The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2019, 01:23 AM   #3151
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I was just in the break room at work and I noticed this Street Rodder magazine from 1995...

Brian
1995? Time for some new magazines in your break room
Old 05-08-2019, 02:11 AM   #3152
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
1995? Time for some new magazines in your break room
LOL, really!

Today I got the hood bolted together and started laying out the plans for the sectioning. I got a stubbed toe though, my first template I cut worked out really funky, got to clear my head and look at making the cut in a different place, we will see.

The thing that I spent the most time on was looking for the hinge bolts. I have them, I know I do and I can't find them. Went to my log of all my parts and went to that box and nothing! WTH? Seems I removed them at some point and they are lost now, crap.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #3153
DransportGarage

Quote:
LOL, really!

Today I got the hood bolted together and started laying out the plans for the sectioning. I got a stubbed toe though, my first template I cut worked out really funky, got to clear my head and look at making the cut in a different place, we will see.

The thing that I spent the most time on was looking for the hinge bolts. I have them, I know I do and I can't find them. Went to my log of all my parts and went to that box and nothing! WTH? Seems I removed them at some point and they are lost now, crap.

Brian
That's what you get for having a truck with weird hinge bolts!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #3154
mosel70

Put in new headlight dimmer switch. Old one broke, stayed in high beams all the way home Sunday night. Something tells me Las Vegas driver’s knew I was behind them. lol
Attached Images

mosel70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:04 AM   #3155
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

That's one seriously modified truck - doesn't look at all like a 47-59!
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #3156
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
That's one seriously modified truck - doesn't look at all like a 47-59!
LOLOL, most the frames here look like an S-10 too!

Brian

Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #3157
MARTINSR

Next step, sectioning the hood. I started by cutting one of the side supports that goes across from one side to the other of the hood where the hinges bolt. Simply raising the lower section up the 2.5 inches I sectioned the cowl. I sectioned the cowl under those hinges so this made sense to me. I did this a while ago but got back into it last night now that the fenders are on. It's looking good so far.

Spent most the time out there making bushings for the hinge bolts so I could DO SOMETHING while the bolts I ordered come.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2019, 01:08 AM   #3158
MARTINSR

Got one of my doors ready for the last app of primer for paint ready. Then came home and spent some time on the hood. Just looking and looking and my eyes are opening to options I have and how to attack it.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #3159
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Just looking and looking and my eyes are opening to options I have and how to attack it.

Brian
One long horizontal pie cut just above that emblem location should be a start?

Hand me that Sawzall...I'll fix it right up for ya!
Old 05-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #3160
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclepieco View Post
one long horizontal pie cut just above that emblem location should be a start?

Hand me that sawzall...i'll fix it right up for ya!
roflmao
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #3161
MARTINSR

Quote:
One long horizontal pie cut just above that emblem location should be a start?

Hand me that Sawzall...I'll fix it right up for ya!
You are pretty much right!

Brian

Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #3162
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
roflmao
Sawzall and beer!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #3163
MARTINSR

LOL, unless I get a bunch of energy I am done for the day with only detail blocking on the other door during a slow time at the shop today.

Brian

Old 05-11-2019, 12:02 AM   #3164
idbeast

Quote:
Sawzall and beer!
Many extreme mods in my past have started that way!!!

My day other then having foot surgery has been to get my bed steps mounted, put in the last 18" piece of brake line with the rear brake adjustable valve installed, and getting the throttle linkage attached to the carburetor linkage. I'll cut it to length tomorrow.
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #3165
MARTINSR

I didn't get out to the garage today for much of anything other than to just look at that hood to come up with my next step. But I went to a car show and this did me a LOT of good. I analyzed some trucks like mine just to see how I am doing on my body work. I am NOT going for perfect and I wanted to see if I was slacking off too much. There are a couple nice trucks in town and I was able to analyze them and I was blown away at the flaws I saw, real nice trucks, they aren't perfect and I feel much better now.

Brian

Old 05-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #3166
DransportGarage

I've made a little progress on the wiring lately, and did a little body work on the bed sides. I'm about 80% complete on the wiring. Once wiring and bed body work/paint is complete it will be on to final assembly !!!

But instead of truck work, today was a FULL day on our 3-acre wooded lot, complete with burning several TONS of underbrush and fallen trees (California, take note!). I told my wife that there must be a mistake on my birth certificate. A guy that is 71 years old shouldn't be able to haul and burn logs for 9 hours like I did today. (I also told her I'm taking 2 weeks off to work in the garage. We'll see how that goes.)
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:54 AM   #3167
MARTINSR

Ok guys, what do you think? I have laid out 2 inches of tape from the center of the cowl cut where I sectioned it 2.5 inches (well it was a Z cut from the widest point between the hinges up to the center of the hood opening right below the hinge mounting points) over to the center above the front emblem holes. I am thinking cutting this out of the hood, then setting the two parts together and with the upper going behind the lower then scribe off the line for a perfect cut of 2.5 inches. I also thought I would bring the cut down to eliminate the side emblem mounting area that has a recessed area and a bunch of holes. Might as well get that out of the picture so I don't have to deal with it. What do you think?

I also got the inner brace on the left side mapped out for cutting. I was asleep on the couch at 7:30, I guess maybe shouldn't have had that cup of coffee to wake me up huh?

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #3168
NorCalGal

Having me some Mother’s Day madness
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #3169
MARTINSR

LOLOL, yep, hope you find time to take the wife out (if she is a mom) and or your mom.

Brian

Old 05-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #3170
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Ok guys, what do you think? I have laid out 2 inches of tape from the center of the cowl cut where I sectioned it 2.5 inches (well it was a Z cut from the widest point between the hinges up to the center of the hood opening right below the hinge mounting points) over to the center above the front emblem holes. I am thinking cutting this out of the hood, then setting the two parts together and with the upper going behind the lower then scribe off the line for a perfect cut of 2.5 inches. I also thought I would bring the cut down to eliminate the side emblem mounting area that has a recessed area and a bunch of holes. Might as well get that out of the picture so I don't have to deal with it. What do you think?

I also got the inner brace on the left side mapped out for cutting. I was asleep on the couch at 7:30, I guess maybe shouldn't have had that cup of coffee to wake me up huh?

Brian
Brian: I found a good backup hood for you in case you ruin yours ;-)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-GM-OE....c100290.m3507
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 05-12-2019 at 08:51 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #3171
Northern 52

Wouldn't you want to cut on the most vertical parts of the hood possible to minimize offset? I would have thought that would be at the bottom on the sides or as close to that as possible, and the cut wouldn't have to be a straight line, but the nose on the other hand, would be another story altogether. Would a curved line cut actually be stronger and potentially less visible when completed? Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

As for my build, nothing happening lately but a Lokar shifter and a brake pedal mount have both been ordered so I will be back at it soon.
Northern 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #3172
evilokc

Havent touched mine in about a month i think. Ive been doing some work on the house and had time to think about anything else. Today i was thinking about how badly holly carbs sit and thought i should try and start it. Thats as far as i got. That will be my 5 minutes tomorrow. Letting it run in the drive way for 1/2 hour. I miss driving it. Need to get back to it.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #3173
nvrdone

took the truck out for a run to the hardware store. got to the first stop sign, hit the brakes and the pedal went straight to the floor. Its got a mustang m/c & booster. turned around and got it home. jacked it up and found the right rear wheel cylinder had blown an inner seal & was leaking fluid. I thought a dual chamber m/c was designed to prevent total brake failure but I guess I was wrong. oh well back to Napa for a replacement w/c tomorrow.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:55 AM   #3174
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern 52 View Post
Wouldn't you want to cut on the most vertical parts of the hood possible to minimize offset? I would have thought that would be at the bottom on the sides or as close to that as possible, and the cut wouldn't have to be a straight line, but the nose on the other hand, would be another story altogether. Would a curved line cut actually be stronger and potentially less visible when completed? Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

As for my build, nothing happening lately but a Lokar shifter and a brake pedal mount have both been ordered so I will be back at it soon.
That is the most vertical area. I have starred and starred and starred at this looking for that perfect place to cut, I don't see any place better than this. It curves out at the bottom big time so that's out. The cut down the side is at the level the cowl was cut at, which was very vertical. And as it goes to the front there is just nothing that gets any better.

With your suggestion I will go take another look at it through your eyes and see what I see. I am open for suggestions believe me.

It's tough no doubt about it, it's a toughie.

Tonight I got out there and just ran the tape on the other side. Looked at it more, and I will again tomorrow before I cut it.

Brian

Old 05-13-2019, 01:50 AM   #3175
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
Havent touched mine in about a month i think. Today i was thinking about how badly holly carbs sit and thought i should try and start it. Thats as far as i got. That will be my 5 minutes tomorrow. Letting it run in the drive way for 1/2 hour.
I've always tried to start my hobby vehicles every couple of weeks. Doing lots of cold startup and idling however, can occasionally foul plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
took the truck out for a run to the hardware store. got to the first stop sign, hit the brakes and the pedal went straight to the floor.
Yikes! Glad you made it home!