The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
jason999

Attaching New Side Glass to Window Channel

Hello,

I bought new glass and a roll of glass setting tape from Classicparts.com . I removed my old windows and cleaned up the channels and today I tried to install the new glass. I have to tell you that it was an extremely frustrating experience. I could get one end to start if I started hitting it on the end. When I tried to start by hitting it in the middle of the channel, I got no where. I didnt break the glass or get injured but thats the only good thing that I can say.

Ive searched the forum and other sites but I found no real useful information. One person did mention soaking the tape in a solvent first. I had never heard of the solvent so I didnt try that.

On to adhesives... I have read about some people using RTV but others say not to for some reason. At this point, it RTV or Urethane.

What about construction adhesive? Anyone ever try that? I have a few tubes of loctite laying around and its cheaper than Window Weld (urethane).

Any thoughts?
jason999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
'63GENIII

Re: Attaching New Side Glass to Window Channel

I'll probably get slammed for this but I used Permatex Ultra Black (in the pressurized bottle with the trigger) when mine popped out of that channel. Just didn't have anything else at the time and I really needed to get the door back together. It was a breeze to install and while maybe not the right thing to use but it has held up for over 2 years.

I kind of cringed when you said you were hitting the channel on. My luck would be a pile of glass if I did that.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
68JOHNDEERE

You have the correct parts, and had the right idea. What has worked for me in the past is to warm up the glass setting tape with a heat gun or hair dryer, then using electrical tape fold the glass setting tape over the edge of the glass that goes into the channel then tape it to the glass. I then use a soapy water solution and mist the glass setting tape, then proceed to install the glass channel onto the glass using a rubber mallet. I have a couple of layers of cardboard on the working surface to protect the glass. I also have had to use a wooden dowel, or hardwood stick of some kind to hit the center of the channel so I wouldn't bend the roller section. By warming the setting tape it softens it to conform to the glass, then by lubing the setting tape make the channel install easier. Hope this helps.
68JOHNDEERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Pappyx3!

My situation may have been a little different then yours, because my glass came loose from the sash. It was the first time I installed any glass but here's what worked:

Roll the regulator down to it's lowest point

Got the window positioned in the side channels

Pushed window up to the closed position, taped it to top of the door

Wind the regulator back up about 1/2-3/4 closed

installed the set tape into the sash

Remove the tape holding the window closed and slid it down to the sash

Once I made sure the glass was positioned in the sash as it should be, I wound the window up all the way left over night.

Trimmed excess tape that stuck to the window

Hope it helps,

Pappyx4!

John 3:16
Pappyx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
paulspickupparts

I have never used this brand of setting tape. Probably too late to compare thickness to the original . Years ago we had an old timer that cut and installed glass for overy 30 years. He had about 4 different thickness of setting tape. Some great ideas by previous posts. Good luck
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
biohazardbill

Similar question. I am actually window welding my windows to the channel. What is the best way to install this? Can the window channel and the track channel still be combined and installed with the window glued in? Tried to get the screw out but one is stripped. If i can easily put it together all at once I wont worry about separating them.? hopefully that makes sense. I dont want to glue it while in place. trying to keep mess at a minimum.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
jason999

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
Similar question. I am actually window welding my windows to the channel. What is the best way to install this? Can the window channel and the track channel still be combined and installed with the window glued in? Tried to get the screw out but one is stripped. If i can easily put it together all at once I wont worry about separating them.? hopefully that makes sense. I dont want to glue it while in place. trying to keep mess at a minimum.
I used 3M Window Weld on mine tonight. I think I understand your question.

That window weld is pretty messy. I wouldnt even consider trying to glue it in place!

You need to install the window in the channel and leave the bottom piece of the channel attached, before you put it in the door. There are instruction for installing the window(with channel) in the door, online. If you need instructions, I'll be glad to type them. Installation isnt hard. Just take your time and you will probably need to pull the door apart slightly to get the channel in without scratching paint. You will need to rotate the window clockwise until the channel is vertical and next to the window to lower it into the door.

My screws were stripped too. I got them out but I can't find new ones so far. Anyone know where to get the screws for the bottom of the channel.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
jason999

Thanks for the posts. Heating the tape sounded like a good idea. Maybe my tape was too thick.

I was ordering windows from classicparts.com and I saw the tape with a vague description. It was something like - used to set windows in channels.

For future searchers, I would advise you not to buy their window tape. If you are going to buy it, I would research it a little. It wasn't really expensive, but I hate throwing away money for nothing but frustration. Plus, my windows should have been done last night.

The 3M Window Weld, which is what I used to set my vent windows, is expensive but it forms an incredible bond. With the adhesive, I installed the windows ina few minutes with little effort.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
morethanstock66

This post is making me feel very anxious about replacing my window regulators and seals..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...45#post6595745
67 LWB Fleetside (Annabel)350ci/SM420. 7 Year Restoration --R.I.P.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633867
morethanstock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #10
68JOHNDEERE

You are correct the setting tape does come in different thicknesses. If anyone else is looking at setting glass into a metal channel I would suggest finding a local Automotive Glass Replacement shop and ask if they would have any of this material. The setting tape is available from C.R Lawrence, but it is in a large roll.
68JOHNDEERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
biohazardbill

Everything went smooth... except the vent glass... a few issues and I will have to most likely pull it and redo it. Keeping the window track attached to the regulator slide track was the way to go.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #12
OlySezHey

I bought some parts from LMC to do my window, and what they sent me was called rubber insulating material, you guys say tape, like it has adhesive on it? my glass just pulled away from the channel trying to roll down the window today. Trying to figure out how to do it right!
Forgot to mention, it's a 72 Sierra Grande.
Genesis 1:1 - Revelation 22:21 🙏
'72 GMC C1500 Wide Side Sierra Grande
'77 Chevy C20 CCLB (went to go get it 4/29/19!!!)
'96 Chevy K2500 Ext cab
'97 Chevy K1500 Tahoe (I gotta stop lookin' at CraigsList when I'm bored!)
'57 Chevy 6400 (coolest piece yet )

Last edited by OlySezHey; 06-24-2019 at 10:24 AM.
OlySezHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
jbgroby

You never said what year, but on the 60-62 the frame is held onto the lower channel with 4 screws. I decided to simply bring the frame, glass, settign tape and screws to a auto window shop and paid them $25.00 to set the glass.,

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=718048

Last edited by jbgroby; 06-24-2019 at 10:15 AM.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
OlySezHey

I edited my original post. It's a 72 Sierra Grande.
Genesis 1:1 - Revelation 22:21 🙏
'72 GMC C1500 Wide Side Sierra Grande
'77 Chevy C20 CCLB (went to go get it 4/29/19!!!)
'96 Chevy K2500 Ext cab
'97 Chevy K1500 Tahoe (I gotta stop lookin' at CraigsList when I'm bored!)
'57 Chevy 6400 (coolest piece yet )
OlySezHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #15
paulspickupparts

I found this on Chevy talk. Read down until you find the poster that worked in the glass shop. It pretty much mimicks what the old timers procedure that did our glass. Good luck.

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...php?tid/278007
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote