The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Woogeroo

Wink Woogeroo

Photo from 06/20/1999. It still looks the same, only with more dents in the hood.

more pics of my truck, on the forum here, photo album link.

More pics & details are on my truck site in my signature line, if you are interested.

Truck Info

Manufacturer: Chevrolet division of General Motors
Year: 1965
Suspension type: Coil Springs front and rear(stock)
Front Brakes: drums with power brake, dual master cylinder(1969 vintage)
Modifications: front sway bar, various patches in the electrical system, different hubcaps, assorted repairs made to keep it running, installed 1966-1972 cable park brake system. Installed used, but stock chrome bumper guards because I think they look neat.

1965 Chevrolet Truck – C10 Series 1500 (1/2 ton)

Model C1504 = two wheel drive - long wheel base – 127 inches, with an 8 foot step side bed.

NOTE : Wheelbase is the length between the center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel.

The step side bed measurements:

from the surface of the bed wood to the top of of the bed rail – 17 3/8th inches

Bed Length 8 feet 4 inches (100 inches) – outside edge to outside edge

Bed Width 4 feet 2 inches(50 inches) – inside to inside

Usable Inside Bed Length 8 feet 1 Inch (97 inches)

27,432 Model C1504′s produced for the 1965 year model.

Rear Brakes: drums
Steering: looks like the saginaw 67-72ish power steering box with a 1971 Chevy, automatic shift column
Front differential type / Gears: N/A
Rear differential type / Gears: .373
Wheel Size: 15 inch stock type, 6 lug steel wheels.
Tires : P235/75R15 Michelin LTX

Body

Color Scheme: faded baby blue and rust
Bodyman: mother nature
Modifications: put big honkin' OEM West Coast Jr. mirrors on. Put reproduction, original style black step side tail lights on. Chrome front bumper guards.
Paint Type: not known
Painter: not known

Interior

Color: dark blue
Material: bench seat with a dark blue, plushy seat material
Upholsterer: unknown
Wiring: stock, with strange "previous owner" modifications. Also, lots of over done repairs, by me.

Modifications:
Steering wheel/Column: 1971 Chevrolet Truck, steering column with auto shift
Stereo/Speakers/Amps: nothing fancy, just a plain CD/Radio/Mp3 player head unit.
Air Conditioning: vent windows and cowl vents
Instrument Gauges: stock instrument cluster with gauges, another model car clock and a aftermarket tachometer in the ins. cluster. fancy, vintage water temp gauge on dash.

Engine

Cubic Inch: 350/5.7L
Manufacturer: Chevy
Camshaft: unknown, but I am guessing stock for 1992
Cylinder heads: 8
Valve Covers: 2? stock Chevy, screw through covers
Intake Manifold: Edelbrock, dual plane, performer, aluminum
Ignition System: late 80's, HEI with the engine module
Exhaust type: stock, cast iron exhaust manifolds to plain exhaust pipes(on the list to be changed...)
Carburetor or Fuel Injection: Holley, 4160, electric choke, 600 CFM

Transmission

Automatic / Standard: Automatic, TH350
Torque Converter: unknown
Modifications: none that I am aware of
Shifter type: on the column
Drive Shaft: stock, two piece propeller shaft(that's what it's called in the shop manual), 1965

Biography

What is your name? Woogeroo

Please share a few things about yourself:

Born in Atlanta, Georgia. I grew up East of there in the 'burbs. My folks are from the 'country' here in the south east, so as a kid I'd go visit relatives at different times of the year in the woods. Between visiting the woods and going to car shows with my dad... I fell in love with trucks, tractors and anything mechanical that moves. Since my dad worked for GM at an assembly plant, of course everything had to be a Chevy!

Other hobbies: revolvers, old rifles, old houses, especially log cabins and barns.

favorite pizza toppings : pepperoni, ground beef (tho', not at the same time) with lots of cheese!!

My dad grew up poor on farms. He learned to 'make do' as no one else was going to come and fix it for him. So, as a kid he taught me to use what I had to make a good, safe fix if I could.

Case in point: I had a mild electrical disaster one night on my truck and the hot wire to the HEI distributor was melted. As in the insulation was GONE and the wire was glowing orange(lots of smoke!). To get it home, I took my positive wire from my battery to my radio(the one that is there to maintain the memory of the head unit), took it loose and wired it straight to the HEI. Cranked it back up and drove home... then took the wire loose to turn it off.

