The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2019, 11:00 PM   #2776
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Put my five minutes in on something I didn't think I had to do and it sucks. Out of the blue this morning something hit me on my rear axle. The spring pads were about a half inch closer together than they are suppose to be. I had ignored it thinking that it won't make a difference moving the spring a quarter inch in on each side, that's close enough I figured. Well, what hit me was, what is one side is where it belongs and the other side is off the whole half inch, or what if one side is even in further than that, I hadn't measure to the end of the axle to see if they were at the correct distance from the end. So sure enough, one side was in a half inch, CRAP. So I figured I would cut that one off and then leave the other. Well, then I got to looking at the angle the rear end would be at where they were mounted, it was WAY off with the third member pointing up! Geeeez, I cut them both off and will clamp it all together until I have the engine tranny and height where I want it then get the pinion angle right and weld them on.

I mean, come on, that's the right way to do it. I was just dreaming that the last guy had welded the perches on there right. One thing that was real nice, the dudes welds sucked so they was easy to remove.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:12 AM   #2777
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
today I finally got my hood installed.
I'm used to seeing your truck with no hood; I probably won't recognize it now ;-)
Old 02-26-2019, 02:03 AM   #2778
MARTINSR

My five minutes got me repairing the rear end housing where the perches were. So I got something done on the truck.
Then I got a piece made for the trunk floor of my brothers '39. His is rusted, he bought this patch from a guy and it's only a little less rusted than his!

So I used it as a pattern and made a patch for him.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #2779
MiraclePieCo

This is ridiculous. Snow has been on the ground for a full month here now. I've never seen that in my six decades living here. Since my garage is filled with the typical homeowner stuff - bicycles, lawnmowers, kayaks, etc - I usually move my panel truck into the driveway to work. Not possible for a month and no end in sight in the long range forecast. Snowing again now, and an entire county north of me without electricity for a week. Tried to eat at a local restaurant but they were closed because they couldn't get food through on the highways for a couple of days. So alas my truck languishes in the garage and I sit on my butt day after day waiting for Spring.

Anyone else old enough to remember what scientists were predicting in the 1960s-70s? Looks like they were right!
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #2780
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
This is ridiculous. Snow has been on the ground for a full month here now. I've never seen that in my six decades living here. Since my garage is filled with the typical homeowner stuff - bicycles, lawnmowers, kayaks, etc - I usually move my panel truck into the driveway to work. Not possible for a month and no end in sight in the long range forecast. Snowing again now, and an entire county north of me without electricity for a week. Tried to eat at a local restaurant but they were closed because they couldn't get food through on the highways for a couple of days. So alas my truck languishes in the garage and I sit on my butt day after day waiting for Spring.

Anyone else old enough to remember what scientists were predicting in the 1960s-70s? Looks like they were right!
I hope you're not serious. If so, read about the 1922 "Climate Change".

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/warm-welcome/

Weather is cyclic. There is change going on, but it's nothing the supposed climate change "experts" have got a handle on. Predicting stuff, however, does make them feel important and sometimes even gets them a paycheck.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #2781
mr48chev

Not a whole lot of progress going on around here unless you count snow shoveled paths.

I did almost get out the the 51 1-1/2 ton though.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #2782
mr48chev

We didn't have enough snow to talk about all winter until February. I ran around outside in flanel shirts and no jacket a lot in Janurary and was getting stuff move aound so I could work on my shop and in February we have Had around 2 ft total snow in three weeks.

We are supposed to get the tail end of the storm that Mirical Pie Co is gettng sometime in the next 24 and so far I haven't had to shovel the whole 400 ft but am afraid that the time is coming.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #2783
MARTINSR

WOW!

Brian

Old 02-27-2019, 12:03 AM   #2784
MARTINSR

My five minutes today was bringing my axle and steering goodies to the UPS store shipping it off to SIDS to be dropped and all the steering linkage modified, WHOOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

Old 02-27-2019, 03:25 AM   #2785
DransportGarage

Sorry to see all the snow, guys! We've been lucky here in SW Ohio for the last several years. The plow was out once this year, and not at all last year (or was it the year before?). Conversely, in 2002 we got 14" the day after Christmas, and it was 25 below in 1977, when people were walking across the Ohio river:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rXnNJhnfeo
Old 02-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #2786
Dyslexic Dog

Sorry for the thread drift but I always like to engage the deniers. Rate of change. X squared. The peaks and valleys have not changed as much as the frequency. Weather is different then climate. Scientist theory is a theory that you test the data with. Guess what? Lots and lots and lots and lots of data support it. Of course you could always just believe a political oped piece instead.
Dyslexic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #2787
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexic Dog View Post
Sorry for the thread drift but I always like to engage the deniers. Rate of change. X squared. The peaks and valleys have not changed as much as the frequency. Weather is different then climate. Scientist theory is a theory that you test the data with. Guess what? Lots and lots and lots and lots of data support it. Of course you could always just believe a political oped piece instead.
...figures lie and liars figure... Read the 1922 "facts" again.

(OK. Dyslexic Dog is right, I'm off topic. My fault. You guys can take a few more shots, but I'll shut up.)
Old 02-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #2788
Kevin Mac

I'm still changing my mind on my hydroboost install. I just wasn't comfortable with reservoir on firewall so I made another adapter plate to slant the HB and bough a new reservoir without as much angle. It will fit under floor with couple inches to spare. I will have to fill with syringe but figured how often do you have to add fluid.
I don't know how you guys build from ground up, it would take me 10 years with changing my mind all the time. If anybody wants my 1/4" aluminum adapter plate and aluminum master cylinder push in adapters I made pay shipping and they are yours. The push in adapters have 1/8" pipe thread.
Mac
Attached Images

Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #2789
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Mac View Post
I'm still changing my mind on my hydroboost install. I just wasn't comfortable with reservoir on firewall so I made another adapter plate to slant the HB and bough a new reservoir without as much angle. It will fit under floor with couple inches to spare. I will have to fill with syringe but figured how often do you have to add fluid.
I don't know how you guys build from ground up, it would take me 10 years with changing my mind all the time. If anybody wants my 1/4" aluminum adapter plate and aluminum master cylinder push in adapters I made pay shipping and they are yours. The push in adapters have 1/8" pipe thread.
Mac
VERY nice engineering!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #2790
MARTINSR

Yep, good stuff Mac!

Brian

Old 03-01-2019, 01:44 AM   #2791
MARTINSR

I got the heater motor rewired tonight. I would like to get the whole thing restored and waiting for installation, we well see. I need to have the core pressure tested, I'll see if I can get that done tomorrow.

Brian

Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #2792
MiraclePieCo

Still snowbound here, big snow boulders pushed up by the plows across my driveway, so work on truck is5 limited. Electricity was out and no internet for 3 days. Using my phone to post this message. You may have heard about the Amtrak passengers stranded for days when their train became stuck in th snow near here. The only thing I've done on the truck is install my inside rear view mirror - whoopee!

Edit: Just found this: the Governor has declared a State of Emergency for my county:

Oregon Governor Kate Brown Declares State of Emergency in 10 Counties Hit by Winter Storms
Oregon Governor Kate Brown has declared a state of emergency in ten counties because of severe winter storm conditions. Brown made the declaration Thursday for counties including Coos, Curry, Deschutes, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, Klamath, Lane, Linn, and Marion. In a news release, Brown said the declaration will provide additional resources and the potential for federal highway system money for road fixes. The Oregon Office of Emergency Management will coordinate state resources from police to transportation workers to the National Guard to support local communities as needed. The resources will help communities recover from heavy snow and ice accumulation, high winds, flooding, and landslides. The state of emergency will last 30 days unless Brown ends it before then. In this region, Douglas County has been the hardest-hit area. The Douglas County Board of Commissioners and Douglas County Sheriff's Office have received many requests from people who want to help.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 03-02-2019 at 05:32 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #2793
DransportGarage

My five minutes (well, two hours.). I'm trying to figure out how to do a pocket for my sun visors and flames in my headliner. This is just a piece of cardboard and some scrap high density 1/4" foam and vinyl. I got incomplete distribution of glue because it was too thick, which caused bubbles in the vinyl, but I think I can do this if I throw this Harbor Fright gun away, pull out another one, and open a new can of Landau contact cement.
Attached Images

Last edited by DransportGarage; 03-01-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #2794
idbeast

Well my 5 minutes was more like 7 hours of wet sanding everything except for the cab and bed cover, then loading it all up and taking it to the body shop for paint!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:40 AM   #2795
MARTINSR

My five minutes didn't do a damn thing ON the truck darn it, boxed up some stuff I sold on eBay to buy stuff for the truck though.

Brian

Old 03-02-2019, 02:07 AM   #2796
mr48chev

Bought 245 bucks worth of firewood to keep the house warm. I did look up some parts for the truck while waiting for the wood to be delivered. Now I need to finish splitting my mom's wood and bring the splitter home and do mine.

With all the snow on the ground I can't do much on the shop or the truck.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #2797
mick53

I took the king pins out of a 53 1/2 ton axle to give the spindles to a forum member. It's been a while since I did this and forgot what a pain it is. 20 ton press and torch. When they finally let lose they were hot and angry.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #2798
MARTINSR

I am beat, don't know why but I am beat. I got out there and did some little crap. I am actually pleased with what I got done, a little on my heater, got up in the attic and some things inventoried, I got something done just not much for a whole day.

Brian

Old 03-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #2799
DransportGarage

Cut the foam for the headliner flames...
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #2800
Dongray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
My five minutes today was bringing my axle and steering goodies to the UPS store shipping it off to SIDS to be dropped and all the steering linkage modified, WHOOOO HOOOOO!

Brian
Hey way to go! My sids front end looks pretty sweet with the drop and There were no issues with dealing with Sid or assembling.
Dongray is offline   Reply With Quote