The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2020, 06:51 PM   #1
68PanelTruck

Where can I find this part?

I'm not sure what it's called. It is the metal plate directly above the windshield on the inside and runs the width of the cab. Mine is rusted and I want to replace it. I see them for sale for pickups and Blazers but not sure if one is available for a 68 Panel. Anyone know where I can find one?
68PanelTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Where can I find this part?

I think you are meaning piece 3 by your description. I think it should be the same for a suburban and panel truck.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1967-72-che...parts-suburban
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
68PanelTruck

Yes, Thanks! Most catalogs forget about Panel trucks in they're listings.

Trying to bring a 68 Panel Truck back from the dead. 396 Big Block, 4 on the floor, and a whole lot of rust.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
68PanelTruck

OK, I ordered the header panel for a Suburban and got it today. It is different than the panel in my Panel truck. The Sub part has holes that look like they are for those nuts that clip into place (can't remember the name) along the top edge. Maybe a headliner or trim piece attaches there? I'm not too familiar with Suburbans. Anyway, my Panel Truck header has a smooth top edge that is folded over towards the roof. It also slightly wider. But, the length and the general shape of it looks ok and I'm planning to use it one way or another since a Panel Truck specific one is probably not available. The holes for the sun visors look similar in size.

My next question is, How is this thing installed? I know it is spot welded in place but was it installed at the factory before the roof skin. The reason I ask is that it looks like it is notched between the A pillars. Not sure if it will just pop in once I remove the old one. I guess I'll find out this weekend
Attached Images

Trying to bring a 68 Panel Truck back from the dead. 396 Big Block, 4 on the floor, and a whole lot of rust.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:28 PM   #5
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That stinks it is different but that's probably the closest you're going to get for a new panel. I think I'd cut out your sun visor raised area and transfer it to this new panel. Maybe the center holes are the same and you can locate the old pieces on the new panel that way? You could probably cut the top rolled part off and cut your new panel and add it to it as well. Then it would look oe.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
68PanelTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
That stinks it is different but that's probably the closest you're going to get for a new panel. I think I'd cut out your sun visor raised area and transfer it to this new panel. Maybe the center holes are the same and you can locate the old pieces on the new panel that way? You could probably cut the top rolled part off and cut your new panel and add it to it as well. Then it would look oe.
Good idea, I didn't think of that. It really depends on what condition the original is in after I get it out of the truck. The visor holes look the same size and I'd bet they would work but I like your idea better. Thanks.