Now, to fix it the next day, I fished the now toasted hot wire back to the plug in the firewall. As Scooby Doo would say: ruh roh!? I wiggled the plug out and marked all the wires and took it off the truck. I used a small, small set of screw drivers to GENTLY wiggle out the rather crispy connecter inside the original plastic plug. HMMN. I made a temporary holder to hold the wire and connecter, heated up the connecter with a soldering iron, got rid of the toasted wire, open up the prongs, very GENTLY while hot. I then scrubbed it and cleaned it with a wire brush. I got a new wire... soldered it on and bent the prongs back over(while hot). Sweet. I slipped it back into the 1965 plastic plug for the firewall. It was "wiggle" loose. HMNN. I tested it and got it hooked up, tested continuity with my multi-meter on ohms... yay, but I still didn't like the wiggle(I'm a little OCD). So, I asked my sister: hey, do you still have your arts and crafts, hot glue gun? My pal D had stopped by somewhere during this project and since he used to build models, I put him in charge of the glue gun step. We got it back in and firm... plugged it back up, wired it all nice and happy and it's still in there. If I hadn't done that I would have had to wait a week for most of a front wiring harness, for just that one burnt wire in the plug.

So, "yay for dad" for teaching me how to fix a lot of stuff and to contemplate whenever doing so. However, he is still the carpenter in the family!

How long have you owned your truck? Since April of 2003.

What made you decide to buy this truck? Long bed, step side, triangle vent windows, already had a v8. Still looked like an old truck... didn't know any better. *ha ha ha* A cousin of mine when I was a kid, had a 1964 Gold, Chevy short bed with a 327. I thought it was neat and had wanted one ever since. Once while in high school I went to look at a 1963 or so and it turned out to be a long bed step side, which was the first one I'd ever seen or heard of. I thought that big fat step was neat. When I started looking for this one, years later I remember that option. When I bought the truck trader... low and behold there were 2-3 of them for sale in that issue.

How do you store your truck, at home, garage, outside etc? What do you enjoy about your truck the most? It sits outside in the weather. I love stepping on the steps! It makes me feel like a 12 year old kid for some reason. I always thought that was neat, even as a kid. People always say to me : "why did you buy a stepside?" Then I go, "so I can do this" and I step into the bed. I then say: isn't that cool!?

Who or what was your biggest influence in building your truck? Just the things I like about old trucks. I haven't done a lot of mods to it, as I like how it looked from the factory mostly, with the exception of the stock hubcaps. I might put some fancy wheels on it someday... but that's down the road.

What has been the biggest obstacle you have faced in working on your project? How did you/do you handle it?

1) Working outside in the weather. Not usually an issue, unless something breaks in the cold or rain. Then I just suck it up and deal with it. However, if I plan on a project, the day I plan to work on it, the weather will usually change to inclement.

2) biggest mechanical repair challenge : head gaskets. I had never been that far down the rabbit hole before in an engine. I got it all apart... then I called a buddy of mine to help me get it back together. Then I took him to the steakhouse! We still had the timing out 180 degrees... good thing I had my mechanic check it! It still saved me a LOT of labor doing that myself, plus I learned some things.

3) Emergency brake. When I bought my truck, it had no e brake at all. Not even the handle. It only had the cable going from the cab to under the truck. I learned then that the 1960-1965 system is different from the 1966-1972 system! Since I had a later model year, 3 speed automatic transmission already in my truck and none of the original parts for the '60-'65 system, it was suggested by the tribal elders of old Chevy truck land that I use the later model system. It was quite an effort in research trying to figure out what all was missing and what I needed. A big problem was trying to figure out what some of the parts were called! Also, some of the parts I had to buy used. I went to install it 3-4 times, only to figure out I was still missing things! A digital camera is a handy tool to have folks!

What/who is you favorite/best part source? for used parts, here on the board has been great... or the swap meet on Stovebolt.com. For New Old Stock or reproduction parts I have had good luck with American Classic, Jim Carter's, GMC Pauls(very good customer service!) & Obsolete Chevy.

What are some things that have helped your project to be a success? The fellow members of 67-72chevytrucks.com ! They have saved me from disaster several times when something was really wrong. The internet, specifically the web sites where people have shared lots of details about trucks like mine have been very helpful. The shop manuals(if you have an old chevy truck, GET THE SHOP MANUALS!!)! Not giving up, being hard headed... having lots of hand tools. Having been taught a lot of the basic stuff by working on other stuff with my pops as a kid. Having that experience lets me know what I can do, what I *might can do* and when I need to take it to my professional mechanic either for his expertise & ability, tools or because I don't want to deal with it. My good pal D, who used to mess with old vehicles, but now only to help me out. He has a interesting way of looking at a problem and coming up with a simpler fix.

What is the history behind your truck? I don't know of any specific history of my truck other than it was built at Tarrytown and the other production related details mentioned up top. I do know there were two owners before me, the guy I bought it from and the guy he bought it from, as I found the bills of sale in the glove box. At one time it had a tool box in the bed, judging from the holes in the bed sides and the placement of the aftermarket bed rails. I'm pretty sure it was used on a farm at some point as well, because every grease-able zerk fitting on the front end was covered in hard dirt that I had to pry, beat and SCRAPE off with a chisel and screwdriver!

What do you use your truck for? (hauling, cruising, daily driver,shows, drag racing, work truck, mudding etc): daily driver, cruising, occasional hauling, I sometimes take it to the more laid back cruise ins. My truck is not fancy, at all.

What is your favorite memory with your truck? I like to just ride sometimes, see the scenery and listen to some music. I've also met some really neat other old truck guys at some shows or through the Regional Forums here on 67-72chevytrucks.com.

My other favorite memory, was Easter 2012... electric fuel pump went out, 20 miles from home. Luckily I was with my buddy D and near his house when it happened. Still, changing a fuel pump with ethanol infused gasoline pouring over your t-shirt is not my idea of a good time. That stuff burns!

That pump in the story above, only lasted a few days! I had to remove and replace it. This time I was prepared and had tools!

Whats your favorite modification done to your truck and why? I recently added a front sway bar and it was totally worth it! It rides so nice through a turn now! I also like the added look of the chrome front bumper guards, tho' they hurt like the dickens when you smack yer leg into 'em! * haha *

If you had one thing to do over on your build, what would it be and why? I might not have added the big honkin' West Coast Jr. mirrors. They have a really bad blind spot when pulling up to a street that you are perpendicular to(looking left-right). When I bought the truck it had some broken, 'parts store mirrors' on it. I think if I ever paint it, I might put the original style side mirrors on, round or rectangle.

What are your future plans for your truck? Uhm. Everything. It needs some major body work in the cab. A new wiring harness, exhaust, air conditioning, some properly mounted speakers. Maybe one day I will get it painted... then again, maybe not, I kinda like being able to buzz down a gravel/dirt road and not worry about it.

What words of advice do you have to people who are just starting out with their project?

1) If you have never had an old vehicle before, buy one that is running!!!!!!!!! My pal D(mentioned above) told me that. He said : "buy it running & legal, then, even if it isn't perfect, you can still use it and enjoy it."

Best advice ever!

A lot of folks get what I call 'restoration-itis'. They buy it and want to take it all apart like the magazines and tv shows, which is fine if you have the room and the drive to do that. However... if you are really new to wrenchin' on old trucks, slow down. It's your first truck. Drive it awhile, it will start telling you things that need to be replaced or tuned, trust me.

2) find out if you can even work on a vehicle at your house in your area before you buy one... I've read some horror stories. If you have a fancy garage, then disregard this statement.

3) ask a lot of questions on the forum, play around with the search engine here on the forum. It takes some messing around with to get the feel of the search, but it is worth it. Also, use the 'subscribe' to this thread feature under 'thread tools'. That will make it easier to find later when you are going nuts trying to fix something and you are thinking : DANG IT! I read this in a thread... but... what was the order of operations!?

4) Buy the shop manuals!!!! Almost all of the manuals are available as reprints! They have ALL of the information in them! Lots of details and information! If you are too cheap to spend the cash on the manuals, you are really silly to buy thousands of dollars of aftermarket and used parts to put on your truck, not including spending money on paint. Seriously. Buy the manuals, they will frustrate you, but they will explain A LOT!!!!

5) Regularly read the forum here, in the different areas related to your truck(s), for no reason. Just peruse the different sections & you will be surprised at what you find. I have found out a lot about my truck and some of the options for it, just by casually reading the forum. Cases in point : the front bumper guards. stock OEM tow hooks. That I could use the later 1966-1972 Chevy truck e-brake system, tho' I found that out by asking questions!

6) Learn how to research information about old Chevy trucks. If you are going to fix up any old vehicle, you are going to be doing some reading and searching!!! If you are too lazy to do the work, you are in the wrong hobby.

7) Try to meet as many other old truck folks in your area as you can. You don't have to be best buddys, but they can be a great source of information or sources for used parts! Sometimes they have already done a truck like yours, so they can giving you advice on fixing things. If they really made their truck fancy, they might have a bunch of original non-fancy, but still good used parts they don't need sitting on the shelf!

8) Be honest with yourself about your ability to wrench on things. If you are learning as you go, YOU WILL make a mistake. That is part of the adventure. Just think about what and how you did something wrong, then figure out how to fix it. You won't ever make that mistake again. Everyone on this forum has made some 'dum dum' moves on their truck. That is all part of the adventure!

There are some areas of my truck, that I just do not have the space, knowledge or the experience to fix. Some are fixes that I would have attempted if I had a garage and another vehicle, but I decided to have my mechanic do it instead. In one case, this was smart... as my rear axle seal adventure turned into a rear axle replacement! I think my guardian angel was whispering in my ear on that one. Also, meeting other old truck guys can come in handy, cuz they can 'hold your hand' on some new scary project... because they can share with you everything they did wrong! This is a also a good way to get a parts, tools and 'order of operations' list!

9) Be SAFE! Use eye and ear protection! Use the appropriate jack stands when needed! DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! Use the right tool for the job. If you are taking a fuel line loose, have something to catch the fuel or crimp the fuel line(if it is rubber)! Modern gas has ethanol in it and it burns like the devil on your skin(see fuel pump story above! ow!kwitit!)!

10) When yer mad and you want to push it off a cliff or take it down to the scrap yard, remember: Old trucks are fun!!!

action work shot:

11) Think about how to form your question on this or any other forum. If you look at some of the longest threads with the most replies, with the best quality information, there was a specific question posed as the original topic. If you want the detailed information, you need to include as much information as you currently have available within your original post.

The 67-72 board now covers all full size GM trucks ever made, as well as the S models. A lot of parts are interchangeable, or can be modified to work in strange ways across model styles. Different people have different areas of expertise; body work, wiring, welding, engines, troubleshooting, knowing what is original, what is not, transmissions, rear ends, 4x4's or what not. There are a lot of die hard truck folks on this forum, the trick is learning who knows what.

Another point to keep in mind, most folks have very specific information in their head or ready to hand, about a certain model run, like for me with 1960-1966 trucks, tho' most of my specific knowledge pertains to the 1964-1966 truck. So, I wouldn't be much help to someone with say, a 1973 truck.

Other members have very specific information about a few years run of a certain model, because they have completely taken one apart or they have owned several of that type.

The people with information on multiple models and years are the historian types who get obsessive about researching details or former professionals that dealt with the trucks as a job, such as dealer and fleet mechanics and former service managers.

The best way to get a great answer is to be specific about what you want to know. Even if that means asking multiple questions. In the question tho', consider if the question needs to include the year/chevy or gmc/model/ton rating, then the area of specific interest. Why? A lot of people peruse certain sections of the forum which pertain to their specific knowledge while drinkin' their coffee in the morning or while eating lunch. If they see a specific question written a certain way that makes them think "hey, I may know something about that", they will tend to click on it.

12) Digital camera!!! Get one, learn to use it. Learn how to re size and post photographs on a photo site, your own personal space/blog and this forum here. Why? Because eventually you will find something broke on your truck and you will have NO IDEA what it is called... so you can take a photo of it and post it and ask: WHAT IS THIS THING!? HOW do I FIX IT!? The only reason I bought a digital camera to start with, was to take pics of truck related things. It has easily paid for itself many times over with the information and repairs it has helped me gather and achieve.

-- end --

I hope you found a little of my 'interview' interesting or amusing. I'm always learning something new about these old trucks I like.

I hope the rest of you will submit an interview of your own, sometime!

Take care and remember:

old trucks are fun!

-Woogeroo

NOTE : There are lots of details & photos, posted on my truck site in my signature line below, if interested... or if you are looking for a photo of a certain area of this kinda truck. My truck is not original, but there may be something useful for you there.

If you also have 1960-1966 Truck, check out some of the information articles and links to other sites with knowledge on my 60-66 Information site linked below.

If you have a 60-66 truck, be sure to explore The 1960-1966 FAQ Index in the The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board here on the forum. If this link changes, some version of it will be maintained as a sticky at the top of the 60-66 board.

The 60-66 FAQ has six posts of information, 100's of threads about 60-66 trucks listed here on the forum, linked "how-to" articles and tech. Go Explore!

Last edited by Woogeroo; 02-10-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Re: Woogeroo

Excellent !!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap