The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #26
faribran

Re: Truck work shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70
Man, ya'll are making me jealous! (as my truck sits under the carport on jack stands and the wife complains about it)

Hey Glock, is your 30'x40' big enough for 2 projects at once? I want to make sure that when I build one, it will be big enough
build it as big as u can afford... never enuff room
faribran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:31 PM   #27
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Hey Glock, is your 30'x40' big enough for 2 projects at once? I want to make sure that when I build one, it will be big enough
Normally, yeah. I had the 70 4x4 on one side and an 81 dually on the other and still had plenty of room all the way around. But it is cluttered now. I need to either add on or get a shed to move some shelved into to store parts, and shop tools that don't get used alot like the english wheel and stuff.

Right now I have the 68's cab in there, and my wifes Harley is torn down while I paint it. I also park my truck in there at night now that the temps are well below 0. When is gets this cold, I leave the heater on with the thermostst all the way down, so it stays about 40 in there. It was -16 F when I left for work this morning

Like someone said before, it is never big enough.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 12-07-2005 at 10:35 PM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:40 AM   #28
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Mine was built by the previous owner who owned one of those truck campers that was pretty tall. So I have 11' cielings, one 10' door and one 7' door. Unfortunately the foot print is only 22' wide by 26' long. Its what I got and I'm making the most of it. Sorage is always a concern, I dont have much space around the sides with the trucks inside. So I'm using my overhead space as much as possible. I built a loft area above the shorter garage door. I'm building shelves along the walls about 7 or 8' up with support from the rafters. Bicycles hanging from the cieling using a pully system I got at the hardware store. I have a small table saw and radial arm saw. I'm building a shelf to mount the arm saw that will hinge on the side of the table saw. Then the whole deal will hang from the cieling like the bikes. I have a pull down stairs in the cieling for easy attic access. My work benches are mounted on a shelf that is the same hieght as the block foundation so I can move them back against the wall and also because I like to have the work surface higher than normal, less leaning, easier on the back and shoulders, plus more storage underneath. I have the walls insulated, the cieling will get done probably next year. The plastic on the cieling keeps the heat down and actually makes it look better than the open rafters. I use a portable propane heater that will warm it on our colder days (below zero) up to about 50F, which is comfortable with a sweatshirt. When the cieling is insulated, I'm sure it will be warmer, plus I just replaced the 10' door with a new insulated one. The other door is still the original POS.

If I were to build my own, it would be at least three cars wide and about 36' to 40' long, normal cieling hieght but a full attic space over the car area and open to the rafters in the shop area. Access to the attic by stairs. Hot water floor heating and electrical outlets everywhere.

It's the best I've ever had and it's what I'll likely have for the next decade or so. Beats the snot out of working in the back yard under a tree, which I've had to do in the past.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #29
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Here is my 40x60 shop

and here is a pic of the mess inside

Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:58 AM   #30
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Not mine , this would take up half my lot , but I like the looks of this one .( Got this off one of the Metal building site's )
Anyone got one of these ?
Attached Images

Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,

Last edited by Bill72BB; 12-08-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #31
paintpyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill72BB
Not mine , this would take up half my lot , but I like the looks of this one .( Got this off one of the Metal building site's )
Anyone got one of these ?
I hear ya Bill. 2 car garage just doesnt seem to cut after seein these.
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #32
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Damn, I have a single UK car sized garage that is at a stupid right angle to the drive so the only thing that you could get in it would be a little Morris Minor or some such with an incredible steering lock, the truck wouldn't fit in it anyway, neither would my daily driver trooper. I've spent today fitting new rear leaf springs/shackles/bushes to my Isuzu Trooper at a friends workshop, lucky bloke has a block built huge workshop with lots of toys.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #33
1969 C/K CST
A.K.A- Crummy

Didn't build it but it came with the house. Works alright, does have high ceilings. Upstairs-pouthouse.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2005, 07:56 AM   #34
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I just built a 30x40 metal shop this month. I went with 12 foot tall sidewalls. I insulated it and added a ridge vent too.

I went with two 10 foot tall, 12 foot wide roll up doors. The extra 2 feet width on the roll up doors didn't cost hardly any at all, and the extra 2 feet is so much easier to get in and out of.

I used one 3 foot walk in door on the front and a 4 foot walk in door on the back wall. The back wall door gives me flow through ventilation, and allows me to go out behind the shop to pee without offending the folks in the house.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:21 AM   #35
Chevy_Man
Tightwad

Well i took the bullet and order my building. I ordered me a 30x40 with 12 foot walls and 2 10x10 roll up doors and one 3' walk through door and insolation on the roof. I oredered it from Mueller... Think i got a pretty dang good deal too. Now i can't wait to start...now i got to start looking at lights for the thing and figure out what is best, any tips would help.....

Hey Tx Firefighter, You got any pics of that new shop?

thanks guys,

eric
Chevy_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:29 AM   #36
Inthuwind
Straight jacket required

I went with 6 8ft flourescents in mine and it's brighter than **** in there!!!!
3/5 static/ 12bolt rear 3:73
1979 Pontiac Trans Am
10th Anniversary/455/4spd
2011 H-D Street Glide - CAMMED n lowered
Dad always said,"Son, if you can't be good...be good at it."
Inthuwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #37
byrd
Union Electrician

A tip on the lights would be to use the 8' HO flourescent fixture and bulbs. They are more costly up front but use almost half the energy that the old single pins bulbs do. They are 96 watts per bulb and I put 10 of them in my step=dads garage which is 50x30 with the lights only used in the shop area about30x30 and the lighting is perfect, and very bright, you can't have too much light!! For the average joe who doesn't do electrical work on their own, I would reccomend you put up the plug in style 4" el cheapos at home depot and use the t-8 thin line bulb style. The fixtures are only like about $8 a piece and 2 bulbs will run you about $6 and they are 32 watts a piece. The best thing about the el cheapos is that anybody can put them up and you jusst plug them in and if they quit working they are so cheeap that you just throw them away and put up a new one. All that needs to be done for the el cheapos is have your electrician install plugs within 5' of where you want each light and try to do it so that you can get 2 light on one plug to be more cost effective with the electrical work needed. Just my .02 Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #38
Inthuwind
Straight jacket required

thats exactly what I used---good info BYRD
3/5 static/ 12bolt rear 3:73
1979 Pontiac Trans Am
10th Anniversary/455/4spd
2011 H-D Street Glide - CAMMED n lowered
Dad always said,"Son, if you can't be good...be good at it."
Inthuwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #39
hoser
Account Suspended

I used the 4' fixtures because they are 1/4 the cost of the 8' fixtures you can buy them on sale assembled ready to install for as little as 7.99 each including bulbs, I havent had one go bad so far in 9 years have only changed a few bulbs, I wired mine in with switches so only turn on the lights I need in the area I am working.

Make sure you know that most light fixtures are not design to last in the cold so if you want to run your lights below 60 degrees expect problems and failures unless you buy the cold weather balst or fixture.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #40
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Just what's attached to my house, but it has a 8' door and lots of
cool storage thanks to my loving wife, cabinets are from Lowe's
Attached Images

Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #41
dennislbrooks

very nice shops and vehicles above. 3rd bay on the right is my shop.
Attached Images

dennislbrooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #42
smbrouss70

Dennis, you have my 2 favorite vehicles... a chick magnet and a Vette!

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:59 PM   #43
chevybill

i have a 30 X 30 building with 10 feet walls, wooden structure with vinyl siding. I used old filament bulbs for lighting and homemade doors each is 10 feet tall and five feet wide and I have a pair of these doors on each end of the building (with casters on botom of doors) so I can pull a non running vehicle in with another if needed and I have a small pass thru door on the south side (side away from road). I would have built it 30 X 60 if I had the money.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #44
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
I used the 4' fixtures because they are 1/4 the cost of the 8' fixtures you can buy them on sale assembled ready to install for as little as 7.99 each including bulbs, I havent had one go bad so far in 9 years have only changed a few bulbs, I wired mine in with switches so only turn on the lights I need in the area I am working.

Make sure you know that most light fixtures are not design to last in the cold so if you want to run your lights below 60 degrees expect problems and failures unless you buy the cold weather balst or fixture.

The el cheapos I mentioned and the ones you used are a electronic ballast and are cold weather resistant, that is why they are so popular and the price of course. I have 10 of the 4' in my garage 24x30 with 10' ceilings and need a few more, and used them with the plugs for resale value(easy changeout) I'm an electrician by trade anyway,but I always try to keep things as simple as possible for the average person who doesn't do this work for a living. A lot of people can do home electrical work and it will work, but sadly most of the time most safety precautions are not applied as the installer doesn't know any better Randy
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
Old 12-12-2005, 11:02 PM   #45
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthuwind
thats exactly what I used---good info BYRD
Yeah the HO fixtures really pump the light out, and the best thing is that they are still cheaper to run than the 4' el cheapos pound for pound. They will last 5 to 8 times as long and the real savings is realized over that period which you can't really put your hand on it, but it is there. IIRC the 4' el cheapo uses .83 amps/120 volts and puts out 64 watts of light, while the8'
HO uses 1.25/120 volts and outs out 188 watts of light. WOW That is your savings, your eyes too!!! lol The 4' is .0129 amps per watt, and the 8' HO is .0066 per watt. That is better than half, but the up front cost at $45 per HO fixture and $5 per bulb it can get costly, but is well worth in my opinion. Randy
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-12-2005, 11:17 PM   #46
rkarr

Quote:
Dennis, you have my 2 favorite vehicles... a chick magnet and a Vette!
My thoughts exactly!!!
Shortened frame for SWB, ECE 4-6 drop. ECE SS tank. All new ECE suspension. Rebuilt 12 bolt 3:73 with Eaton Posi. Front and rear disc brakes. Ramjet 350 and 700r-4 trans.
20" Centerline wheels with Kumho 295/45/20 tires (I hope they fit).
Progress pics: http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uck/?start=all
----------------
Seriously... It's nothing a large dose of cash can't fix... Right? After all, I can't take it with me when I go... Just gotta have enough to get there!!!
rkarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:00 AM   #47
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Have a 3 car attached and a separate 1000 sq ft detached garage. It is a full framed, insulated and finished to match the house. No heat yet though. It will hold two fullsize trucks and a suburban with pleny of room for tools.

CoolTool Refrigerator
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #48
Rod

Does the fridge lock?
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #49
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
Does the fridge lock?
No, those are faux locks.

Check out Too Cool refrigerator kits. http://www.toocoolkits.com/
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #50
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

We're doing the electrical in my shop right now. It's a 30x40 with 12 foot ceilings. Were using eight- 8 foot flourescent fixtures for main shop lighting, secured to the trusses, with more 8 footers over each of the two workbenches suspended by chain down to 8 foot off the ground. We're switching the workbench lights seperately, so I don't have to have them on all the time, just when doing intricate work at the benches.

I'm hoping it will be light enough. It's been spendy, but my wife keeps pushing me to do it once and never be sorry later. The fixtures are pretty high each, around 80 dollars. I hope the extra cost of the good lights up front pays off in the long run with longevity.