The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

How to: DIY Carwash

Well, we've all seen em and used em, the DIY pressure washer and foam brush car washes. I've spent $10 in them before because I had no clue what I was doing, you probably have to. Well here is a how to after finally learning how to use one the correct way. *This is just for the exterior*

This is my 10 step program to your truck's recovery from "LOS" lazy owner syndrome. "lol"

Things you will need:
$5 (Make sure you have $5 in the correct "change" the machine takes) My local car wash has a gold dollar change machine and that is the only form of money it will accept.
Armour All for tires or anything else you want to look greasy clean.
Windex and what ever you like to use to wipe it(I prefer diapers or newspaper)
Clean cloth or rag

Step 1, find a good DIY car wash with all the bells and whistles.

Step 2, pull your vehicle into the bay, park it centered in the bay front to back and left to right.

Step 3, make sure you windows are ALL CLOSED. Get out and deposit $5 into the machine(more if you take too long )

Step 4, select "Tire Cleaner" (Phrase varies by car wash), this can be used on tires/wheels and engine and anything else that gets very dirty, greasy and grimy. *Note* Can be used on chrome, aluminum, mag, billet aluminum, powder coat, etc

Step 5, spray the "Tire Cleaner" onto tires/wheels and anything else you deem fit.

Step 5, go back to the machine and select "Pre Wash/Soak", once you have done that spray the whole vehicle except the tires/wheels etc.

Step 6, once you have sprayed all things not soaked by "Tire Cleaner" select "Soap/High Pressure Soap" then spray everything but the "Tire Cleaner" sprayed things.

Step 7, select "Rinse/High Pressure Rinse", spray the ENTIRE vehicle from top to bottom as to get ALL the soap off, spray the "Tire Cleaner" things as well.

Step 7, once you have gotten ALL the soap off you should have about 30s left, go back and make sure you got all the soap(check the roof).

Step 8, pull you car out and apply the "Armour All" to all things you want "Greasy Clean", then apply Windex to the exterior of the windows and wipe of with you choice of "wiper", I prefer diapers or newspaper.

Step 9, after wait approximately 10 minutes use the rag/cloth to wipe off the "Armour All" soaked things.

Step 10, drive home safely and DONT drive in dirt.

Miss having a truck

Last edited by thirdstreettito; 03-16-2009 at 07:56 AM.
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Mudder

Re: How to: DIY Carwash

I might add. The sun is your enemy when washing and detailing a truck. Keep it in the shade.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
I might add. The sun is your enemy when washing and detailing a truck. Keep it in the shade.
x2... Mudder pretty well summed up every bad car wash I've ever seen. If/When you can, keep it out of the direct sunlight, or you'll need to jump to this thread to see how to remove water spots.

Great step by step process Bradley! The only thing that I do differently is when I rinse the soap off, I actually use the high pressure wax setting at my local car wash. It removes the soap and grime due to it being high pressure, but still applies another layer of protection at the same time. Followed by spot free rinse and I'm down the road...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 03-18-2009 at 08:31 AM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Joe67
67 is sold

The only setting I use in DIY washes is high pressure rinse.

The problem using the engine degreaser/tire cleaner setting before washing is you never know how long it takes for that abrasive solution to be 100% cleared from the lines.

#1 sugggestion at those places , NEVER use the brushes

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe67 View Post
#1 sugggestion at those places , NEVER use the brushes
I have to agree... everytime I see someone brushing their car I begin to cringe.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
Old 03-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Mudder

Brushes=Good way to get things all scratched up. I use the car wash but I just use the spray and I always run a lot of the spot free rinse after I am done washing. Some of those don't work as well as others.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
dammitmitchell
the pollock

when i worked at a dealer body shop the "drive through" car wash was banned by body shop to use.. it would "swirl" and streak brand new paint! sooo.. every car was hand washed by us before leaving....
it sucks but that's how it is....
if you ahve swirls i highly reccomend meguires techwax...
the stuff worked great.. and i mean f-ing great =-)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
when i worked at a dealer body shop the "drive through" car wash was banned by body shop to use.. it would "swirl" and streak brand new paint! sooo.. every car was hand washed by us before leaving....
it sucks but that's how it is....
if you ahve swirls i highly reccomend meguires techwax...
the stuff worked great.. and i mean f-ing great =-)
dammitmitchell... will the techwax remove minor lines (scratches) in the paint as well? For those paint jobs that might have been dried off with the wrong type of cloth?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Over the years, I have learned that car washes are the "Devils House of Hell". They are simple to use and it draws you in to the place, because you don't want to spend a little time and effort. I will use them in the winter, since it is cold and I am busy at that time. The car wash will never get all of the dirt off and then when you wipe the vehicle down, the dirt will scratch the paint. I have black paint on my truck and from that I learned that a good clean bucket of water, pH balanced car wash liquid, and a good mitt will do more to keep that large investment looking good and not scratched. I definitely agree, NEVER EVER wash in the sun and if possible not under a small shade tree. There is enough sun filtering through to spot your work, especially with the wind blowing like it does where I live. Everyone has a different way of wiping off a vehicle after washing, but the use of a water blade is a great idea, HOWEVER keep it clean---the silicone blade will hold small flecks of dirt and grit and cause scratches. I personally use old soft towels to follow up the blade, but a good absorbent shamois will do well. KEEP it rinsed out. The use of towels from a store tends to leave one with a material that does not soak up water, they need to be used some first. I have all of my windows and mirrors treated with a water repellant, so wiping them down with a damp towel works great. Once you really have the paint clean, it is easy to keep it that way.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

I have to agree with you piecesparts... there's nothing like a great hand washing on a vehicle to remove the dirt and grime from the paint. I've noticed on several occassions that after I washed my truck at the local car wash, my chami would be filthy and I could see the "film" of dirt left behind.

I'm glad to see warmer weather coming so I can take the time to thoroughly clean our fleet. Thank God for pressure washers!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Pressure washers can be a bad thing, too. Be sure to back off on the nozzle pattern, so that the paint is not pulled by it. I like to use a pressure washer on the underside, but shy away from that on the outer paint.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

That is true piecesparts, I've seen some major thrashing by someone that didn't properly use a power washer.

Also be sure to use the proper nozzel as some are for more abrasive uses than others.