The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #26
mcnally351

Re: New to me 78 burb

Nice burb! I have a light blue 86. What back spacing are the wheels? Love the torque thrusts !

77 k5 Cheyenne 2wd 5.3 4l60e project
mcnally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #27
smokehouse

i can't remember i just ordered them from a guy on facebook and i just told him a c10 truck and they fit great they are 8" in the front and 10" in the rear. wheels and tires were only 1100 cash. i thought was a great deal.

i love the tow mirrors too they are not going anywhere.
smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #28
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Well done.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #29
mcnally351

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
i can't remember i just ordered them from a guy on facebook and i just told him a c10 truck and they fit great they are 8" in the front and 10" in the rear. wheels and tires were only 1100 cash. i thought was a great deal.

i love the tow mirrors too they are not going anywhere.
Cool thanks

77 k5 Cheyenne 2wd 5.3 4l60e project
mcnally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #30
smokehouse

This is a long shot but does anyone have a used gear vendor that attaches to a sm465. i think i'm getting closer into buying one for this project. Does anyone sell them for a discount on this site that you know of.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #31
swissarmychainsaw

I'm assuming you are looking for improved gas mileage?

I have considered a lot, different options and fell into something that might help. (and gas here is close to $4 than $2.)

I've looked for Gear Vendors on craigslist for years, and they always seem to be the price of half a transmission (or more) and they are used.

I thought about putting in a 'newer' tranny with more gears and stuff.

Then I ended up gettting a Suburban with a carbed LS in it, and that thing gets in the mid teens for gas mileage. Stock TH350/NP203 (part time), has tons of power and sounds great.

If your going to spend several grand on this, and you will, consider just getting a used 'crate' - ready to roll - LS.
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #32
Old65C10

I love your Suburban, it is perfect. The wheels and tires look great as well as the stance.
I have a 90 V2500. If I could have 2 Suburbans, my second one would be just like yours, but with a 73-74 grill and two tone (blue with white inset)
Keep up the good work, I love to see these nice old trucks mildly customized in a way that does not cause permanent damage. Someday it may be worth a lot more stock than modified.
Old65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #33
smokehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old65C10 View Post
I love your Suburban, it is perfect. The wheels and tires look great as well as the stance.
I have a 90 V2500. If I could have 2 Suburbans, my second one would be just like yours, but with a 73-74 grill and two tone (blue with white inset)
Keep up the good work, I love to see these nice old trucks mildly customized in a way that does not cause permanent damage. Someday it may be worth a lot more stock than modified.
thanks that's what i was going for when i built it because i still want to use it like a truck to tow my vw to shows and haul my family around. i think when i'm off for Christmas i'll put the lowered shackles on it and just go one more inch in the back. my next thing i want to do is either install efi or gear vendor i'll just have to save up.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #34
AJC

You could go with an auxiliary gear box. I mean 2 sticks are better then 1 right? Advance Adapters sells the Ranger Torque Splitter. It's a .73 overdrive where a gearvendors is a .78. I put some numbers into the rpm chart and here is what I got.
Name:  Over drive.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  59.0 KB
Old 08-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #35
smokehouse

I was at frog follies last weekend and i did see one of those a866 trannies for sale it was a good price so i'm really thinking about calling him up and buying it in the next couple weeks. The guy had it in his hotrod and changed out to an automatic. the only thing i have been reading is that the stick will not be in the same hole so i would have to cut another hole in the hump and cut a hole in my carpet. I really don't like doing that if i don't have too. that's the cheapest overdrive i can think of. I think it's a .73 overdrive too.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:28 AM   #36
AJC

A 78 should still have a bolt in trans cover so you could always find a new one to cut up. You would still have to cut the carpet either way. The NV4500 is always an option. If you look around you can find one cheap. It too is a 0.73 overdrive. I do think heavy towing will suffer with an a833. It may work for your needs, so on your current trans try towing with out using first. The a833 has a 3.09 first gear the sm465 has a 3.58 second gear. So it should give you some idea, but a sm465 second gear is still 0.49 lower. If your look for more here is a good thread on it. "What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmission?" Also down below is that same chart with the a833 ratios plugged in.

