The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
artctp

C20 2wd leaf spring 72 rear brake adjuster arm

I am trying to finish work on my 1972 C20 brakes, and it does not appear that they make an automatic brake adjuster arm for leaf spring trucks. The ones I see are for coil spring trucks, and they are smaller. Does anyone have one or know a source for new ones? I will try to rob another differential I have if I can win the battle of decades of rust and get it apart.
artctp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:05 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: C20 2wd leaf spring 72 rear brake adjuster arm

Can you post some pics? Those parts are common as dirt and should be readily available. A couple of years ago I went through this with parts that were "boxed wrong", in parts store lingo. I don't think that coil Vs leaf springs make a difference, but I can be educated.

I have a Dana 60 differential. What do you have?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:55 AM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

That arm is not available, some people say the strut is available but I haven’t seen it. I sell the arms and struts all the time, same story on the 12 bolt rear ends, not available.
I have one set left for a dana 60, 2 struts and 2 arms, $60 shipped.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:07 AM   #4
kwmech

I've actually got a 60 I'm taking apart right now and putting disc brakes on for a customer so ask away. 71-72 rear
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:14 AM   #5
Ironangel

All those brake parts are still available if you know how to look for them, the key is being able to find the factory part numbers. Amazon has the struts and the adjusting levers for like $10 delivered. Don't mean to step on any board members toes but that's why most good mechanics wear steel toed boots. https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-21149-...let+C20+Pickup Heres the "LEFT" adjusting lever, note that they are left right specific https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-H25...let+C20+Pickup, You can use Rockauto.com to look up parts and part numbers. Amazon Prime is a great tool as well...Good luck!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
All those brake parts are still available if you know how to look for them, the key is being able to find the factory part numbers. Amazon has the struts and the adjusting levers for like $10 delivered. Don't mean to step on any board members toes but that's why most good mechanics wear steel toed boots. https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-21149-...let+C20+Pickup Heres the "LEFT" adjusting lever, note that they are left right specific https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-H25...let+C20+Pickup, You can use Rockauto.com to look up parts and part numbers. Amazon Prime is a great tool as well...Good luck!
That looks like the strut....the other link is not the lever though. I would like to know if it’s out there for sale, same for a 12 bolt.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
That looks like the strut....the other link is not the lever though. I would like to know if it’s out there for sale, same for a 12 bolt.
They absolutely are Randy...I rebuild rear axles and front's for my 4x4 and drag racing buddies. Both my 72's have the 12-bolt's. Carlson and Raybestos as well as Delco/Remy/Moraine...Google's your friend, make em earn their money. I've had good luck using Rockauto's data base, in fact, they should pay me for correcting and bringing flaws in their data base to their attention. I just finished an 83 GM Dana 60 Front, little stuff like king pin gaskets, bearings, and seals was fun locating at reasonable prices. I also use fleabay quite a bit and have established some excellent trustworthy sources there as well...
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
Old 06-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
They absolutely are Randy...I rebuild rear axles and front's for my 4x4 and drag racing buddies. Both my 72's have the 12-bolt's. Carlson and Raybestos as well as Delco/Remy/Moraine...Google's your friend, make em earn their money. I've had good luck using Rockauto's data base, in fact, they should pay me for correcting and bringing flaws in their data base to their attention. I just finished an 83 GM Dana 60 Front, little stuff like king pin gaskets, bearings, and seals was fun locating at reasonable prices. I also use fleabay quite a bit and have established some excellent trustworthy sources there as well...
It’s easy to say you found parking brake levers on amazon, rockauto, whichever...post up the actual parts. I haven’t had to find them because I don’t throw them away like a lot of people do but our members do need those parts and I’m almost out of them. Every few months someone asks here where to find those parts and nobody has ever posted where to get them new, if the posts go on long enough I go out and make sure I still have a set and sell them a good used set.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
randy500
Account Suspended

And if you think that k-Martish dormant 21149 part is the same as these originals your fooling yourself. Here is a picture of the correct parts for your reference for when you don’t find the levers on amazon, rockauto or whichever.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
artctp

Thanks for the posts. Some of the links take you to the same place I stared when I was just going for new ones. My main suppliers only had the arms for coil, not leaf. There is a difference on this differential. I finally got time to tackle two other differentials. The first one came apart easily...to easy, as I probably sold the brake parts to a customer a few years ago. The second one was a tough go, but I got it apart. The attached shows what I needed. I will get back to finishing the brake work, now that I have taken the grandkids fishing as promised.
Attached Images

artctp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #11
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
It’s easy to say you found parking brake levers on amazon, rockauto, whichever...post up the actual parts. I haven’t had to find them because I don’t throw them away like a lot of people do but our members do need those parts and I’m almost out of them. Every few months someone asks here where to find those parts and nobody has ever posted where to get them new, if the posts go on long enough I go out and make sure I still have a set and sell them a good used set.
Had some work to do today, just got back in...The OP indicated brake "automatic adjusting arm" which I understood to be the self adjusting levers...Randy your pic is showing parking brake levers? I'm wondering what axle is under that truck because his pic is showing a two piece adjusting lever similar to the Ford Dana adjusting levers...I entered a 1972 C/20 rear and posted what their data base said was compatible. Maybe some pics of the cover? That may be an Eaton HO52 or HO72? If its a Dana axle there should be a BOM (bill of material) number stamped in the right tube and a "60" cast in the lower right housing that would help clarify what we're looking for...?
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage