The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
Bowtie67

Thumbs down Scotts HotRods

I purchased one of their IFS systems for my 67C10 back in December, They don't return phone calls, or emails and talking to the owner is as useless. From what I have gotten of the hardware it's looks to be of descent quality. I was overchaged $200 for what was to be included in the deal of having rotors drilled for 5 on 5 to match the GM truck pattern of our years. They have told me 3 times in the last three weeks that they where going to creit me, still nothing. Last Friday I finally got the front coilovers for the front end and they where to short. The truck would have been on the ground, I called in the am and they where to call back in an hour, no call, I called back around 5 eastern time and they tell me I have wrong shocks that they would be overnighting these Monday for me on Tuesday because there supplier was on east coast time and they where closed. Still no coilovers. I still havent received my front rotors yet and at the same time I had ordered a 4bar setup for the rear, I have everything for the rear except coilovers still waiting. I would also like to point out they didn't even have any type of information for installation of their front ends and the information on there 4bar setup is to say the least, very generic. I had called another dealer in the area that sells TCI IFS systems for some other parts and they told me that they have heard this many times over about Scotts Hotrods from other customers. I advise anyone thinking about doing any business with them beware.

Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
cdowns

that pretty well sucks,sorry to hear about it. if you paid by credit card get them involved immediately ,they may be able to help you out. i'd try for a return and full credit even if you have to eat the shipping charges and treat it like a painfull lesson learned
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
Bowtie67

Because this is a weld in setup, I am somewhat committed, but what I have decided to do is as of the day I posted this I am putting this knoledge on every type of posting on the internet, 1 a day untill I receive everything, in the overall end he will loose way more money then that of what it will have cost me all put together. Enough postings and it will become a house hold word of the way they deal with customers. I am sure there are other venders as well that read these forums for their reviews as well. Company's that try fly by night practices or have bad service raps don't usually stay in business very long.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:30 AM   #4
TheRealMyles

Post on this site they will help follow up....trm

http://www.my3cents.com/

Good Luck....trm
TheRealMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:28 PM   #5
78SilveradoSWB

Scott's Hotrod was featured on cable last night. The show was Rides on the Discovery channel ,I think, hosted by Jason Priestly.

1978 Chevrolet Silverado C 10
454 BB, TH400
78SilveradoSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:58 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I wish I had known this sooner. I ordered an IFS from them 4 weeks ago. They promised to ship it in three weeks. I called at the first of this week and was told they had about 20 ahead of me, and it would be another "few weeks".

They said that doing the Rides show put them way behind. I told them I thought it was wonderful that they were able to do a big TV show and get national recognition, but WTF did that have to do with my IFS.

I may call my credit card company and se if I can get my money back. I don't need any more BS than I already have....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
Bowtie67

I would call them and cancel the oder being that they have all these ahead of you. If you are looking for an IFS system check with these guys http://www.streetrodparts.tv/, 1-800-979-4278
they have everything. including and at no other cost drilling of the rotors to match your rear axles bolt pattern. I had talked to them about some other stuff and were very helpfull. They sell TCI IFS systems and have a Custom IFS for our trucks. Don't buy from Scott's. Call and Cancel the order and if you get a line of B/S call your credit card company and tell them you had cancelled your order. Good Luck. I still haven't received everything yet. I am still in a battle with trying to get all my parts with them. I may be calling my credit card company this afternoon to see what they can do about getting all my money back, it's been a nightmare.

There price is the same as Scott's, There are others as well as well that make good aftermarket IFS systems.

I have since contacted the Ventura, Ca. BBB, a few of their Advertisers, (I noticed in the newest mags of Custom Classic Trucks and Classic trucks they didn't have any adds, Hope I had something o do with this). I also sent an email yesterday to the Discovery Channel people and asked how the felt about endorsing a company that rips off customers.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Bowtie67, I am going to call Stoked Out Specialties today and talk to Roger. He ordered the IFS for me from Scotts, I just called and gave them my CC number.

Roger ordered one for a 62 T-bird, and it came in within a decent time frame. Not "on time", but a couple of weeks later. He ordered a Wilwood big brake kit at the same time. It's still not here, and that was in December.

I'll let you know how it works out....
Old 03-26-2004, 08:28 PM   #9
Bowtie67

Got this today fromm the Discovery Channel People, Thought I would share it..

Thank you for contacting Discovery Networks. We appreciate you taking the
time to share your thoughts and concerns with us. They will be forwarded
to our program management and executives and will be taken into
consideration. Comments such as yours are very important to us, as viewer
opinions tell us what we can improve on and what our audience enjoys. It
is these types of comments that contribute to creating change and improving
programming.

If you have any further inquiries or comments, please contact us via our webform at http://extweb.discovery.com/ViewerRelations. Thank you again for expressing your interest in our programming.

Sincerely,
Viewer Relations
Discovery Networks

I also found out today talking with another vender that there is another Forum dealing with Chevy Novas and they too have posted issues with Scotts' Hotrods N Customs.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:25 AM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I talked with Roger at Stoked Out Specialties about my order. He feels comfortable with the answers they gave him when he talked to them. I have faith in Roger's opinion, so I'll wait and see what happens.

I think the problem with Scotts is they have grown faster than they expected. They have more orders than they can stand, and just can't keep up. I'm not trying to defend them, just make a point from my observations....
Old 03-29-2004, 06:34 PM   #11
Bowtie67

Most of what I see that I have gotten from Scotts looks of descent quality, Both Jeph and Ben are very nice to talk to. The owner is what I feel is the problem there. He does all the ordering so I am told. I personally don't find the aspect of waiting for off the shelf parts for months acceptable. Check this sight out, there is a few here a little ticked about waiting for there parts and they did a group buy. Are you planning on it being on the road this year? Good Luck

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/sho...p?threadid=402

2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Old 03-30-2004, 01:39 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by Bowtie67
Most of what I see that I have gotten from Scotts looks of descent quality, Both Jeph and Ben are very nice to talk to....... Are you planning on it being on the road this year?.....
When I called them with my CC info I talked to Jeph. He was very nice and seemed to know all the right answers. I was promised on 03/01 that it would take 3-4 weeks.

I called back last week and talked to Ben. He said there were 20 units ahead of me and it would be another "few" weeks.

When Roger called he also talked to Jeph. He was told they were a little behind and it would be done in 2-3 weeks. If this is true, I will be just fine. They won't be able to start on my Blazer until then anyway. I have them busy getting my 77 Cheyenne ready for the summer right now....

BTW- I read both threads from the Nova forum. It sounds like everyone is happy with what they "did" get. They are p!ssed at what they "didn't" get
Old 03-31-2004, 09:43 AM   #13
Bowtie67

Well I wish you better luck, I would not intend to install anything to you have all the parts. A couple issues I have had you should be aware of.

1. mock the setup put together, check you lower control arm and make sure with the spring on it that it is not level, Lower Control Arm should be pointing down to the ground, once it is installed and with a load on it should be level. The shocks I got fully extended my lower arm was straight out, the replaced shocks after waiting for 3+weeks were the exact same ones and had to wait another 2 weeks before I got another set to try.
2. I don't know how low you are going with your truck, I had orginally wanted about a 4 to 5" drop, but when I put my truck together with the springs and lowered spindles the top of the tire would have been rubbing the top of my inner fender.
3. I had to replace my stearing column to the shortes thing I could find and even then I am still having a slight bind because of the angles I have been forced to use, This is caused by the upper control arm being right smack in the way.
4. Also in my biggest issue, There is ABSOLUTELY NO INFORMATION AT ALL ABOUT INSTALLATION. Did you see this part on the Nove sight?

And you are right about the guys being happy with the items they have gotten, mainly the quality, but as I had stated earlier about the wait on parts and I find very little reason for an excuse is the fact that these parts are off the shelf items that they are owed and there should not be a delay of 4-6 weeks waiting for these items. I have been told by Jeph several times that he would ship direct from source to me and didn't receive any parts for well over three weeks and Ben is who told me that the owner is the one who does the ordering, so even though they tell you they will ship it tomorrow it has to get ordered by the owner.

As I stated earlier I really do wish you good luck.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Old 03-31-2004, 10:43 AM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

As I stated, Roger has the experience I am just the customer. He feels confident after talking to them they will come through. The last one he ordered from them was only two weeks late. It came with everything needed "except" the big brake upgrade.

According to Jeph they still are on back order from Wilwood. As I said, I "do not" have faith in Scotts, I have faith in Roger at Stoked Out Specialties.

Some of the issues you have won't apply to me. My IFS is a bag set up. We will be rebuilding the front frame rails to match the IFS so I can run the stock a/c compressor on an LS1.

I will end up with 10"+ of drop. I have already sectioned and raised my inner fenders and fender liners. I plan to run a 28" tall tire, so I will probably have to rework this again.

No matter whose IFS you run, you will need to add an extra knuckle in your steering shaft to prevent binding. Even the modified stock crossmember drop requires this.

Yes, I did see the "no info" part and that is just wrong. They should have some info even if it minimal. Fortunately Roger has been doing this for years, and doesn't "need" instructions. Even with his experience he would still "prefer" to have them.

My guess is the reason you can't get "off the shelf" parts is they aren't on the shelf. They probably wait till they get a large enough order to get a price break. Another thought is there seems to be a mad rush for everyone to convert to an IFS. I can only assume that the suppliers of the common parts are rather back logged too.

Some one stated on the Nova forum that the credit card company couldn't do anything till after 30 days. I haven't reached that mark yet, so it's too early to get them involved. I'll give it another 2 weeks and see where I am at.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:15 AM   #15
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Well what happened in the end????
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote