The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Engine and Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
gator2511

Vortec & regular Head Rocker Stud Change

Well, I just don't feel comfortable with PRESS in rocker studs. Before I put these heads on my truck I wanted to install screw in studs. I'm dead ready and waiting on the Fed Ex truck!

The tools got here and I went right to work. This shot shows the stud puller ready to do its work. On the first few studs the puller was tight going over both studs so I used a small rubber hammer to tap it down firmly. It seemed to get easier after that but I still had to use the hammer to seat the puller on the bosses.

This is the first stud pulled and the puller being used to tap the first hole. I had a problem with only one hole. It wasn't drilled deep enough to accept the new stud and I had to finish drilling it. After you pull the stud, look down into the hole with a light and check the hole for proper depth.

This shows the hole tapped with the little puller at the bottom of the photo. It amazed me how easy it was to pull the studs with this tool and an electric impact hammer. All you have to remember is to stop pulling once or twice and add more washers on the top of the tool.

All the holes are tapped and the new studs are ready to put in. Before I did that I washed all the metal from the tapping process with mineral spirits and blew them down real good with compressed air.

The new studs are in, torqued to 50 ft. lbs and coated with threadlock.

Here are the old pressed in studs.

End view of one of the completed heads. All finished, all done and well, uhmm READY TO ROCK. (Sorry I just couldn't help it)

Of course I wouldn't have even thought about doing this myself without the help from rage'rat638. Many thanks for all the information from all of you.

Last edited by augie; 04-06-2011 at 02:04 AM.