Name:  Over drive 1.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  53.4 KB
Old 08-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #37
smokehouse

I see your point regardless i'm going to have to cut the trans cover and carpet and if i don't want to cut the floor i would have to go gear vendor. i'll do some more research and see which route i want to go. thanks for the charts.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #38
smokehouse

I'm wanting to buy a headliner for my burb but every place i have been looking only offers the one with the rear cut out. i think it would make more since if they made one that didn't have the cut out and the you just cut on the dotted line if you have rear air. mine is a scottsdale and only came with front air.

i'm also thinking about buying the sniper efi soon i know a few people that work there and i live in the town that makes them so i think i will try it out. we will see how that works and then go from there and get the gear vendor later because i love using low gear with a trailer getting gravel and mulch and live to have overdrive. i hope next year to do a vortec 350 swap to get that extra hp for towing my vw's to shows. The true test is go over Mont Eagle to a couple shows.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #39
engineer_gregh

Very nice burb! I've thought about an over drive on my 71 BB truck, but quite frankly I can buy a lot of gas for the cost of the gear vendors. If I did add an over drive it would be gear vendors.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #40
smokehouse

Ok I have been thinking about doing a top end for my truck over xmas break. I believe the old 350 only has like 180 hp and i'm wanting to be able to just get around 300hp. A new ls motors are just a little over that so and my old 2011 truck did great towing my vw to shows no problem even up mont eagle it did fine so I just want to get that out of my 350. Me and a friend at work get a week off and we thought about pulling the motor to freshen everything up and clean and put a new Throwout bearing and clutch. It smokes at start up so i know the valve seals need to be replace but why spend money on those heads. I think i want to lean towards a vortec style aluminum head does anyone have any suggestions. While it's out I have been reading that the summit 1100 cam is great for towing. I just need to figure out what heads are good for that type of application. i read somewhere that i would be spending most of my time in the 2500 to 3500 rpm range anyways. While i'm doing this upgrade i'm going to go with the sniper efi with the whole kit with the dizzy and the spark box. My burb also has 3.73 and plan on a gear vendor down the road to hit those gears between gears with my sm465. Let me know on the heads.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #41
smokehouse

btw i have had a cracked windshield since i've owned it so i turned it in on my insurance and they came out last week and put it in for me looks so nice. i wasn't there to help him and he didn't put the seam in the middle of the windshield and that bugs me a little but the chrome looks good. and i notice the other day that it leaks in the corners after a good rain so i will have to look into that.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2019, 02:09 AM   #42
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I like your plan. There's been much more cam talk over the years in the truck section of the square forums and there's one guy in particular that always seemed like he had a lot of experience in getting the most out of stockish motors. Here's a thread for some ideas and the guy I was thinking of is Rich Weyand. Not to discount anyone else, but he used to post a lot about what you're thinking of doing. Good search fodder. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #43
smokehouse

Well it's cyber week and i'm thinking about the edelbrock 2022 top end kit. it states you get 315hp with 381tq that is wonderful for me exactly where i want to be. I was wondering has anyone else ran this kit and how do you like it and does it run on 87 octane?
Old 12-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #44
smokehouse

During Black Friday I ordered my heads and intake. i'm just gathering stuff up so down time will be limited. Ihave to finish my vw panel bus at Christmas and i'm hoping to start on the burb after that. I do have a back up car so i'm good. i just finished installing my heater in my garage last week did it all by myself turned out pretty good.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #45
smokehouse

i was going to lower the rear a little bit in the back to even it out because i think the rake is killing my front tires. i have been trying to figure out is if the c10 shackles are the same for c10 to a c10 burb. looks odd does anyone know if they will fit in the hanger or not.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #46
swissarmychainsaw

Quote:
i was going to lower the rear a little bit in the back to even it out because i think the rake is killing my front tires. i have been trying to figure out is if the c10 shackles are the same for c10 to a c10 burb. looks odd does anyone know if they will fit in the hanger or not.
Best way to find out is to go to rockauto.com and compare the part numbers.
My guess is if you have two parts that don't look right, ask "is one of these 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton"?

How would the rake harm your front tires? Are they wearing funny?
Cuz I would think alignment is more at play than if the ass is up in the air.
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #47
smokehouse

i'll take a pic this weekend when the sun finally comes back out after all this rain show you the tires i'll look up the part numbers this weekend to see if i got the correct shackles.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #48
smokehouse

Sorry for the delay on the pic the sun finally came out and i took a pic of that i was talking about. i don't think they aligned it right.i was trying to get a pic of the angle not sure if it came out but here is the wear pattern. both side are like this. When i air the front bags up to were i want them to be and the difference from the back is only 2 inches so the rack is not that bad.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #49
72c20customcamper

Quote:
I'm wanting to buy a headliner for my burb but every place i have been looking only offers the one with the rear cut out. i think it would make more since if they made one that didn't have the cut out and the you just cut on the dotted line if you have rear air. mine is a scottsdale and only came with front air.

i'm also thinking about buying the sniper efi soon i know a few people that work there and i live in the town that makes them so i think i will try it out. we will see how that works and then go from there and get the gear vendor later because i love using low gear with a trailer getting gravel and mulch and live to have overdrive. i hope next year to do a vortec 350 swap to get that extra hp for towing my vw's to shows. The true test is go over Mont Eagle to a couple shows.
Seems they only make the rear a/c option headliners. Mine is falling just the vinyl the backer is still good so I bought the vinyl and just going to replace that .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #50
smokehouse

My cardboard is still there but sagging pretty bad. i just just have to cut that back section out as a template and figure something out.