The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #51
70rs/ss

Re: Brakes:Did You Know?

Guys the idea of using the 3/4 or 1 ton is that it has two diaphrams instead of the single. I put a 3/4 ton 4x4 on my 72 1/2 ton K5 and the peddle is effortless, which will be nice when I get the 37"'s on it. As for a 2wd disc drum or drum drum, I don't know thatt I'd do it. I have really only heard of hard brake peddle issues on the K5's and 4X4's trucks and burbs. I do not see any benefit of a 1 ton over the 3/4 ton except that some people believe bigger is better. I can assure you that the dual diaphram is better than the single, and this is how GM progressed with their brake technology. Besides, my K5 came with dinky tiny tires from the factory, so more brakes are good!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #52
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstanley
btw, i got my '72 1t booster today. i'm still at the office, but it looks nearly identical in size/shape/rod length to my 1/2t booster. i'll try to put it on tonight and take pics...maybe i won't need 1t brackets?
So, any news cstanley? I am hanging on your every word.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #53
pkj

this is a great thread to follow but has confused me at some points. i have 68 drum/drum manuel brake and want to go power but not disc. so i have nothing to start with and no time to junk yard cores, brackets, rods etc. i
need the 3/4 or is it the 1 ton booster what mc and other parts. where do i go and what do i get? proporting valve? i love this thread and want to try it but with little spare time i would like to get parts at least number of sources thanks in advance for your help.
pkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #54
cstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
So, any news cstanley? I am hanging on your every word.
well, unfortunately i left the office in a hurry yesterday and forgot the new booster, so i didn't get to work on it last night. but tonight...yeah buddy.

i did check my old one, and they look to be identical on the outside, so confidence is high.

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #55
cstanley

okay, i installed the 1 ton booster and m/c tonight (mostly.) it fit, but there's a little hiccup i'll have to solve tomorrow.

i started a separate thread on it here. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=207554

Old 08-05-2006, 07:33 AM   #56
special-K
Special Order

Three pages of hijack,now you start a thread.That`s just funnyI originally started this thread because I saw guys buying used boosters,paying for shipping,and finding it was a crap-shoot on matching up and getting a good booster or m/c.I went to NAPA,a trusted name in auto parts,and simply asked for a master cyl/booster and later that day had it for what would be a small additional expense to the crap-shoot option.
I`m not barking about the hijack,really.I truly find it amusing

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-05-2006 at 07:33 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #57
cstanley

yeah, sorry about the hijack, i just got excited...that's why i finally thought this was enough and started a different thread.

i've had my truck for 13 years, and i can't remember a time when it would brake like anyone else's, so that's why i'm chasing rabbits.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #58
special-K
Special Order

JUST STOP IT!!! Get it?Just stop it?Heh heh......Heh?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote