The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
ed455
Captain Ed

Crane Cams Ignition Department

I bought an MSD Pro Billet distributor on ebay and it came with a Crane Hi-6 ignition box and a Crane PS-92 ignition coil. I didn't care anout those two items as much as I did the distributor. I scored the whole package for $120. It was all used and if either one of those two items worked it made the deal sweet. If neith worked, I still did OK. I also figured that the ignition box could be rebuilt like an MSD box.

When I received the items I noticed that the terminals on two of the wired were melted. I figured the box was probably shorted out so I called Crane to see about having the box reconditioned. It turns out that the Crane ignitions are fully potted in epoxy and cannot be rebuilt. However, if you have a bad Crane ignition box they will sell you a new one for about the same cost of having an MSD box reconditioned. Cool. I sent them a box stating that if the box was bad to toss it in the trash cause I wasn't really interested in replacing it. What I DIDN'T say was that if the box was bad, I was going to buy an MSD 6AL cause it's the common unit no matter where you are.

I shipped it on a Thursday, they got it on Monday. I called about it the following Friday to get the verdict. The unit passed all tests with flying colors and was already on its way bck to me. Cost including return shipping: $0.00. That's right, they charged me nothing and shipped it back on their dime.

When I received it back the special coil plug wasn't on it. I'm pretty sure it was on there when I sent it, but I can't swear to it. I called Crane up and stated exactly that. I asked where where I could buy a plug like it. They said they would send me one out and apologized for it not being on there. I also noted that the magnetic pickup wires are shielded and the pig tail on mine was only about a foot long. I asked where I could get shielded wire like it and he said he'd throw a length of it in the package as well. Cost including shipping: $0.00.

This was all for a customer who bought an 8 year old ignition box on ebay for practically nothing.

They are awesome. In addition, the Crane ignitions have dials instead of pills for rev-limiting. They earned a customer in me.

Last edited by ed455; 04-03-2005 at 09:31 PM.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote