The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #651
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Got the rear brakes rebuilt with new hardware, pads, and drums. Also got the rear end set back in place.
Engine got cleaned up and painted after the rebuild.
Gotta pick up some gaskets today and get the accessories installed on the motor and ready to set it.....gonna wait till the brake lines get hete before we set it in.
One mo step in da process!!!
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #652
roll_the_dice

Looks great John! Love the engine!

So glad you have time to work on her again!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #653
cwcarpenter98

Dangit John, you're making me regret not taking the time to completely paint my engine
You'll be back on the road in no time!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #654
bigmoe

Instead of taking it back to the paint shop after reassembly for the stripe you should consider doing the stripe in vinyl. It was pretty easy to apply and cost me $30. And if you've got the trim holes it will be even easier for you.
Attached Images

bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #655
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Looks great John! Love the engine!

So glad you have time to work on her again!
Thanks Andy....its and enjoyment and challenging at the same time....but #gottaliveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Dangit John, you're making me regret not taking the time to completely paint my engine
You'll be back on the road in no time!
Its definitely makes it look alot better for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
Instead of taking it back to the paint shop after reassembly for the stripe you should consider doing the stripe in vinyl. It was pretty easy to apply and cost me $30. And if you've got the trim holes it will be even easier for you.
I hadnt thought about that. I dont have holes in my doors since they were NOS doors....well almost NOS as I found out....rhanks for the info
2019 GMC AT4
Old 09-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #656
Johns 66

Well one small progress thing......Got the rear end all buttoned up...all bolts tightened down, new bushings in panhard bar and it installed, rear shocks installed...kinda like the bright red shocks. Just waiting on the brake line stuff to get that area finished up. I am going to paint the rear drums and front calipers a cast color,,,think it will look a lil better than black.

Now for the opinion part of this...I talked with Andy several times over the last couple of days about this. Randy suggested that since my truck is completely apart that if I EVER wanted to do AC that now was the time to do it. It will save me much aggravation doing it now verses next spring/summer when I will actually need AC...I do live in Alabama...the land of humidity.

Here is my choices...I can buy a Vintage Air system and figure out how to put it in.....I like the vents that Corvette Jim sells and will be using them....Or I can buy an original system for the truck and use the dash vents....Best I can tell from the quotes I got is that the Vintage Air is roughly 800.00 cheaper than an original system.

I think an original system will have a better value than a VA System in the event it were to sell....as my uncle says...its not for sale but it can be bought. Based on what I am seeing, from research that I have done about 9% of these trucks came with factory air, but the deception is that AC was an accessory that the dealer could add....so unless you have the original SPID sheet or the original paperwork when the truck was bought there is no way to tell. Even if the dealer added it on later unless you have the original sales order you simply do not know. I am in no way trying to be deceptive about my truck...one quick look at the engine block will tell you its a 3 on the tree truck. Kinda like adding sway bars which I am doing.

My truck will not be completely original...I changed the brakes for safety reasons, added a 700R4 for drivability reasons, am changing the grille to a C60 grille cause I think its just cool and while the outside will be the original white the interior will be a charcoal gray looking color. All these things are easily changeable back to stock if someone so chose to do it. But I prefer to keep it as stock looking as possible given these few changes...of course her new shoes will be a dead giveaway.

So what do yall think....Open the hood and see 1966 everywhere or open it and see vintage air........
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 09-16-2020, 10:28 PM   #657
roll_the_dice

I really like the red shocks! A very nice pop of color underneath.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #658
cwcarpenter98

Hmmm that red and black sure does bring to mind a certain school

The frame is lookin' great!
Personally, I would probably go with the Vintage Air kit because I'm frugal that way

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 09-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #659
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
...I can buy a Vintage Air system and figure out how to put it in.....I like the vents that Corvette Jim sells and will be using them....Or I can buy an original system for the truck and use the dash vents....Best I can tell from the quotes I got is that the Vintage Air is roughly 800.00 cheaper than an original system...
John, the VA system would also function MUCH better than the original style, especially with the modern R134a refrigerant. While the OE system would be cool to have and keep the truck period correct, the VA system will be a better value in the long run. ONLY a pure 100% correct stock restoration make the OE system valuable in my opinion...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #660
Johns 66

Quote:
Hmmm that red and black sure does bring to mind a certain school

The frame is lookin' great!
Personally, I would probably go with the Vintage Air kit because I'm frugal that way
Haha ...I will be changing to Crimson...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
John, the VA system would also function MUCH better than the original style, especially with the modern R134a refrigerant. While the OE system would be cool to have and keep the truck period correct, the VA system will be a better value in the long run. ONLY a pure 100% correct stock restoration make the OE system valuable in my opinion...
I have kicked it around back and forth OE vs VA....so follow my thoughts...I know it may be hard...lol

I have been looking on FB marketplace, Craigslist, Ebay and pretty much every other place that I can find that sells old chevy trucks for 1 truck...a 66 C10 SWB, Fleet,BBW,Custom Cab,327 truck and lets just say I havent found one....I do know where one is at but he wont sell it because it has factory AC, PS, PB, Auto, 327........

I also talked with several folks who supposedly know and unless you have the build sheet or original service paperwork there is hardly anyway to tell if the truck came with PB, PS, AC etc....motors are different because of the numbers on them. Again Im not trying to deceive anyone about my truck....but AC was added by many dealers as an accessory...I know one person who has a NOS AC set up, again he wont let it go( Dont blame him)

I talked with a couple folks about original OE setups and found that all run R12 and have asked if the compressor and associated parts can be converted to R134a....IF they can be converted to R134a I am leaning that way.

I have purchased the center and outer vents from CorvetteJim here on the forum from his website coolc10, which btw are on sale because I like the stock look of it and while I understand the outside vents were never there I think it just helps cool and they look good as well.....and along with the original deluxe heater and AC controls I lean that way.

My "Plan" for my truck originally was to change the leaking rear main seals and drive it....Boy I missed that mark..lol especially when I saw the broke main cap bolts, and upside down pistons........

I can buy all original parts for what I want to do...Power Brakes, Power Steering ( they all leak from what Im told) AC etc....but the cost associated with "Original" outweighs function in my opinion....except the AC because of the look....and many things I am doing is based solely on looks...ie C60 grille, chromed sail panels, grille, park lamp bezels, horn ring, button etc....

I am changing the brakes to power because I was given a free booster and dual master cylinder, 5 lug discs because they were on sale as well as the rear axles.

I guess in hind sight the bolt fiasco was a blessing because it gave me time to really think about which way to go on the build and allow me to accumulate parts over a period of time without a big chunk leaving at one time.

All that said...lol If I can get the OE Ac in R134a I "think" that is the way I am going to go for no other reason than I think it will look better and hopefully cool....no doubt itll be better than no AC at all...lol

the journey continues.......................
2019 GMC AT4
Old 09-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #661
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

John,

I get your thought process on the AC. Here is what I think about the OE stuff going to R134a refrigerant...What compressor are you going to use? I have seen just about all of them can work with 134a, mostly just the fitting style for the charge ports and the type of oil is the main changes. The system could be converted to an orifice tube style system and you should really look at a parallel flow condenser for the system. Seems the size and type of condenser effects the system performance more with 134a.

As you said, any AC is better than no AC.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #662
pdxhall

I see many trucks with the vintage air system. Have you considered the Old Air brand?

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #663
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
John,

I get your thought process on the AC. Here is what I think about the OE stuff going to R134a refrigerant...What compressor are you going to use? I have seen just about all of them can work with 134a, mostly just the fitting style for the charge ports and the type of oil is the main changes. The system could be converted to an orifice tube style system and you should really look at a parallel flow condenser for the system. Seems the size and type of condenser effects the system performance more with 134a.

As you said, any AC is better than no AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I see many trucks with the vintage air system. Have you considered the Old Air brand?

Ok a lil decision has been made...well not so little..lol

I found a refurbished complete OE AC system....it has everything from changing to deluxe controls, all the brackets, down to the wiring. The compressor is a new/remanned unit that is R134a. All the parts are either reconditioned or new if they are consumable parts. I am also getting an under dash ashtray, which would be factory correct on AC addition...no I dont smoke just thought they are cool...again with the looks.....Boy if I wasnt so concerned about look....LOL but I digress and I am completing the inside with a 4 ways hazard/flasher switch.

Even though I will be rewiring my truck I am getting all the original wiring for the AC, 4 way flasher so my hopes are that it will make it a lil easier when I come to that part of it.

There are a couple of other things that i will be adding to my truck which includes a stereo system...I have been looking at Classic Auto Sound and the under seat speakers as well as kick panel speakers....I do have a dual updated center dash speaker that replaces the original...but still in the figuring out stage.....
I am also adding door jamb switches...my original thought was to put the small little door lights and activate them with the dome light when the doors were opened...BUT since I got my used/NOS Im having a hard time getting myself to drill holes in perfect doors......so now Im leaning to under dash lighting instead of the doors...I know there is some type lights that I can buy that are GM OE but think LED lights would work better.

I will check on the condensor you suggested to see if its possible.....so the journey continues.

Waiting on brake lines stuff....STILL.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 09-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #664
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Ok a lil decision has been made...well not so little..lol

I found a refurbished complete OE AC system....it has everything from changing to deluxe controls, all the brackets, down to the wiring. The compressor is a new/remanned unit that is R134a. All the parts are either reconditioned or new if they are consumable parts. I am also getting an under dash ashtray, which would be factory correct on AC addition...no I dont smoke just thought they are cool...again with the looks.....Boy if I wasnt so concerned about look....LOL but I digress and I am completing the inside with a 4 ways hazard/flasher switch.

Even though I will be rewiring my truck I am getting all the original wiring for the AC, 4 way flasher so my hopes are that it will make it a lil easier when I come to that part of it.

There are a couple of other things that i will be adding to my truck which includes a stereo system...I have been looking at Classic Auto Sound and the under seat speakers as well as kick panel speakers....I do have a dual updated center dash speaker that replaces the original...but still in the figuring out stage.....
I am also adding door jamb switches...my original thought was to put the small little door lights and activate them with the dome light when the doors were opened...BUT since I got my used/NOS Im having a hard time getting myself to drill holes in perfect doors......so now Im leaning to under dash lighting instead of the doors...I know there is some type lights that I can buy that are GM OE but think LED lights would work better.

I will check on the condensor you suggested to see if its possible.....so the journey continues.

Waiting on brake lines stuff....STILL.
Sounds like a good plan!

I thought the door jamb switches were mounted in the cab and when the door closes it presses the switch to turn off the lights? That is my plan anyway...if I am wrong, then I have been thinking wrong the entire time.

Still waiting on brake lines? Wonder how much of our build time is waiting on parts to arrive? HAHA
Old 09-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #665
Johns 66

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan!

I thought the door jamb switches were mounted in the cab and when the door closes it presses the switch to turn off the lights? That is my plan anyway...if I am wrong, then I have been thinking wrong the entire time.

Still waiting on brake lines? Wonder how much of our build time is waiting on parts to arrive? HAHA
Your are correct Andy...the actual door jamb switched are mounted to the door front pillar and are activated when the doors are opened and closed....I WAS going to put the actual lights in the doors but just cant bring myself to drill holes in the doors....same thing with the stereo speaker...just cant do it...lol

Yeah waiting on parts is a pain...Here is the funny thing...I bought stuff from the same company...one on Ebay and one I had to call...same company, same day etc....Ebay shipped and showed up...front lines.....rear lines I had to call...still waiting..lol
2019 GMC AT4
Old 09-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #666
roll_the_dice

I was wondering if you were putting the lights in the door after I wrote that. I think I am putting mine near the fresh air vents as footwell lighting.

That is crazy...same company ships faster on Ebay than direct phone call, but maybe the lines were backordered...which they should have told you about.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #667
cwcarpenter98

I put my courtesy light bulbs (got them from a Jeep Cherokee) under the dash. Can't see them when sitting in the seat, but they do a great job of lighting up the floorboard at night

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #668
Johns 66

Quote:
I put my courtesy light bulbs (got them from a Jeep Cherokee) under the dash. Can't see them when sitting in the seat, but they do a great job of lighting up the floorboard at night
Ill be doing this as well but I am going to add a switch where I can turn them off while the doors are open for things like car shows, working on it, cleaning the interior etc...mainly for car shows.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 09-24-2020, 08:00 PM   #669
Johns 66

So while I have been sitting here waiting on the brake lines to get here I been doing some window shopping.
First I looked at stereos.....I wanted a radio that looks original but has Bluetooth and USB....Goung with a dual center dash speaker, kick panel speakers, and 2 underseat speakers...more like lil subs. The radio is a USA-740 and the speakers are Kicker....whole system incliding amp will run 850.00

Next I looked at Snowden seats which I like....here are a couple pics I like...a variation of the 2.....waiting on a quote from them now.

Then I talked with tbe folks at Auto Custom Carpers...they are manufactured about 20 minutes from me. They are sending me some sample but Ill be going with charcoal gray.

Lastly I ordered my OE AC system with R134a compressor, vendor is checking on parallel condenser, and vents from Coolc10.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #670
roll_the_dice

Of all the pictures you texted me, you didn't text me the best one...I LOVE the last seat pictures...the plaid seats.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #671
Johns 66

Well brake lines FINALLY got here.
It amazes me when you call a vendor, and order a complete brake line kit from front to rear and then you actually get it only to find out that what you THOUGHT and was TOLD that it was a COMPLETE kit is not a complete kit......somehow a complete kit doesnt include brake lines from the rear end T to the rear wheels....go figure.

ANYWAYS....luckily Andy let me borrow his super slick double flaring tool and bender so I bought some line and made the rear end lines. They look pretty good, not perfect but they will for sure work.
Onw mo step in da process.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 09-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #672
roll_the_dice

Looks great John! Glad I could help...that is a big step!
Old 09-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #673
SCOTI

Quote:
x2! Very nice.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #674
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I like the seats.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:18 PM   #675
Johns 66

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
x2! Very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
I like the seats.
Thanks guys...after looking at the pics a friend realized the cailpers are on the wrong side....bleeder valve should be at the top...... Luckily it was caught by one of my friends cause I would have never got the bled.
2019 GMC AT4