The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #26
dsraven

Re: Loose/Bad bearings in steering column

when I said watch out for the wire I meant where it comes through the column down a bit further. it's been awhile since I did one of these so going from memory here. isn't there a little cover over the hole where the wire comes out? a kinda slotted hole in the column? you gotta fish the old wire up and connect the new wire to the fish so you can draw the new wire down the tube? am I off base on this whole thing?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:24 AM   #27
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
when I said watch out for the wire I meant where it comes through the column down a bit further. it's been awhile since I did one of these so going from memory here. isn't there a little cover over the hole where the wire comes out? a kinda slotted hole in the column? you gotta fish the old wire up and connect the new wire to the fish so you can draw the new wire down the tube? am I off base on this whole thing?
Well... I had taken electrical tape and looped around the column about 6 times holding the horn wire in. I couldn't remove that bearing completely without getting a little slack, which meant removing the electrical tape. I was heads up enough to not pull that wire all the way out, since I figured I might need it.

I currently have my horn wired to a dash switch installed where the choke lever used to go. I never bothered to try wiring up the horn to the horn wheel on the steering column, because even though I knew the wire went into the column, I didn't know where it ended up. Now that I know, I figure I'd have to rig a wire on the steering wheel side to the horn button from that column bearing race somehow. Weird to think that 12v would just be sitting inside the column like that, but I suppose it's been like that in cars and trucks for years.
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #28
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemeyer View Post
Well... I had taken electrical tape and looped around the column about 6 times holding the horn wire in. I couldn't remove that bearing completely without getting a little slack, which meant removing the electrical tape. I was heads up enough to not pull that wire all the way out, since I figured I might need it.

I currently have my horn wired to a dash switch installed where the choke lever used to go. I never bothered to try wiring up the horn to the horn wheel on the steering column, because even though I knew the wire went into the column, I didn't know where it ended up. Now that I know, I figure I'd have to rig a wire on the steering wheel side to the horn button from that column bearing race somehow. Weird to think that 12v would just be sitting inside the column like that, but I suppose it's been like that in cars and trucks for years.
I believe the horn button connects the ground and not the hot so if it shorts the horn just stays on but I'm no expert.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:38 AM   #29
mick53

Quote:
Hey I noticed this old one had the horn wire welded or soldered to the lower race of the bearing. You said to watch out for the horn wire, do you think if I get a new bearing I should do the same, solder or weld it to the bearing? Or should it be run up to a part of the wheel somehow? My Grant steering wheel has a horn button with two connectors on it, I assume one is for the horn wire lead and the other is to go to ground.
The new bearing will have a wire on it. It's just easy to break if your not careful. I believe up thru 57 they are all the same column tube but I would call. I put factory 57 turn signal switch on my 53 and it slid right on.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:18 AM   #30
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I believe the horn button connects the ground and not the hot so if it shorts the horn just stays on but I'm no expert.
Oh, duh, yeah I forgot, it's completing the circuit on the negative (ground) side, of course! That's the way my dash switch is wired too. one side to horn, other to ground.
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #31
mick53

Quote:
Oh, duh, yeah I forgot, it's completing the circuit on the negative (ground) side, of course! That's the way my dash switch is wired too. one side to horn, other to ground.
It took me about 10 years to understand the concept.