. Seems he's getting closer to $100 a pop for the used set-ups listed now. I researched further & found new units for $25 more so I might just do that.

My thought is buy & try a new one. If I think there's too much NVH transmitted through the steering I'll re-sell the 'lightly' used part on E-bay or C-list & opt for the pricier aftermarket vibration reducing U-joints w/collapsible shaft. Either way, I'll have more confidence by eliminating future rag-joint coupler related failures.

I appreciate the info & feedback!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #39
drmatera

Quote:
Just ordered one from him for my '81 K10
drmatera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #40
SunSoaked

Quote:
Ok, I guess it just looks different from the angles/pic. I checked out the link you provided. Seems he's getting closer to $100 a pop for the used set-ups listed now. I researched further & found new units for $25 more so I might just do that.

My thought is buy & try a new one. If I think there's too much NVH transmitted through the steering I'll re-sell the 'lightly' used part on E-bay or C-list & opt for the pricier aftermarket vibration reducing U-joints w/collapsible shaft. Either way, I'll have more confidence by eliminating future rag-joint coupler related failures.

I appreciate the info & feedback!
Just make sure it's for the 85-95 xj. When I was looking at new ones they were going for around $270 but the newer ones 96+ were closer to $125.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #41
SCOTI

Quote:
Just make sure it's for the 85-95 xj. When I was looking at new ones they were going for around $270 but the newer ones 96+ were closer to $125.
When I'm searching, I'm using '89 as the vehicle year model. It's easy to remember since that's what year my Dually was born.
Crown has them for <$125. OMIX-ADA had them @ <$110 (both new). I might go pick-up the Crown piece tonight. My search says Summit in Arlington has it in stock.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #42
focusedontheprize

Quote:
When I'm searching, I'm using '89 as the vehicle year model. It's easy to remember since that's what year my Dually was born.
Crown has them for <$125. OMIX-ADA had them @ <$110 (both new). I might go pick-up the Crown piece tonight. My search says Summit in Arlington has it in stock.
How did you do on this?
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:10 AM   #43
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
How did you do on this?
I picked one up on Saturday. I'll prob work on the install tomorrow or Tuesday night. Too hot & sticky during the day. The part I got appears nice & was only ~$100.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #44
Pontiac1976

Quote:
I replaced mine last fall
when i ordered the part at first it seemed there was only one used
Dorman 31011
this puts my steering wheel out 180 or upside down
called and ordered the 31015.....wrong size

called dorman was told "they have never heard of this upside down before"
asked at a GM dealer "someone may have changed something"
before i turn my wheel around,is this normal?

Two ways to fix this take the rag joint off as the person flip the rear brace 180 when put it back together, so you can just take apart flip the rear brace. Or just take of the steering wheel re clock it. as I did both as long as you had the wheel gear straight before you start taking it apart & gear box is not to wear out it should be good after.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #45
rgunlock

Does the 85-95 xj shaft work for any year of square as "almost a bolt on"?

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #46
SunSoaked

I'm not sure. I thought I read somewhere that the older squares have a double D shaft on the steering box end instead of the splines? Otherwise, yes.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:12 AM   #47
SCOTI

So I did a test fit for each end tonight. Column side slid together fairly easy after slightly speading the end apart. I also used a scotch-brite wheel to buzz it clean. I was able to get the bolt seated w/o filing the column side as well. Then I did the box side. Slid together easy once slightly spread open.

After that, I played around (w/the box end seated) & filed some reference marks for measurements.

Not sure how easy it will fit to final assemble though vs the rag joint version. There just isn't much wiggle room to wedge the XJ shaft set-up in place based on where the pinch bolts go. I know its not something that comes apart regularly,..... but.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #48
SCOTI

SunSoaked (or others that have done this mod), what was your procedure for the install??

I took measurements of the shaft w/the 'box' end seated 100%. With it bottomed out against the steering box, I scribed a line on the opposite end of the new XJ shaft @ the end of the column (the scribed line gives me a dimension w/the shaft fully seated). I also measured the amount each end of the shaft required to be properly engaged/seated when installed (~.750" @ each end).

Using those dimensions, it seems something else is going to need to be moveable to get the new shaft installed (this is just a preliminary assessment & not factual).

When I pulled the shaft away the required amount to achieve that .750" seated dimension @ the box, it didn't move far (maybe .500"). So to be able to wedge the shaft in between the box @ the bottom & the column @ the top while still getting .750" engagement @ both ends is going to require some give.

Is there enough give @ the shaft joints when installing the shaft between the fixed distance of the two ends (frame mounted box; firewall mounted column; maybe not quite .750" engagement top & bottom but a little less/yet equal amounts)?

Or did you 'over-collapse' the shaft & then have to heat it back up to allow expanding it enough to seat properly (the full.750" @ each end)?

I can figure it out.... But if you have insight to offer, I'll def take it into consideration so I don't make a mountain out of a mole-hill.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #49
SunSoaked

You have to melt the plastic bushing out first. There are several threads about how to do this. I used a propane torch. Once it begins to ooze out, just pull it apart. DONT breath the fumes. Once it cools (may need a little cleaning out) it will telescope to the needed length. Add a little grease to keep it from seizing. There are videos in YouTube.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #50
JHILDE

SCOTI, it looks like there is a 14:1 straight ratio box (instead of the 16/13:1 variable) coming out soon for our trucks from AGR (Ft. Worth). That with a Borgeson shaft should provide a decent feel and steering.
JHILDE is offline   Reply With Quote