The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
pilotXC

4L80E Rear VSS Wiring

Any 4L80E experts know the rear VSS wiring schematic? I have a 2001 transmission and it has a purple with yellow stripe wire and a green with black stripe wire and I'm trying to confirm which is the high speed side and which is the low speed side.
pilotXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
ls1nova71

Re: 4L80E Rear VSS Wiring

Green/black is low, purple/white is high, although with a speed sensor I don't think it really makes any difference which way they are hooked up.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
pilotXC

Thanks... I tried the other way around as Dakota thought and it would not shift.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
ls1nova71

What are you trying to do? Those wires only go from the speed sensor to the PCM, you shouldn't need to do anything with them. You aren't trying to tap into them for a speedometer or something are you?

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
pilotXC

I'm trying to wire a 8k pulse generator to an NP208 transfer case so I have a rear VSS that will transmit a signal to the PCM. I'm having a 1-2 hard shift issue and can't seem to pinpoint what the problem is. I keep getting a 0730 fault code, incorrect gear ratio, which puts the transmission into limp mode and maxes line pressure. I get maybe 1 clean shift before it trips the fault again. So, there is either an issue where the PCM thinks there's a slip in the transmission because input shaft speed is not matching output shaft speed for what gear it is in, or the transmission is actually slipping. I had the transmission rebuilt and the fact that it shifts smooth before the fault trips leads me to believe there is a PCM communication problem, but can't pinpoint what it is as I stated. I originally wired the pulse generator to have grey wire to the purple from harness and black to the green from harness. Dakota Digital told me black should go to ground, grey to high speed sensor and low speed sensor should be bare. They said if it's not grounded it will send erratic signals. I rewired it that way and thought it would solve the problem, but seem to have not done so. The tune is adjusted for the pulse generator and I've had the tuner run multiple variations trying to tune it out, but no success. The person that rebuilt the transmission isn't sure if it's an internal problem or not without tearing the transmission apart again. I'm doing everything possible to make sure we know it's internal before I pull the transmission, but as I said, I lean towards PCM miscommunication since it does shift smooth when the fault is not there.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:04 AM   #6
gmc684x4

Not all manual to vss pulse generators put out the correct signal for a pcm to think its the 4l80e stock signal
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #7
pilotXC

Understood, but this one is supposed to do exactly that... And the tuner that did my harness has done other vehicles with it and not had an issue. Still investigating and need to test the pulse generator to make sure it's operating correctly with correct voltage, so not sure yet if this is the issue or not.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-sen-01-4160
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd109.htm
Old 11-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #8
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotXC View Post
I'm trying to wire a 8k pulse generator to an NP208 transfer case so I have a rear VSS that will transmit a signal to the PCM. I'm having a 1-2 hard shift issue and can't seem to pinpoint what the problem is. I keep getting a 0730 fault code, incorrect gear ratio, which puts the transmission into limp mode and maxes line pressure. I get maybe 1 clean shift before it trips the fault again. So, there is either an issue where the PCM thinks there's a slip in the transmission because input shaft speed is not matching output shaft speed for what gear it is in, or the transmission is actually slipping. I had the transmission rebuilt and the fact that it shifts smooth before the fault trips leads me to believe there is a PCM communication problem, but can't pinpoint what it is as I stated. I originally wired the pulse generator to have grey wire to the purple from harness and black to the green from harness. Dakota Digital told me black should go to ground, grey to high speed sensor and low speed sensor should be bare. They said if it's not grounded it will send erratic signals. I rewired it that way and thought it would solve the problem, but seem to have not done so. The tune is adjusted for the pulse generator and I've had the tuner run multiple variations trying to tune it out, but no success. The person that rebuilt the transmission isn't sure if it's an internal problem or not without tearing the transmission apart again. I'm doing everything possible to make sure we know it's internal before I pull the transmission, but as I said, I lean towards PCM miscommunication since it does shift smooth when the fault is not there.

You probably know this, but there is a little math involved here. Get it wrong, and you get the symptoms that you describe. The sender that you linked is 8k ppm which is much lower resolution than you'd get with the stock 40 tooth reluctor wheel on a 4l80e output shaft (it'd be more along 100K ppm depending on exact gear ratio and tire size).

The factory ECM is going to want the number of pulses per driveshaft revolution. 20168 divided by your tire height (in inches) and then multiplied by your gear ratio (i.e. 3.08, 3.73, 4.11, etc) will give you the number of driveshaft revolutions in a mile for your vehicle.

Since you're generating 8k pulses with your aftermarket sensor in that same one mile distance, divide 8000 by the number of driveshaft revolutions you calculated to get pulses per revolution. It's going to be a lot less than the factory 40 in the tune (probably in the single digits).

That'll be the number you need in your tune and that's all assuming your speedo gears in the transfer case are correct for your gear ratio/tire size. If not, you'll need to adjust the calculations to account for that, too.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
pilotXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
You probably know this, but there is a little math involved here. Get it wrong, and you get the symptoms that you describe. The sender that you linked is 8k ppm which is much lower resolution than you'd get with the stock 40 tooth reluctor wheel on a 4l80e output shaft (it'd be more along 100K ppm depending on exact gear ratio and tire size).

The factory ECM is going to want the number of pulses per driveshaft revolution. 20168 divided by your tire height (in inches) and then multiplied by your gear ratio (i.e. 3.08, 3.73, 4.11, etc) will give you the number of driveshaft revolutions in a mile for your vehicle.

Since you're generating 8k pulses with your aftermarket sensor in that same one mile distance, divide 8000 by the number of driveshaft revolutions you calculated to get pulses per revolution. It's going to be a lot less than the factory 40 in the tune (probably in the single digits).

That'll be the number you need in your tune and that's all assuming your speedo gears in the transfer case are correct for your gear ratio/tire size. If not, you'll need to adjust the calculations to account for that, too.
Thank you for the detailed post. The person who modified my harness has done a few of these 8k pulse generators and tuned it accordingly he has told me. My tires are 285/75/16, so 33" in diameter and gear ratio is 4.11. Doing the math, that gives me 3.184925 pulses per revolution...