The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
raic65

Power Steering System

Hi Chevy truck family,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, if not, Admins please move. I am losing my power steering after the truck gets up to temperature or after a short drive. It only comes back after the truck has cooled down. The power steering fluid is hot which I think is the issue. A little about the truck. I have a 66 C10 with an LY6/6L90 swap. Used the donor truck's front drive accessories. I am also using an Astro Van hydroboost and a CPP steering box. I've replaced the power steering pump, the power steering lines, and the hydroboost, but see no improvement. I've also installed a 4th gen camaro power steering cooler. I'm hesitant to change the steering box only to find out that didn't work either. Any suggestions on what else I can check? If it's suggested to change the box, is there something I can check in the box that can be remedied before ultimately going that route (some kind of valve for instance)? FYI, the power steering pump has the dual return for hydroboost as the truck the engine came from had hydroboost. Thanks in advance.

Robert
raic65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Power Steering System

Quote:
Originally Posted by raic65 View Post
Hi Chevy truck family,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, if not, Admins please move. I am losing my power steering after the truck gets up to temperature or after a short drive. It only comes back after the truck has cooled down. The power steering fluid is hot which I think is the issue. A little about the truck. I have a 66 C10 with an LY6/6L90 swap. Used the donor truck's front drive accessories. I am also using an Astro Van hydroboost and a CPP steering box. I've replaced the power steering pump, the power steering lines, and the hydroboost, but see no improvement. I've also installed a 4th gen camaro power steering cooler. I'm hesitant to change the steering box only to find out that didn't work either. Any suggestions on what else I can check? If it's suggested to change the box, is there something I can check in the box that can be remedied before ultimately going that route (some kind of valve for instance)? FYI, the power steering pump has the dual return for hydroboost as the truck the engine came from had hydroboost. Thanks in advance.

Robert
I wonder if there is a flow restriction that's minimizing the movement of the fluid thus causing the heat-soak?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
raic65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I wonder if there is a flow restriction that's minimizing the movement of the fluid thus causing the heat-soak?
I was wondering this as well. I'm curious if the issue is in the steering box.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
raic65

So I just wanted to give an update. Power steering appears to be fixed. Had the truck aligned yesterday. I replaced the steering gear box and there was a night and day difference. The old gear box felt almost like a manual gear box (when cold), but was precise. Of course when the vehicle warmed up, the steering was worse than a manual gear box especially with the wide front tires. The new gear box felt closer to a typical power steering gear box. The power steering fluid did not get hot so I was able to remove the gen 4 camaro power steering cooler. I will be driving the truck more often to see how it pans out, but everything looks on the up and up.