The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #76
laynrockers

Re: My own build thread

Great work man!! Truck is gonna be sick. Love the renderings.
laynrockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #77
Realnoisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippeay View Post
I did make some progress a few weeks ago but the family and I took a vacation down to Disneyland... Holy crap is that place expensive now! It cost me almost 1500 bucks just for park passes and that was using a military discount... Ridiculous!
Basically the body work is done on the hood, I mounted the front shocks and I'm trying to figure out where to mount the rear shocks today and hopefully get the firewall prepped and in primer. Will post pics later. Thanks All!
Posted via Mobile Device
Geez, you must have several children!
Realnoisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #78
zippeay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realnoisy View Post
Geez, you must have several children!
That's an understatement... I have 6! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
zippeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #79
Dinos63
chevy only

congrats trucks looking sic..... and congrats on the kids wow!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #80
dr69burb

Nice progress. I went to Disneyland last week too. Its so expensive!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #81
zippeay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
congrats trucks looking sic..... and congrats on the kids wow!
No congradulations needed sir, actually I'm willing to pay people to take my kids.... They don't clean up, they whine a lot, they are expensive but hey, they are all good looking because of their Mom
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone, I hope it turns out half as nice as the rendering.
I'm starting to think I'm never going to get this damn thing finished... I spent 5-6 hours making the rear shock mount brackets because I got the bright idea of just modifying a set of stock front shocks and making them work for the rear...
Well, they work but holy crap was it a PITA to compress the shocks, hold the tabs, weld and try to make sure everything staid in the correct place all by myself... I did my fair share of cussing and acting like a child but I got it all done...
The reason it took me so long was that I used the top bolt setup from the front shock "the bolt with the long stud that comes with the shock" and used that for the bottom and welded it to my 4 link bracket to use for the bottom shock mount.
What I didn't realize at the time "like an idiot" was that the bottom hole in the shock isn't the same diameter as the top, it has a roll pin in a rubber grommet.
So... no big deal I thought I'd just use my press and push the roll pin out and bolt it in... WRONG! Once I got the stupid roll pin out of the grommet the hole was much too small for the bolt. So I spent about an hour with a high speed grinder trying to make the hole large enough because I didn't have a big enough drill bit. It actually turned out prety well but it took me a long time. There has to be a shock out there that will fit without any modification but I had already bought these shocks and didn't realize it would take this long to make these work. But now everything is welded in and fits pretty good. Now I need to figure out how to mount this gas tank.

Here are the tabs I made, I didn't take a good picture of how I did the bottom.
The good news is that both front and rear shocks are done.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #82
zippeay

Ok, another update. Last night I finished installing the rear shocks and installed my Capt Fab steering box adapter "works great BTW". Tonight I have to finish welding up the frame because I had to notch it because the steering linkage was hitting a little then I can hopefully paint the frame, finally...
Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #83
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Just read through this. that is going to be one killer truck. I really dig the paint scheme.
Posted via Mobile Device
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #84
zippeay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Just read through this. that is going to be one killer truck. I really dig the paint scheme.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I appreciate the comments!

Ok, so I got a little done this weekend. Not as much as I would liked but progress is progress right!
I installed my "new" tilt wheel column, I need to go get some universals and a hime joint today so I can finish the steering linkage but here is the column. Obviously I need to change the steering wheel but you get the idea.

I also installed the gas tank, I can't believe these damn things come with no instructions... I ended up moving the rear cross member back, welding in some square stock in the front to make a box so the flanges on the tank hold it up. Then I took one of the straps and welded it in front and bolted it to the back. I left the strap about an inch short so when I bolt it down tight it hold it from moving. There's probably better ways to do it but I didn't want to put the tank any lower for fear of scraping it on the ground when the bags are down.

I also finished welded up the portions I cut out for clearance for the steering linkage. Curving 3/16 plate steel is not easy... A vice and a Big ass hammer work well.... lol

Here's the top of one of the plates I welded in

Oh ya, I also finished striping the whole firewall and windshield channel, makes a bit of mess.... haha!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #85
Low Elco

I looked the same after stripping the rear of my truck yesterday. Damn man, lots of great work! Pulling for you!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #86
zippeay

I started taking the dash apart yesterday and finally took down this awesome custom corderoy headliner that was help up by.... wait... yep those are 70's dresser hardware and plastic mirror brackets holding it up! lmao!

Hopefully I can get the dash and everything sanded as well as the 800 holes the PO drilled in everything by this weekend and get the inside of the cab primed. If I can accomplish all of that I will be pretty happy.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #87
McMurphy

Good luck buddy, I know I was pretty happy to get all that done as well.
Now I am at the dash and below at this point now.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #88
zippeay

Got the steering completed. I thought I was going to have to use a hime joint but after putting everything together it turns really well with no problems

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #89
Realnoisy

Quote:
Got the steering completed. I thought I was going to have to use a hime joint but after putting everything together it turns really well with no problems
Looking good!

I just finished doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago and had to use three knuckle joints. I noticed you welded the first joint on the shaft closest the steering shaft lower bearing. How are you going to adjust/align your steering wheel without adjustment bolts after wheel alignment?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #90
zippeay

Quote:
Looking good!

I just finished doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago and had to use three knuckle joints. I noticed you welded the first joint on the shaft closest the steering shaft lower bearing. How are you going to adjust/align your steering wheel without adjustment bolts after wheel alignment?
That's a great idea... But I didn't think about that, haha I just put the wheel where it needed to go and welded everything up. If for some reason it's a problem I can cut the welds and bolt it I guess. I don't think it will be a problem though.
Actually the more I think about this I don't know if I'm following you. The only way I would think you could adjust this would be to slot some holes and I'm not sure if I would feel to safe doing that. A stock steering shaft doesn't have adjustment. I've built a few hot rods and I've always done it this way and haven't had any problems. As long as you make sure your seat is in a good spot then the seat adjusts rather than the steering shaft.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by zippeay; 12-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #91
Realnoisy

Quote:
That's a great idea... But I didn't think about that, haha I just put the wheel where it needed to go and welded everything up. If for some reason it's a problem I can cut the welds and bolt it I guess. I don't think it will be a problem though.
Actually the more I think about this I don't know if I'm following you. The only way I would think you could adjust this would be to slot some holes and I'm not sure if I would feel to safe doing that. A stock steering shaft doesn't have adjustment. I've built a few hot rods and I've always done it this way and haven't had any problems. As long as you make sure your seat is in a good spot then the seat adjusts rather than the steering shaft.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just drilled and tapped two holes and used allen head bolts and lock nuts. It works good but I hear you on the safety concern. I will probably get mine aligned first and then tack weld it for safety reasons. I've converted to power steering so it a breeze on the steering shaft. If I had manual steering, then I would really have concern.

I'm really enjoying your build thread. I can tell you have really worked your butt off on this project and you're doing a great job. You take chances that most wouldn't dare and if you make a mistake, you fix it, and move forward. That's tough to do raising 6 children! Keep up the good work!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #92
zippeay

Quote:
I just drilled and tapped two holes and used allen head bolts and lock nuts. It works good but I hear you on the safety concern. I will probably get mine aligned first and then tack weld it for safety reasons. I've converted to power steering so it a breeze on the steering shaft. If I had manual steering, then I would really have concern.

I'm really enjoying your build thread. I can tell you have really worked your butt off on this project and you're doing a great job. You take chances that most wouldn't dare and if you make a mistake, you fix it, and move forward. That's tough to do raising 6 children! Keep up the good work!

Wow, thank you for the compliments! There two things I really don't mess with too much and that is brakes and steering. I had an old friend tell me to never mess around with either, over engineer them and never modify those two things but if you have to use really good parts. Everything else is fair game. I've always tried to follow that because it makes a lot of sense for safety purposes.
I honestly wasn't sure how many people liked my build on here because I'm more into traditional hot rod style stuff than most people seem to be on here but I'm glad you like it. My intention of this build was to build it really nice but still drivable and use as many stock parts as I could instead of buying tubular suspension.
I did that for two reasons, one is because I couldn't afford those things "which in hind site I've still spent a lot and had to spend a ton of time fabricating things" but I like fabricating so I don't see that as a negative. For two I want to show a complete build that other people could follow and hopefully use as a guide for their build instead of searching a bunch of different threads to use as a guide. I know a lot of people would have done things different but hopefully someone finds this thread useful. Again I'm glad you like it, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #93
zippeay

Well, here's there latest. I tore the whole cab apart and welded up probably 80 holes the PO decided to drill everywhere but I forgot pics of that. My Old man helped me hang the fenders last night and mock up the front one last time before paint. We still nee to finish the body work on the passengers door and a few spots on the cab that I patched. Then she should be ready for paint! I keep saying that but hopefully I'm right this time. I also broke my damn wedding ring last night . Yes I know I shouldn't wear it while working but I can't use my left hand very well and I can't feel that finger at all, haha! Seriously I had a botched surgery a few years ago and I lost the use and feeling in half my hand.
Anyway here are the pics.

My old man, he's awesome at body work!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #94
Realnoisy

He don't look like an old man!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #95
zippeay

Quote:
He don't look like an old man!
Only old people say that! Haha!

Put the bed on for the last time to figure out the mounting and also figure out the bumper brackets.

Getting pretty excited now. Can't wait to squirt the paint on!

Wheels tuck really nice!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #96
Realnoisy

Quote:
Only old people say that! Haha!
LMAO! Someday you will say it too!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #97
zippeay

Quote:
LMAO! Someday you will say it too!
I'm getting there, I'm 34 now and I still don't believe it...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #98
Realnoisy

Quote:
I'm getting there, I'm 34 now and I still don't believe it...
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh geez, you're still in diapers! The truck is looking great...keep it up! I'm on hiatus until after xmas. Then, I'm going to z'frame, install my T5, and get to work on the rear. Hopefully driving by summer.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #99
zippeay

Nice, good luck! I was supposed to be done last summer haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #100
coulter

haha same story on my truck!!! keep up the good work man!!!

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote