The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
cameo

Clipped frame, Brake question

I was getting ready to plumb my brakes on the weekend, and then the worst thing that could possibly happen, happened......I started thinking

I have a 57, with a 78ish Nova front clip, a 4-link, a 10 bolt diff, and a Summit racing power brake master cylinder/booster kit mounted to the frame.

Looking at the stock Nova plumbing on the front suspension clip, I could use the stock flex hose-end bracket on the passenger side, and the hose-end, tube clamp bracket on the driver's side and instead of sending the tubes up to the firewall mounted master cylinder as was in the Nova, this clamp bracket would be a perfect mounting location for my Line-lock solenoid valve.

Here lies the issue... these brackets where the Nova flex hose meets the tubed lines are now the highest point of the brake line plumbing, as the master cylinder is mounted to the frame rail. will this be an issue for bleeding the brakes.

I am sure there are many "clipped" frames on this sight. what has been done that works? am I over thinking things like I always do?

Not sure how to insert a picture yet, but those that have done this will know what I am talking about.

Please help
Thanks
cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Clipped frame, Brake question

that high point will likely make bleeding a nightmare. what you could do is install a T at that point with a dummy fitting/plug or a bleeder screw at the high point-top of that T fitting. then bleed those spots first before proceeding further down the line. a vacuum or pressure bleeder would help as well simply because they move more fluid at a time without pulsing the fluid like when bleeding the old school way, a pedal stroke at a time.
for pic attachments, go to "manage attachments" below where the text box is. click that and another window will come up with a few lines where you can browse for the file you want to attach. find your pic and hit the submit button. the hit upload. give it a few minutes and you should see the file name show up next to the "manage attachments box. you can click that to ensure it is the right pic. then do it again if you want to add another pic. when done hit the submit reply box like usual.
try it, I figured it out so it cant be that tough. haha.
nice to see another Albertan on here. now, lets see those pics. lol.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
MiraclePieCo

Normal procedure with brake lines higher than MC is to install an inline check valve (2lb assuming they're disc brakes). This prevents fluid drainback and maintains slight pressure on the brake system (simulating the force of gravity that would be present in a high-mount MC), but not enough to make the brakes drag. Brakes will bleed normally.

I've never used a line-lock so don't know about that...

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 11-30-2020 at 09:59 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:44 AM   #4
mr48chev

You will need residual valves 2 lb for disk or 10 lb for drum brakes to keep the fluid from bleeding back though the master cylinder.

When you look at a diagram of most under the floor single piston master cylinders they have a pretty good check valve at the front of the master cylinder.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
dsraven

Are you running disc in the front and in the rear? Are you running the stock Firebird master cylinder from the clip donor car? If running an aftermarket master cylinder just make sure it matches the brake style that you have whether it is disc drum or disc disc. Master cylinder setup for drum brakes will likely have residual valve in the connection at the master cylinder. Disc brake master cylinders likely will not have a residual valve build in. Some aftermarket master cylinders for disc disc set ups have residual valves in them by mistake as some on the forum have found out the hard way when they purchased a frame mounted master and booster set up online.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameo View Post
Here lies the issue... these brackets where the Nova flex hose meets the tubed lines are now the highest point of the brake line plumbing, as the master cylinder is mounted to the frame rail. will this be an issue for bleeding the brakes.
no. typically with the frame mounted mc all 4 lines end up higher than the mc where the frame jumps up at the wheel
3/16" line will just push any air bubble out with the viscosity of the fluid
up and down of the brake line will not affect the bleeding of brakes

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
cameo

thanks guys, the Summit kit for my truck, Disc/drums comes with a proportioning valve that has residual checks. so I should be good. I will finish the plumbing and prep for additional check if required.

thanks dsraven, with this bit of info, I can start a build thread!!
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #8
dsraven

do you mean you bought a kit for brake lines for your truck? like custom bent and sized for length? nice. if not, the nicop already made brake lines from napa, canadian tire or auto value are easily bent but also easily kinked if you aren't careful. a tubing bender will really help plus they add some proffesional look to the job since all the bends are uniformly made. I prefer the ones like this link because they hold the diameter of the tube as it bends so it has less tendency to crush and oval out plus they have graduations for amount of bend you need.

https://www.amazon.ca/Wostore-Handle...ag=googcana-20

ones like this plier are good for the tight turns needed behind a wheel cylinder or other tight bends

https://www.amazon.ca/TruePower-02-0...ag=googcana-20

not crazy about this style because it "fits" everything from small to larger tubing so it doesn't really fit anything properly. I find they tend to crush or oval out the tubing

https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-To...ag=googcana-20

if you plan to possibly modify the system later, ie: check valves if required, maybe install some unions where your check valve is planned to be.
unions come in a few qualities. some brass but thin wall, some brass but thicker wall, some steel.
amazon has all sorts of cool fittings with brackets attached to mount the fitting to the frame etc.
for a flex hose from master to frame try greenline hose or another local hydraulic hose supplier. they can make you up some woven stainless flex brake hoses. it just makes connecting the master to the system a little easier since your angled bends don't have to be figured out if you use a flex hose. greenline made me up some flex brake hoses for my motorcycle, and they look great too.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #9
dsraven

stuff like this available on amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/3-Way-Female-M...motive&sr=1-21
Old 12-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
dsraven

stuff like this available on amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/3-Way-Female-M...motive&sr=1-21
Old 12-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #11
cameo

thanks dsraven
I have some connections in the hydraulics world (my playground for 20 years)
I like the idea of flex lines from the MC. that would make life easy. and after all this, one easy step would be welcomed.

I did exactly what you suggested, bought the straight lines from Auto Value (i think) without the coils and will bend and flair as required. only the MC/booster/pedal came as a kit from Summit. it looks like it will need to be modified once the cab is back on.

I am in Woodbine, moving to Walden. where do you hang your hat?
Old 12-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #12
dsraven

I'm up in hawkwood. Near crowfoot center.
Have fun moving. Hopefully you can find all your stuff later.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #13
dsraven

you'll have to update your profile once you get settled. and post some pics of the project.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #14
dsraven

good to see you got the "add pics" thing figured out. are you moved to the new place yet or waiting for the possession date? you must have lots of parts boxes, milk crates, plastic totes for your build that need to be files at the new place. will you have a garage? I suppose it would be attached if so because it seems a back alley is not a "thing" in the newer communities. they are out there but not everywhere like the older communities have. personally I like the back alley garages because the smells and mess stay out there. wife is happier that way, haha.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #15
cameo

this will be the 7th move for this truck since I bought it. at least the number of milk crates used is decreasing, and the truck is more assembled each time.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #16
dsraven

I get it that this thread is a year old but just wondering if there is progress made since then. story? pics? pile of empty milk crates for sale on kijiji? lol.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #17
cameo

wow, its been a year since this post? well, all moved in, and making progress on the truck. the brake system is in and plumbed. the stock flex hoses for a Nova seem a little short but work for the full range of the suspension and steering. I haven't filled or bled the system yet, as the cab hadn't been mounted yet, so I would be using my hand and not my foot. I also need an assistant on that. As of last weekend, the cab is mounted so that I can adjust the doors and finish up welding the cab corners, so now would be a good time to check my plumbing work.
here are pictures of the line lock installed, and might as well show one of the rear brake line and hose too.
And as usual, everything is topside under.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 12-09-2021 at 08:34 PM.