The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
akart

CVR starter install ??

I installed a new mini CVR starter on my build and it gives clearance info. I took off the cover plate back of the engine and I can't get in there to pull out the starter gear to check the fit to maybe put in shims. What to do? Am thinking to just try it and see what happens?? A few days until I am ready to fire it up. Engine is in the truck. 465 trans.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Bloodhound

Re: CVR starter install ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by akart View Post
I installed a new mini CVR starter on my build and it gives clearance info. I took off the cover plate back of the engine and I can't get in there to pull out the starter gear to check the fit to maybe put in shims. What to do? Am thinking to just try it and see what happens?? A few days until I am ready to fire it up. Engine is in the truck. 465 trans.
You put positive power with a jumper wire to the starter solenoid WITHOUT the main battery cable connected to the starter in order to make the pinion pop out and into the flywheel. Hopefully then you can check the clearance.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
akart

Re: CVR starter install ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
You put positive power with a jumper wire to the starter solenoid WITHOUT the main battery cable connected to the starter in order to make the pinion pop out and into the flywheel. Hopefully then you can check the clearance.
Okay, Hooked up a switch & jumper wire to the small solenoid and the starter gear went in and out just fine. W/a small dental mirror and a flash light I was able to see the gear gap which looked good. It's running.
Thank you very much!
akart is offline   Reply With Quote