The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
SilverMachine

How much lower is safe? - look

Name:  IMG_20180220_151130.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  73.2 KBHey guys, i currently have a belltech 3-5 drop on my 86, and ive been thinking about swapping the coils to try to get just a tad lower. im not trying to go as low as possible, cause its my daily driver, but i want to try to get a bit lower!
My only worry is my headers and their clearance. they currently have about 6.2 inches of clearance to the ground.
do you guys think i could get by with 2 inch lowering springs? or should i play it safe and go with 1" lowering springs.
Thanks!

Last edited by SilverMachine; 02-20-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: add picture
SilverMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
bdiamond

Re: How much lower is safe? - look

You should be ok with 2" I'd think. Be careful over speed bumps with those headers.
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
stanski

If your tires have sufficient sidewall height, just let air out in increments and drive around, you'll soon find out how low you can safely go. Also, take a good look and you'll note the first point of impact will likely be the lower control arms and whatever is behind them will survive. If your wheels are 8" or wider the tires will usually contact the inner tubs on even the smallest of road dips so that alone in the end will determine your final ride height.
stanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
SCOTI

For 'no worries' daily driving, you'll want ~5" clearance. 2" springs will put you close to that but will be just beyond that dimension so you'll want to go easy of speed bumps etc. You could always go w/different headers (I always try to keep everything above the bottom edge of the frame rails).

1" springs shouldn't be an issue
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
SilverMachine

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies.
My tire size is 275 r20 45. So I think that's like 10.3" wide.
I recently found 1.5" drop coils from a company on eBay made in the USA. So maybe that would be a nice option.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

As a daily driver, how many parking lot speed bumps do you have to deal with? Unless you go very slow over those, the truck will want to bounce a bit as the tires get to the flat road after the bump. About the same time as your headers are over the bump. If your truck is heavily loaded, it will both be sitting lower and subject to more bounce.

You might want to consider some shorty type headers first, then see where you are on being able to lower things. Otherwise, you might wind up re-buying lowering stuff if you buy lowering stuff first, then change the headers.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
SilverMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
As a daily driver, how many parking lot speed bumps do you have to deal with? Unless you go very slow over those, the truck will want to bounce a bit as the tires get to the flat road after the bump. About the same time as your headers are over the bump. If your truck is heavily loaded, it will both be sitting lower and subject to more bounce.

You might want to consider some shorty type headers first, then see where you are on being able to lower things. Otherwise, you might wind up re-buying lowering stuff if you buy lowering stuff first, then change the headers.
Yeah I definitely agree with you. The header idea is preferred since I'm starting to see some rust pop up on them anyway. The only thing that would hinder me from doing that is figuring how much work it would take to reconfigure the connection point for my exhaust and the new headers. Stanski brought up a good point too about tire rub, but with the common 4 inch drop in the front I don't think it should be a problem. I'll look for some shorty/ mid length headers.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
jkk

2 1/2 In spindles with 3 in springs long tube headers pretty close to the ground never hit........a lot depends on how you drive it and where you drive and things to avoid

jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
Dead Parrot

Nice truck! Here in OKC, we have lots of pot holes deeper then your control arm-pavement clearance. What few patches they do often create mounds of asphalt several inches tall. Needless to say, we have more standard or raised trucks then lowered. Even a lot of the cars with the real thin tall tires are raised.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:22 PM   #10
SilverMachine

Thumbs up Re: How much lower is safe? - look

Update. I found some Western chassis 1-1/2" drop coils. I'll probably go with them and see what happens.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #11
SilverMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk View Post
2 1/2 In spindles with 3 in springs long tube headers pretty close to the ground never hit........a lot depends on how you drive it and where you drive and things to avoid

Nice stance!that's what I want mine to be like. Just a little tire in the well!
Old 02-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #12
jkk

Thanks it's has a 2" rake to it which to me actually makes the front look lower
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:31 AM   #13
D13

I can tell you're not from Michigan. 4-6" deep potholes are the norm, wiht a couple of 8'+ on local paved roads right now. LOL.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #14
SilverMachine

So I got the 1.5 drop coils in!
The truck looks great and the headers do not seem to be a problem. The only difference is that on a full turn ( steering wheel turned all the way) the tires rub a bit on the inner wheel well. Also, when I hit a decent bump, the tires scrape the top of the wheel well a little bit!
Other than that I like it!