The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
dannies68

Which disk brake kit to buy?

Im sure this question has been discussed several times, but even after searching I cant find the answer i'm looking for.

There looks to be several different disk brake conversions out there. I would love if someone would recommend a specific one.

I have a 68 c10 that I plan on running 6-lug 15" wheels on. I am wanting a front and rear powered conversion kit.

Which one should I buy.
dannies68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
Orange67

Re: Which disk brake kit to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannies68 View Post
Im sure this question has been discussed several times, but even after searching I cant find the answer i'm looking for.

There looks to be several different disk brake conversions out there. I would love if someone would recommend a specific one.

I have a 68 c10 that I plan on running 6-lug 15" wheels on. I am wanting a front and rear powered conversion kit.

Which one should I buy.
I got mine from CPP, it will not work with 15 inch aluminum wheels. Someone else may chime in on steelies. I doubt a disc kit will fit a 15 at all, because my aluminum 15's touch the caliper bracket without the caliper installed. As far as quality, I'm very happy with the CPP kit.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
CRMW

I also have a kit from CPP for the dront brakes. I have a set of steel 6 lug 15" squarebody 4x4 wheels on it now with no issues and a set of 15" smoothies that fit as well. I did a power steering and hydroboost conversion at the same time using and old system off an 85 diesel c2500 and am very happy with the entire set up so far.

Chris
Old 06-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
68 P.O.S.

Take a look at ECE. Good quality and solid reputation. https://www.earlyclassic.com/
Old 06-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
un4gvn!

If you are dropping your truck, you will find lots of vendors with cool sets. If you want to stay stock height, find a 71 and up truck and you will save a lot of money by using the set up. You can also purchase 6 lug rotors to use your wheels.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange67 View Post
I got mine from CPP, it will not work with 15 inch aluminum wheels. Someone else may chime in on steelies. I doubt a disc kit will fit a 15 at all, because my aluminum 15's touch the caliper bracket without the caliper installed. As far as quality, I'm very happy with the CPP kit.
What exact aluminum wheels do you have??? LOL, not trying to sound like a Beavis..just help. I want Liberace to get on the road, as soon as you do!!!

Not all wheels are made alike. Some aluminum have a LOT of aluminum in them, to make them strong. Some are cast, they need as much material as possible. Forged and hardened wheels like Centerline don't need as much material, they are VERY strong, even as little as they weigh...

I am NOT an expert on this, although on Chevy pickups (even stock ones') the caliper sits pretty high away from the center of the spindle. I can see where some wheels would NOT fit...

Next!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
MDPotter

I got my front kit from Performance Online (reseller of Western Chassis) and it all went together great. It was cheaper than CPP and GMCPauls, but it didn't come with brake shields and none of it is painted.

I don't know how you can run 15's with disc brakes without spacers. I'm running 17's and I wouldn't want to go any smaller.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #8
typerr

I bought my drop kit from Brothers Truck during their sale in April and it came with POL 2.5" drop spindles that have a "WC" casting mark and 2" springs. The brake kit was on backorder so I picked up the brakes from CPP. I've also got CPP tubular arms top and bottom. I'm running Wheel Vintique 15x7 6 lug rallies in front with 4" backspacing and have a ton of clearance. I had to take the POL front sway bar back as it was not even close with the CPP arms and switched to a CPP bar which lined up perfect. Everything is working great!
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
dannies68

I am planning on dropping the front 2.5". I picked up a set of nearly new 15" centerlines with radial TA's for $500 last summer that I would love to run so im hoping they will fit. not the end of the world if not.

I think, due to the quality and ease of installation, I will just go with the CPP kit (even though I don't really want to spend $1545.

BUUUUT when I went to buy it on their website, it said shipping would be roughly $250. That is INSANE! Does anyone know how I can get discounted or free shipping?
Old 07-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
typerr

Quote:
I am planning on dropping the front 2.5". I picked up a set of nearly new 15" centerlines with radial TA's for $500 last summer that I would love to run so im hoping they will fit. not the end of the world if not.

I think, due to the quality and ease of installation, I will just go with the CPP kit (even though I don't really want to spend $1545.

BUUUUT when I went to buy it on their website, it said shipping would be roughly $250. That is INSANE! Does anyone know how I can get discounted or free shipping?
I've noticed that about everything CPP makes is also available from Summit who may have much cheaper shipping.
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
dannies68

Quote:
Originally Posted by typerr View Post
I've noticed that about everything CPP makes is also available from Summit who may have much cheaper shipping.
I did notice that, but summits site said the product isn't available until mid september
Old 07-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #12
siggyfreud

Quote:

Try Matt's Classic Bowties. They're on the forum and can set you up with a kit from various vendors and have very reasonable shipping rates (sometimes free I think). I ordered my CPP spindles and Baer brakes from them.

Performance Online also sells kits in a good price range, and they have their own front disc kit. I'd go with them over CPP. Honestly, I avoid CPP wherever possible. A lot of their stuff isn't of great quality, and more importantly (to me) their customer service is junk. I haven't dealt with Performance Online's service, but MCB's has been stellar thus far.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
dannies68

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Try Matt's Classic Bowties. They're on the forum and can set you up with a kit from various vendors and have very reasonable shipping rates (sometimes free I think). I ordered my CPP spindles and Baer brakes from them.

Performance Online also sells kits in a good price range, and they have their own front disc kit. I'd go with them over CPP. Honestly, I avoid CPP wherever possible. A lot of their stuff isn't of great quality, and more importantly (to me) their customer service is junk. I haven't dealt with Performance Online's service, but MCB's has been stellar thus far.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I will look into both places. also, I see you are also in Portland. Hopefully I can check out your current build sometime! The truck I will be fiddling with is a 68 swb that my father in law bought in 1970. He refuses to look at it like a classic and still only sees it as an old work truck. It has sat in his garage since 1992!
Old 07-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #14
siggyfreud

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the info. I will look into both places. also, I see you are also in Portland. Hopefully I can check out your current build sometime! The truck I will be fiddling with is a 68 swb that my father in law bought in 1970. He refuses to look at it like a classic and still only sees it as an old work truck. It has sat in his garage since 1992!
For sure! Let me know if you ever need a hand as well. Hoping to have it driving again in a couple of weeks to do a few car shows before I begin the next big project.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:41 AM   #15
Mbeef61

Another portlander here following along. I plan on doing a qa1 coilovers suspension this winter. I plan on doing brakes at the same time. I wanted 15s but that may be tough so I guess I have to look into wheels also. $$$
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote