The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
66 Stepside C X

Pertronix Install ( I know I know ) another one

I just recently purchased a 66 stepside with what looks like to be all original wire setup an described in Shaprs40 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=571916&page=5 (post #118) install of his HEI post. Can you please just walk me through one more time on the proper installation Process of the 12v wire. I am not installing an HEI, will just be installing pertronix coil and ignitor.

1) Remove old coil and unwrap the wires to firewall connection, and do the same down to the starter.

2) Remove the two wires the connect into the one connection on the firewall and put new 12v wire into that same connection.

do i then put anything new to the starter end? what wires are taped back together onto starter? this is really my only confusion. Also, I have also seen some post were people are running it to the ignition side over the engine? or is that on later c10 models?

Thank You for all the help and sorry for being such a rookie. Seems like sharps has my identical setup.

Thank You all for the help just want to make sure the truck doesnt burn down lol

Last edited by 66 Stepside C X; 09-21-2020 at 01:57 PM.
66 Stepside C X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Pertronix Install ( I know I know ) another one

Nothing to be confused about.
Remove the yellow wire and the resistant wire and replace them with a 12v new line at the connector.
Nothing gets hooked back up where the yellow wire was on the solenoid. Tape it all back up again and you’re done.

That’s how some people do it.
I preferred to leave the yellow and resistant alone and just tape up the ends real well. Then run a separate 12v line from an unfused spade on the fuse block. Those spades are key on
for power.
Then I’d put the old coil/bracket and distributor in a box and stash it under the seat. Carry them as a spare for when the new pertronix or hei crapped out 50 miles from nowhere. Easy to put back in if the wiring is still intact.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
jayoldschool

^^^I do it the same way. Leave old wire, out of way. Run new wire through firewall to switched 12v terminal on the fuse panel.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
66 Stepside C X

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=8004798

is this what i would be looking for? And would the location of this be located on the driver side not the passenger side like the other location?

Thank You Everyone
Old 09-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
geezer#99

If you mean the fuse box then just look under the dash.
Could be on either side.
The spade you want is the unfused ignition one.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #6
66 Stepside C X

Would this be the correct fuse area ?
And that wire will just draw 12v without doing anything else inside the fuse box ?
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #7
66 Stepside C X

Thank you all for the help again.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:13 PM   #8
geezer#99

There is a service charge! LOL!
It cost’s you a few pics of your truck.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #9
66 Stepside C X

Payment sent!
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2020, 11:19 PM   #10
66 Stepside C X

And the tip!
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2020, 11:54 PM   #11
dmjlambert

Wow, that is super duper, great truck.

I'm afraid the fuse panel pictures you gave link and picture for are for 67-72. The IGN UNFUSED connectors on the fuse panel are arranged differently and the fuse panel is different on your truck. But the connectors are there and labeled IGN UNFUSED. That is what you can use for coil power on a non-points type distributor.

I would disconnect old coil wire from starter R terminal and bulkhead connector; there's no point in having a powered wire laying around to potentially short to ground. If you find where it connects to the bulkhead connector, you can just replace it and get power from that position. I'm afraid I don't have detailed information, as I have a 1969 truck. I'm not sure if they used resistor wires in 60-66 or used regular wire with a ballast resistor.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:31 AM   #12
geezer#99

Nice truck!
Wheels look super.
I’ll mark it paid in full.
Tip appreciated.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #13
66 Stepside C X

Thank You everyone! I will take another look tonight after work and see if I can locate the fuse box. I’m currently dealing with the aftermarket autometer guages installed. At first I noticed the Voltage gauge gets pegged with the truck on. Then I noticed the light in the oil pressure gauge and temp gauge was very dim. I pulled out the old bulbs and replaced the temp and oil ( very night bright white led) then I noticed the Voltage gauge is not even have a bulb in it, or even a bulb socket. Shown in second picture above. Looks like PO hooked up power from
a yellow wire and then split the power for the bulbs into the three gauges. The strange thing is the bulbs will only light up when the metal socket part touches something else metal also the voltage gauge does have a wire for a bulb but it has a female crimp on to a male spade. Also they have a wire that’s just connected from the volt gauge to the oil pressure gauge and nothing else... maybe that’s supposed to be a ground..
So I am assuming the entire setup is not ground properly. Somehow while messing around with the bulbs I got the Voltage gauge to read proper Voltage. Not sure how. Again any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #14
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Stepside C X View Post
Thank You everyone! I will take another look tonight after work and see if I can locate the fuse box. I’m currently dealing with the aftermarket autometer guages installed. At first I noticed the Voltage gauge gets pegged with the truck on. Then I noticed the light in the oil pressure gauge and temp gauge was very dim. I pulled out the old bulbs and replaced the temp and oil ( very night bright white led) then I noticed the Voltage gauge is not even have a bulb in it, or even a bulb socket. Shown in second picture above. Looks like PO hooked up power from
a yellow wire and then split the power for the bulbs into the three gauges. The strange thing is the bulbs will only light up when the metal socket part touches something else metal also the voltage gauge does have a wire for a bulb but it has a female crimp on to a male spade. Also they have a wire that’s just connected from the volt gauge to the oil pressure gauge and nothing else... maybe that’s supposed to be a ground..
So I am assuming the entire setup is not ground properly. Somehow while messing around with the bulbs I got the Voltage gauge to read proper Voltage. Not sure how. Again any help is greatly appreciated.
Sounds like grounding is the issue.

I noticed you have a six cylinder. I learned the hard way that the pertronix coils are different for sixes. Their ohm readings are 3 0hms whereas the v-8s are 1.8 ohms. They sold me a six cylinder coil with my pertronix ignition for my corvette. I had to buy another coil. I was told that the sixes needed more resistance in order not to burn up the igniter in the Pertronix unit. It doesn't make any sense to me so you might want to research that.

Here's a ballast resistor in case you have one on your sharp looking 66. It's circled in red.

Name:  balllast.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  72.3 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #15
66 Stepside C X

Oh yes! made that mistake already, and sent back the V8 1.5 ohm for the 3.0 that is suggested for the 4 and 6 cylinder. I will also take a look for the resistor which is circled tonight. lots of little bugs, but so far its been a great truck. Ive already put about 1000 miles on it over the past month. Just hoping to get some reliability while maintaining a stock look with the pertronix set up. Even though it seems like some people love it and some people hate it. Thank You for the added guidance.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #16
66 Stepside C X

Can anybody verify what connection Prong is used for the firewall bulkhead connector On a 66. Seems like it changed styles after 66

I was going to purchase this part pictures above thank you all
Attached Images