The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #101
mel knippson

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Man you are doing a excellent job documenting and restoring your truck .. very jealous..
mel knippson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:17 PM   #102
kxmotox247

Man...great job!
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #103
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel knippson View Post
Man you are doing a excellent job documenting and restoring your truck .. very jealous..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmotox247 View Post
Man...great job!

Thanks guys. The documenting takes a little extra time but its something I can come back to in the future and also gives my family and friends something to follow.

I used to use Photobucket, but now I figured out how to use just google photos so it really makes it easy to post high res pics and its free!

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #104
TA_C10

Inner roof panel - completed:

Well I went back to work this week so progress is going to come slower again but hopefully not too slow... I finished up the inner roof panels this week. It's going to need some filler, let me just say that

The piece over the drivers side door turned out decent, most of it will be hidden so at least it's rust free.

Here is the piece over the driver side door.

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 02-10-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #105
TA_C10

Tanks Inc PA-4 Install - LMC 21 Gallon Side Fill tank

The PO had relocated the gas tank to the rear and used a SummitRacing universal fuel cell with baffles. Worked fine and I originally planned to reuse the tank until I did some extra research on my new fuel system(fuel injected). This truck is going to be a DD, so a quiet and LONG LASTING pump was in order. So I sold the poly fuel cell for $100 which helped purchase the new LMC tank. I went with the LMC tank and PA-4 fuel pump kit because they were much cheaper than the popular boyds tank and also held more fuel.

I wanted the side fill and extra capacity. The truck isn't "draggin crete" with a 4.5 / 5.5 drop and with plans to use a normal 2wd bumper I think I will be fine. I may have to paint the tank if its too visible but no big deal to me. I also plan to put the filler in the bed stake hole up top, or maybe behind the marker light. Not sure yet.

With the LM7 going in for reliability I also needed a new in-tank pump setup with baffle for slosh. So I decided to go with the TANKS INC PA-4 unit. Comes with a Wahlbro 255 lph pump and a little pan that acts as a small baffle in bottom of tank. Here is how I installed the unit.

The PA-4 kit is universal for fuel injection systems. Comes zinc coated with a drop arm that can be cut to fit your tank. After researching the LMC tank I knew there was a flat spot on the top of the tank so I ordered it up and prayed it was a large enough area for the PA-4. Turned out to be perfect size.

I followed pretty much the same video directions provided by tanksinc.com website but with a few modifications... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3jyyOGlD9o

The PA-4 comes with a slotted ring to mount the unit. I used the ring to mark by hole to cut. The PA-4 hole diameter is 4.5". I found large hole saw blades and bit unit at harbor freight, turned out the largest hole saw was only 4.25" but it turned out to be almost perfect size to use because it gave me the ability to use a die grinder and diamond bit to enlarge the hole to the perfect size of the ring. The 4.25 hole saw doesn't cut a perfect hole

Then I slid the PA-4 unit into the tank and marked the front/back for reference later. Then turned the unit upside down and marked the holes to drill.

I then punched the center of my marks, drilled the holes, inserted the slotted ring inside the tank using supplied screws and tack welded it in place with my mig. I cleaned up the welds with the die grinder. Wasn't much to it, pretty simple.

Here is where it got tricky. Because my tank was so large, the PA-4 unit was only setup to be used with a maximum tank depth of 10.5" and my tank depth was 13 and 1/16". So I went down the local hardware store and bought a small piece of galvanized sheet metal. Galvanized because it will be submersed in fuel and I didn't want it rusting. I cut it to size, bend the sides, drilled holes in the center for the screws and it mated up pretty easily to the original unit extending the PA-4 unit the extra few inches I needed so the baffle tank sat on the bottom of gas tank.

Before finishing the install I wanted to seal up the welds I made on the top of the tank. So I bought some gas tank sealer from Eastwood and it turned out to be some really good stuff. I put 2 coats on.

I then

I then proceeded to install the rest of the components in the kit. I used Permatex gasket maker(fuel resistant) under the cork seal that came with the kit and I put a little antiseize on the screw threads as well.

Because the unit was extended I also had to buy another foot of submersible fuel hose because the kit only came with a 6" piece. That stuff is expensive!! All in all the unit turned out pretty solid. The wahlbro should provide plenty of fuel for future mods to the LS and now that it's in the tank it should be quiet and cool running.

The top fittings are 1/4" NPT so I will adapt that to AN style fittings for the fuel lines. The 3rd fitting is the rollover vent valve. And the 2 wires for fuel pump will be soldered and waterproofed later on when I get the engine harness completed and fuel pump relay installed.

I capped off the old sending unit supply line but plan to still use it for fuel level gauge.

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 02-13-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:16 AM   #106
TA_C10

Here are a few more pics of inside the tank. Not really useful just curious what was going on in there while I had a 4.5" hole cut in the top And I cleaned the tank out when I was done with a shop vac first. Then I put a couple strong magnets in the bottom, poured in some WD-40 lubricant, sloshed it around a bunch and that got all the rest of the shavings out. I poured out the WD-40 and wiped out the rest with a rag. Worked good.

"It's only money".
Old 02-13-2019, 12:37 AM   #107
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Tanks Inc PA-4 Install - LMC 21 Gallon Side Fill tank
I also plan to put the filler in the bed stake hole up top, or maybe behind the marker light. Not sure yet.

I vote bed stake pocket filler. I'm looking at doing it too and with a flush cap.

This was a photo in a different thread. I'd probably make my cap more flush and paint it to blend in to the bed. Still looks good though.

Name:  A36C2389-31B3-43D1-B575-AE0AA3F833C6.jpg
Views: 2203
Size:  24.7 KB
Scurry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:29 AM   #108
cornerstone

Very nice write up on the extra large tank install. Someone down the road will really appreciate this since it saves money over the Boyds set up AND increases capacity.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #109
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurry67 View Post
I vote bed stake pocket filler. I'm looking at doing it too and with a flush cap.

This was a photo in a different thread. I'd probably make my cap more flush and paint it to blend in to the bed. Still looks good though.

Attachment 1875168

Yeah I am probably going that route, I just like the idea of it in that position better than anywhere else. I know several have done this but its just cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Very nice write up on the extra large tank install. Someone down the road will really appreciate this since it saves money over the Boyds set up AND increases capacity.

Thank you sir. I can only hope that others will find this useful when doing their trucks. After all I have been gathering most of my information and help from you guys on this site for a while now so it's the least I can do is try and contribute!!

"It's only money".
Old 02-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #110
TA_C10

Sheet metal updates - Passenger side cab corner

Well my cab corner is in. The reproduction piece really didn't fit well. And unfortunately I didn't realize how bad in was until I started tacking it in and wrapping it around the cab as I went. More on this later.

I started out with weld thru primer on the body and the part but I just can't stand how easily the paint rubs off so I scuffed it all down again and shot some eastwood rust converter on it. It states its also an epoxy along with rust conversion so I hope to have good luck with it from here on out. I end up wire wheeling away the paint where i'm going to be welding anyways so what's the point??

I started out like this.....

And ended up like this...

The rest is just cab corner welding. I will say however, switching to .023 mig wire is SOOOO much better than .030. The grinding process is less and it seems to just weld easier on thin sheet metal.

So this piece from the side, can you see how it bows out towards the bottom?

Well I ended up cutting a very small pie cut out to bring the lower part of cab corner back in towards the truck, but the floor pan sticks out that far so the cab corner never would have been straight down anyways.

It didn't bring it in much farther but my pictures don't show the REAL comparison. It helped. Trust me...

The way I did this cab corner was I started on the door side, tacked in the spot welds and then started wrapping the cab corner around to towards the back of the cab and as I was doing this I realized it was off. Which led me to the pie cut(PS: I can't get to the inside of the cab to grind down that pie cut so this needs to be fixed before hand). I realized that just sitting the cab corner over the existing hole and just "eye balling" it wasn't going to work on this type of piece. You really need 2 hands to hold this thing in place and a level. Grind till you get it right the first time, over and over, then burn the piece in. So I will get help on the drivers side

I also still have not welded the cab corner from the underneath side to the floor pan so this will pull it in just a little more as well. I plan to do this work when I pull the cab off the frame one last time for undercoating. As for the rest of the cab corner fitment, it didn't have enough material under the door side to meet with the outer rocker panel so I will also have to weld in a small piece of sheet that I bend myself to connect the cab corner to the rocker.

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 02-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #111
TA_C10

Another Rocker Panel - Drivers side

Moved to the drivers side rocker panel. Cleaned up the floor and door opening with wax and grease remover then acetone paint prep, sprayed it down with epoxy rust converter. Let that dry 24 hours.

If you guys remember I didn't brace my cab when I cut all the rockers out so it sprung like a chicken forcing me to re-align everything myself. I did the best I could with the floor pan using old pieces I cut out and references from each side of the floor to get everything lined back up. It turned out pretty decent, I think I got close as everything seemed to line up well. We will see when everything is done . I test fitted the rocker panel and marked the rear piller where I wanted it and marked where it met the floor pan. Pulled the rocker back off and drilled the holes for the bolts to hold the pillar in place. Last time I forgot this step and had to do it after I had the rocker installed....

Then I test fit the rocker a few more times, drilled my spot weld holes and marked the hole locations to grind off paint.

Got it tacked in a little at a time refitting the door to make sure my gaps were good and finally burned it in for good and coated with epoxy rust converter. It's just what I have right now, rust converter not needed but its an epoxy as well soo...

"It's only money".
Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #112
TA_C10

Roof Seam - Welded up

While I worked on my rocker panel I finished cleaning out the seam sealer on the roof panel. You can't get it all out that's for sure. So I'm pretty sure I have a few contaminated welds in there... I used a wire wheel to get the majority out of the seam, then I used a sharpened chisel to get the rest out. I found that the seam sealer that was sunken down in between the panels would heat up and rise to the surface after a few welds so I would take the chisel and keep scraping it out when it surfaces as I welded the seam.

I'm so close I can taste it.... Here is my list of items left to body work:

1. Drivers cab corner
2. Gas filler hole
3. Rear window seam(very small section of rust)
4. Firewall holes and smoothing.

"It's only money".
Old 02-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #113
Kronald_70GMC

Quote:
Roof Seam - Welded up

While I worked on my rocker panel I finished cleaning out the seam sealer on the roof panel. You can't get it all out that's for sure. So I'm pretty sure I have a few contaminated welds in there... I used a wire wheel to get the majority out of the seam, then I used a sharpened chisel to get the rest out. I found that the seam sealer that was sunken down in between the panels would heat up and rise to the surface after a few welds so I would take the chisel and keep scraping it out when it surfaces as I welded the seam.

I'm so close I can taste it.... Here is my list of items left to body work:

1. Drivers cab corner
2. Gas filler hole
3. Rear window seam(very small section of rust)
4. Firewall holes and smoothing.

Wow you've been busy! Good progress and it must feel good to be nearing the end of the metal work.

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #114
Andyking1203

Looking good!!! Are you also gonna weld up the seam inside the cab as well?
Andyking1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #115
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC View Post
Wow you've been busy! Good progress and it must feel good to be nearing the end of the metal work.
I still have lots to weld but yeah i'm definitely getting closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyking1203 View Post
Looking good!!! Are you also gonna weld up the seam inside the cab as well?
Nah, inside seam is gonna stay. Prob gonna get a headliner at some point.

"It's only money".
Old 03-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #116
TA_C10

Driver Side Cab Corner - PIC HEAVY!!

So today I started to tackle my last cab corner. I didn't like how the passenger side turned out so I went a different route this time. If you look back in my thread you will see the passenger side fit 'OK', but it bowed out at the bottom and therefore wasn't flush when I put a level on it.

The drivers side I cut it all up and pieced the sucker in there. It was worse fitting than the passenger side. It was actually too short from left to right. However on left(door end) I really liked the lip and how it fit wrapping around the corner so did just a little bit of grinding on the lip and sized it up, then cut it off around the corner(cut it in half).

Here it is before I cut in half, you can see the lip looks good on left side. But then next pic you can see how it bows out again like passenger side.

Here you can see how short it is when I wrap it around the corner, then end doesn't line up on the right side.

This is where it is supposed to end up...

So I ended up cutting too much off at the top so I had to add a little material back on the top. Here is how it ended up fitting for me after getting it where I wanted. You can see where I cut in half after wrapping it around the corner.

Here you can see how far it was bowing out. I made several cuts in different places to squeeze the piece and shrink it basically to fit where I wanted it. All the relief cuts got me to where I needed it.

Those relief cuts helped. After hammer and dolly the piece the cuts closed up just right allowing me to get the piece to hug around the corner.

"It's only money".
Old 03-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #117
TA_C10

Driver side cab corner - Continued

So here is where I ended up finishing for the night. I grabbed the other piece and realized that it was going to be really hard to mimic the bottom edge around the corner so I cut it at an angle and welded it to the left corner piece. This way the strip I need to build will be easier and uniform. You can see in the last couple pics how short the cab corner ended up being and you can see how the angle will help be build a new piece to weld in to bring it all together.

Lastly, check out how flush this one is !!!! BOOM!!

I should be able to finish this up tomorrow. Then I will be ready to pull the cab back off again to spray primer, bed liner, then lizard skin ceramic coating to the bottom of cab. Then it goes back on the frame for good!!

"It's only money".
Old 03-03-2019, 11:03 PM   #118
TA_C10

Drivers Cab Corner Completed

I finished the driver cab corner today Man I'm so happy you guys convinced me to switch to .023 wire. It's sooo much easier to get a nice flat weld which makes less grinding work

The rear corner will need a bit 'o' filler but nothing too bad. It's not perfect but I will be the only one who knows

This next piece I started from the top and slowly worked my way down so it was really easy to form the piece as I went and especially when I got to the curves at the bottom. Worked great.

"It's only money".
Old 03-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #119
TA_C10

Rear Glass Channel/Frame Repair

The rear glass channel had rusted out some in couple spots luckily in only one section. I used a single piece of steel instead of 2 sheets butted together so hopefully that won't be an issue... I welded both sides of channel, inside and outside of cab. I didn't worry about grinding it down too much since it will be hidden under the seal.

This concludes the metal work on the cab for now!!! I can now take the cab back off and seal and paint the bottom. Then I will return the cab to the frame.

"It's only money".
Old 03-03-2019, 11:38 PM   #120
Scurry67

Nice job on the cab corner. Those patch panels take she serious work sometimes. You probably mentioned it, but what are you going to use on the bottom of your cab?
Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 AM   #121
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurry67 View Post
Nice job on the cab corner. Those patch panels take she serious work sometimes. You probably mentioned it, but what are you going to use on the bottom of your cab?

Thanks. I'm actually at a crossroads on this. I have epoxy primer for the whole cab so that goes first. Then I will seam seal all of my welds. I have lizard skin ceramic coating to put on but now I am thinking maybe I should first put some kind of rubberized undercoating on before the lizard skin... I dunno...

I have dynomat inside the cab that the PO put on and I plan to redo the areas that I cut out so that is my sound deadner. Then I plan on putting some insulation over the top of that too.

What are your thoughts on this, do I even need the rubberized undercoating?

"It's only money".
Old 03-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #122
Scurry67

Quote:
Thanks. I'm actually at a crossroads on this. I have epoxy primer for the whole cab so that goes first. Then I will seam seal all of my welds. I have lizard skin ceramic coating to put on but now I am thinking maybe I should first put some kind of rubberized undercoating on before the lizard skin... I dunno...

I have dynomat inside the cab that the PO put on and I plan to redo the areas that I cut out so that is my sound deadner. Then I plan on putting some insulation over the top of that too.

What are your thoughts on this, do I even need the rubberized undercoating?

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, i like the lizard skin idea. My plan is to epoxy primer and then use a spray can of rubberized undercoating. Just waiting on some buddies to help flip the cab so I can do it. But awesome progress on the cab. I'm sure you're excited to mate it back with the frame
Old 03-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #123
TA_C10

Looks like the lizard skin can't be applied over rubberized undercoating. It's the other way around however, the rubber can be applied over the lizard skin. So apparently the lizard skin sound deadner is a different type of material. If you use the 2 lizard skins products together, the sound deadner goes first then the ceramic coating over top of that.

So here is what I think I will do.

1. Apply a layer of eastwood rust encapsulator over bare metal.
2. Seam sealer where needed.
3. Lizard skin ceramic coating.
4. Eastwood rubberized undercoating.

This should get me what I am after. They say the lizard skin ceramic coating doesn't have the durable finish that the rubberized undercoating has so it should help protect the underside while the layer of ceramic coating in the middle should still block out the heat. And both of these products together should also act as sound deadner so between the undercoatings and the inside sound deadners and insulation I am putting on this thing should be pretty quiet and keep the temperature where I want it for both cold and hot.

Anybody see any flaws with this?

"It's only money".
Old 03-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #124
TA_C10

Fuel Filler Hole - Welder Up

Now you see it...

Now you don't...

I used left over cab corner sheet to make this patch. Turns out a 3" cutoff wheel is almost perfect fit so I used it to trace my patch. I used a hammer to beat out the shape on a foam exercise pad we use on the floor. Kinda works like a sandbag. I also used the passenger side to shape it a little too.

I counter sunk the piece a little too much however so I will have to built up a little more filler than I wanted too.... I think...

"It's only money".
Old 03-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #125
cornerstone

I did the same thing... I'm hoping to hammer and dolly it out more so I only need less than 1/8" filler.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote