The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #51
Simonstrucker
Big Block Short Bed Stepside

Detail this weekend about some of the truck for you to give us an honest review.
Simonstrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #52
Aquivarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker
Body style-2wd
I'de favore the SWB 67 or possibly a 71-72 with a 67-68 hood (One of my favorites mods and you don't see it often).

Overall style

It needs to be drivable not a trailer queen or strip only.

A little street rod mixed with a little pro street. Use pro street big n little tire combination but using updated 17 or 18 inch wheel diameter. Aggressive stance of course. Shaved drip rails, marker lights and trim.
Aloha From Iraq!

Stroker Had some really good ideas and I Agree with him up to a point.
For suspension, I would take a stock stance and add air bags to it so you can go from an aggressive low stance to a smooth stock ride at the touch of a button.
For drivetrain, id say Add EFI to a 327 (dont see those that often) with a TH400 with a shift kit (sporty style and never gets boring) with a nice throaty dual exhaust system with an X pipe (flowmasters?).
Interior, Id go with some bucket seats with with a custom fiberglass console. Custom tweed interior pieces, custom gauge conversion, dash extended to the windshield and some comforts in the cab (AC, Power windows, Power Locks, GPS Nav built into the flip-up screen on the cd deck and some seat heaters.)
As stroker said I would keep the outside clean and smooth.Nice 69-72 with a classic 69-70 grill and a 67-68 hood. LED and Xenon Lighting, etc. Get some 17s - 19s for a nice look.

Well anyway I think I gave my $2.50 but it sounds like you guys want some good ideas and your working with some money and skill so there ya go.

On the side, wanna do my truck before I get back from Iraq? never hurts to ask.

Currently Serving In IRAQ. (Man it sucks over here..)
Aquivarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:57 AM   #53
Simonstrucker
Big Block Short Bed Stepside

Well I told you I would give you all a little info so here it is let me know what you think. The engine for the project will be a Gale Banks Duramax Diesel with a six speed manual. All thought and comments welcome.
Simonstrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:09 AM   #54
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Whats the name of the show?

Is this going to be for pulling, 1/4 mile racing, off roading, or something else. Personally I like the 69-72 as four wheelers and the early fronts on streeters. But a 6 speed manual behind a turbo diesel sounds kind of odd really. I have nothing against diesels and they are all the rage right now, but an automatic made for the high torque would make more sense.

The look of the interior has to fit the overall truck and that depends on what style the truck will be made into. With drivetrain your talking, I'd like to see a giant 4x4 with a brushed aluminum interior.

Or go Nastruck with it, drop it, get rid of any etra weight, do some aerodynamic tricks, get that sucker flying around the track at 200+ mph.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #55
socal67chevy
1967 SWB sw

I currently own a 67 shortbed, small window, and would be willing to act surprised if you wanted to restore on tv.
socal67chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #56
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

I say go with an Art Morrison complete chassis with air bags all the way around, the diesel with 6speed will be awesome. Shave the entire body and running 22" x 10 in the rear and 20" x 8's in the rear. Make it a fleetside bed and I guess since it is gale banks involvement paint it black and red. All red leather interior with auto meter gauges and no limit gauge panel. Shave the drip rail all around the cab also. No door handles, side markers or any other junk on the outside of the body. Completely smooth and clean. Roll pan in the rear with shaved flat tailgate skin and 2006 Corvetter c-6 rear lamps in the roll pan to bring it up to date in the rear. For the front fit a 67 hood on the 72 grille shell and fenders.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #57
TP from Cntl PA

Happy with the 6 spd part..............Just wish the engine brand started with a "C"

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #58
TP from Cntl PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes
But a 6 speed manual behind a turbo diesel sounds kind of odd really. I have nothing against diesels and they are all the rage right now, but an automatic made for the high torque would make more sense.
If you ever do any real towing with a Diesel Pk-up you be amazed at how long auto's actually hold up, no-no-no, I should rephrase that, how long measured in months The only ones who want autos behind diesels in my area are the guys who are pulling single axle utility trailers hauling 6 2x4's and think they are loaded. Yup, the auto's live a long time in that world..............Get me a gooseneck stock trailer full of 2,000 lbs steers and I could show anyone how long an automatic WON'T last. I've even heard of more than a handful of Allison failures in trucks the bull haulers run. On one of the ag. board I frequent numbers were posted and the D-max is almost maxing out the capacity of the Allison in acouple of the gears. I've seen Banks on TV talk about some of the numbers he "THINKS" he can make in a D-max, IMO he'll probably have to look at a 9 speed Fuller to get that kind of power to the rear wheels before all is said and done, then the axle will be the weak link.

I have to chuckle though, these diesels in pickups are making more power now than what we were running in OTR trucks in the late 60's, with a transmission just a wee bit bigger than what is in a the BIG cars of the 70's...........I guess if you only are into hauling 2x4's and putting on a smoke show at a light it works. I have nothing against automatics, but this idea of "HD automatic" isn't what it seems when you actually use it in a HD type of environment behind a commercial duty engine to its capacity.

And to think, they asked for my opinion (Now, before I am chased down by a mob, I am going to look for cover )

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote