The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #26
HuggerCST

Re: Brakes:Did You Know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstanley
that's kinda what this thread has turned into. that's the route i'm gonna try, at hugger's suggestion. so if it doesn't work, i'll just send him the bill
I'm glad I found some guiney pigs to try it!
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #27
HuggerCST

Quote:
WELL, AS I DIG DEEPER, I'VE FOUND THIS INFO IN MY gm rESTORATION PACKET, LISTING OE equipment, having to do with brake sizes (this is by no means 100% accurate, as i've found a few discrepancies in it before.)

in '72, C10s had:
Front - Disc 11.86" rotor
Rear - Drum 11" x 2"

C30's had:
Front - Disc 12.5" rotor
Rear - Drum 13" x 2-1/2"

anyone think that using this more powerful booster will have an adverse effect on the braking, due to the differences in the brake sizes?
The one ton master cylinder could have an adverse effect, but the booster should only help your braking power. I see no reason why the 1 ton booster won't work. If I needed one right now, that's what I would buy, but my truck isn't even driveable yet, so I'm not the best test subject.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #28
Robert1970C20rstbukt

My truck had a C10 booster on it for who knows how long. It worked OK, but it finally gave out one day, I could bearly get the truck stopped. I got a booster off of a '72 GMC 1 ton, made a huge difference. You won't need front discs with a 1 ton booster.

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck
Robert1970C20rstbukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #29
cstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerCST
I'm glad I found some guiney pigs to try it!
that's cool, i have a money tree out back. only problem is that i haven't been able to afford to water it this summer...

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #30
fearnatine13
Boondock Saint

Quote:
that's cool, i have a money tree out back. only problem is that i haven't been able to afford to water it this summer...

you have a money tree that grows on water? freakin sweet! my money tree grows off gasoline...92 octane gasoline...at 3.40 a gallon...and it needs about 40 gallons to make any money.
That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be
En nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti
fearnatine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:10 AM   #31
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

The master cyls are bigger on 3/4T & 1T, but seem to work fine on 1/2T. The early drum/drum booster will work with the 1/2T MC...however, the 71-2 booster disc/drum uses a MC that is unique and not the same depth hole as the 1/2T.
You must run the matching 71-2 MC with the same year booster...and note that the dual boosters do use a matching set of brackets. The 1/2T brackets are not the same and don't space the booster off the firewall correctly.
Confused yet?
It is a good upgrade...if you don't screw it up!!!

The top booster set is 1/2T drum/drum and also drum/disc.
The bottom booster set is 3/4T & 1T drum/drum. Notice the differences?
I don't have pic of 3/4T & 1T disc/drum 71-2 set, but they are completely different again.
If you don't have the correct brackets & MC to go with the booster, you are in trouble!
Attached Images

Last edited by PICKMUP; 07-28-2006 at 12:18 AM.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:51 AM   #32
ERASER5

Which brings us back to my question. Where can I find the brackets? Most of the junk yards around here are picked clean.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #33
cstanley

well, i guess you'll soon see a post from me requesting 1 ton brackets!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #34
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP
The top booster set is 1/2T drum/drum and also drum/disc.
The bottom booster set is 3/4T & 1T drum/drum. Notice the differences?
I don't have pic of 3/4T & 1T disc/drum 71-2 set, but they are completely different again.
If you don't have the correct brackets & MC to go with the booster, you are in trouble!
Of all of those mentioned, which ones support having a the brake vacuum hose into the booster? all, or none?

Anyone know how much different an 89+ GM truck booster + MC assembly and bracket differ from the stock setup for a 67-70 and 71-72?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 07-28-2006 at 10:09 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #35
Richard Dobson

Is there a core charge with these purchases? I want to know because I want to go from a std brake disc system to a boostered one, and I would'nt have a core with a booster. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #36
shifty
Questionable

$25 core on the booster.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #37
cstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
$25 core on the booster.
there would also be a core on the m/c setup i ordered, except that i ordered a NEW one, therefore there wasn't a core charge assessed. i spoke with the guy at advanced yesterday, and he was even surprised that Cardone was producing a new version of the m/c. the picture showed it as having a modern-style clear plastic reservior on the top, instead of a cast one. i don't know if that's really what it will look like or not, but we'll see.

had i ordered the reman one, it would have been an $8 core charge, i think. the different suppliers varied on these core charges, though.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #38
dougs69c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobs
Typically I like NAPA parts BUT I purchased a rebuilt booster from them and it failed after about 18 months. I won't ever buy another one from them.
every part company is gonna have a problem part, no one is perfect. Ive had less problems with hard parts at napa than I have at autozone or oriellys.

Id put more trust in napa parts than anyother part house out there, prob helps Im a store manager too lol
Old 07-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #39
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

With the exception of the starters, altenators, batteries & GM style fuel pumps. Othe than that, NAPA has some good stuff.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #40
fearnatine13
Boondock Saint

i'm still wondering if the 1 ton booster from a '69 will fit a 1/2 ton 69...no one has really come out and said yea or nay yet...as for napa, i've had good experiences from them, and will continue to use them!
That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be
En nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti
fearnatine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #41
cstanley

regarding the posted pics (and other references i've found for parts) my m/c is not the same. so far i haven't found it in any of my references, either, so i'm wondering if it's correct. see below, unequal reservior chambers. also, i got my new 1 ton m/c today, but not yet on the booster. it looks like the original cast one...
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #42
dougs69c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
With the exception of the starters, altenators, batteries & GM style fuel pumps. Othe than that, NAPA has some good stuff.
everyone has opinions..........
Old 08-03-2006, 03:26 AM   #43
ERASER5

The NAPA booster /mc and the ones from Advance, do not seem to come with the needed mounting brackets or the pedel/booster rod. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The P/N NBB 501011 1 ton dual booster + mc is $ 159.00 plus $33.75 core. That comes to $192.75. Returning my mc will get me $8.75 back. So a total of $184.00 would be spent and I would still need brackets and a rod.

So would $175.00 plus $21.00 shipping for an entire dual booster/mc/brakets/rod look like a good deal? That would be a total of $196.00. $12 dollars more than NAPA with the hard-to-find parts included.

Last edited by ERASER5; 08-03-2006 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:37 AM   #44
ThatOneBlue67
I survived Dead Man's Curve.

Now, would this all work on a half ton 1967 with all wheel drums?

"The Hurricane"
1967 Chevrolet C10
350 Eight Cylinder, 700R4 BowtieOverdrive

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the Peace Since 1968.
ThatOneBlue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:53 AM   #45
ERASER5

The attached printout says so. I need to do some more research. The mc is a corvette style. The front and rear bowels are the same size. Both drum/drum and disc/disc mc's are made this way. There still might be some differences. Also there is no proportioning valve included so that could be a problem. I was going to try and use my original valve.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #46
special-K
Special Order

You guys are on your own with all this swap-around brake stuff,you know.I believe the brakes were already engineered by GM and work as well as you could need.Is someone experiencing poor braking from a properly functioning stock brake system?Isn`t the booster just an "assist" component and not part of the hydraulic system that actually stops the vehicle?I`m just putting thought to where it seems to have been overlooked,since this has become a booster think tank.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:04 PM   #47
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
Is someone experiencing poor braking from a properly functioning stock brake system?
Only everytime I fill the 350 gal water tank and drive home. The down hill sharp curves are a lot of fun if the front brakes weren't just recently adjusted. Even if the brakes were adjusted, it is a real leg work out. And that is not going over 30mph. Under normal unloaded driving, I still have to adjust the fronts brakes every 6 months or so. Ultimately I want disc brakes up front.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #48
special-K
Special Order

I was talking more about guys with 1/2t trucks w/power discs wanting to use a 1t booster.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #49
SB406
FORD is a 4 letter word.

I've got stock disc up front, added disc from an impala SS in rear...
Truck was originally NOT PB
Using a 3/4T booster & brackets....MC is from an impala SS.
Stops nice but I've always felt that it should be a little better. I'm wondering about my booster since some brake fluid got in it from the previous MC.

Is it possible that 1 of the diaphrams is bad, but not the other? How can I tell?
Here's the other thing...There's a rubber "boot" between the MC & the Booster...Without that installed, there was a major vac leak & PB didn't work too good.

By the way, the pedal rod it pretty SH****Y on the 3/4T setup. I had somebody cut me off...I mashed the pedal so hard I bent the friggin rod! had to make a new one out of a grade 8 bolt & some other materials.

Last edited by SB406; 08-03-2006 at 03:53 PM.
SB406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #50
cstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
I was talking more about guys with 1/2t trucks w/power discs wanting to use a 1t booster.
for me, my 1/2t booster is dead, and the m/c isn't in very good working order, either (never been replaced to my knowledge) and i thought i'd take the opportunity to improve performance if i could, if it's mainly just a parts swap. to me, the truck never has stopped very well, even with the front discs. (a few VERY close calls and having to really STAND on the brakes while only towing an old stepside trailer.) i just decided to try it out, since i was at it anyway. and yes, the drums and discs are still in decent shape...
right now i want ANY improvement, the more the better.

btw, i got my '72 1t booster today. i'm still at the office, but it looks nearly identical in size/shape/rod length to my 1/2t booster. i'll try to put it on tonight and take pics...maybe i won't need 1t brackets?