The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
mmaher

63' Deluxe steering wheel issue.

Greetings all. So, i have acquired a new to me 63 LWB C10. Was pulling all the interior out to clean it up and decided to polish up the De-luxe steering wheel it has. The horn ring was broken(ring was snapped in two down near the bottom) , so I was going to try to fix that, so I pulled the steering wheel. Anywhoo….went to put it all back together, and now the horn stays on when I turn the wheel and it is super sensitive. And I couldnt fix the horn ring either. So today was a bust.

Any one have any ideas on what I may have done wrong? installed the steering wheel on post, placed spring doohickey in hole, silver plate next, little hard plastic clear insulator, then the horn ring, three screws to secure horn ring. then cover with emblem on it last.

I saw the install thread by someone and it was very thorough. The only difference was my silver plate had three big holes and three small holes. Whereas, the install thread had only three holes.

It worked before I started (of course) so I am getting something back wonky. If anyone has a horn ring they would sell, i'm in the market.

Thanks in advance guys! Mike
mmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
mmaher

Re: 63' Deluxe steering wheel issue.

So, Does the contact spring that is encased in the plastic housing come out? The ones I see on Ebay seem to be encapsulated. Mine springs out at me if im not careful. Seems as that might be part of my issue.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

It would be good to invest in a shop manual since they have exploded views of different assemblies on the truck...I refer to mine often. Just in case, here is a page link for a column rebuild with the same steering wheel as the deluxe for our trucks:

https://www.lategreatchevy.com/asset...015%20TECH.pdf
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
mmaher

Thanks for that Vin!!! It's on the way to the house as we speak.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
mmaher

So, problem solved. The only thing I did different was to assemble the parts on the horn hub and then stick it on the steering shaft. I dont really understand how that fixed it, but it did. So, Ill call it a win. I did replace the horn activation wire with a replacement for ebay.