The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2002, 05:54 PM   #26
XXL
Señor Member

All of you crooning about the good ole days of shaft radios... you'd better come rescue my dash. In fact, I've got 2-- one on the current cab and one on the new, and they're both clean uncut dashes, but that's not what it'll look like when I'm done with it... I'm sharpening my chainsaw blade now.

Here's the deal...

1) (most of) these trucks aren't '67 Z-28's and they never will be. They're 30+ year old trucks, and that's it.

2) if you don't subscribe to #1 above, remember, everybody who hacks their dash makes your uncut dashes that much more valuable.

3) it's your truck. Do what you want with it. Heck, paint it lime green with pink spots and hang a disco ball from the mirror if you want (hey... that sounds kind of cool ).

4) there is no #4.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 06:01 PM   #27
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Have you ever tried to open the glove box while in traffic? You better REALLY want in there...and you know you'll want to mess with it while driving...just liek no one pulls over when there cell phone rings...
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:14 PM   #28
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

If you want to cut it then cut it but make sure you do a very good job doing it. If you dont want to cut it then dont. The fact is these trucks will not lose value if the dash is cut(as long as it is not mangled) for a stereo. If you are going to return the entire truck to stock setup some day then there may be concern for not cutting it but other then that it really doesnt matter. It would only be for personal concerns and personal choice in the matter.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:44 PM   #29
GMC_Aaron

Thanks for all of the input guys. My tunes are very important to me. I bought the truck which has a Pioneer cassette deck in it now, but the only problem is that I have a cd collection and not a cassette collection. I just recently took my truck on a fishing trip 6 hours each way and I spent 3 nights making cassettes; what a drag. I definitely want a cd player in it. I agree that personal preference is the most important concept. I'm not looking to keep my truck totally original. I think that in this case, this will be the only thing that I will make me stray away from originality. Here's my e-mail for any pics or suggestions. i know Mikes '67 has an idea. motostud_5@netzero.net
GMC_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:36 PM   #30
Zkast
Account Suspended

If you dont want to cut the dash (which I did and would do again) then you can maybe try one of these units? Its also a cd changer controller. From EarlyClassics.com
http://www.earlyclassic.com/classicsounds.html

Custom Autosound AM/FM Radio CD Controller
This radio looks like an analog (manual dial) pushbutton radio. Turn it on and it's a digital AM/FM CD changer controller. You get the best of both worlds, yesterday's cosmetics with today's sound.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:46 PM   #31
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

When I faced the same enigma I decided to go with a JVC AM/FM cassette deck that fit in the original three holes. It's a high power unit (23 watts X 4), and as loud as my truck is you'ld never discern between the quality of a compact disc versus a cassette tape. If you decide to cut the dash, do it as clean as possible, and save the cutouts. You might want to weld them back in someday.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:34 PM   #32
toms68cst

Quote:
Originally posted by Slammed67
Will you ever go back to an AM radio? Would you ever go back to front drum brakes? Would you ever go back to bias-ply tires?
Yes,Yes, and dare I say YES!

There are some good alernatives to cutting your dash.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:48 PM   #33
dion
72 Cheyenne

It's your truck so do what you want but....I plan on putting a CD player in my truck but I'm putting it under the seat or in the glove. Having a stereo in your dash just invites theft plus I would never cut my original dash.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 07:59 AM   #34
72'BBGMCSGCC

I agree with Dion, I'm going to put a AM FM CD with clock in the glove compartment and keep the origional AM radio for origionality.
72'BBGMCSGCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:02 AM   #35
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Uh oh

I guess that I'm REALLY in trouble since I not only cut out my dash for a cd player, (which I also plan to do with my '67), but I also welded shut my gas filler hole and stake pockets, and cut a couple of holes in the firewall for fuel injection wiring!!

Man, go ahead and cut it! I don't give a damn about originality. It's all about personal flavor. I NEVER plan on selling either of my trucks, so resale value is of no concern to me. What is the point of leaving the stock am radio in the stock location and mounting a cd player elsewhere? It just adds to the clutter. I put it in the dash for 1)looks 2)ease of changing cds and radio stations 3) I can actually see the clock (a pretty useful feature)

Do what you want to make YOUR truck fit YOUR needs and YOUR style.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:19 AM   #36
Desert Rat

I hate to put it like this its only a truck not a Boss Mustang where theres 500 left.just remember cut smaller and then file to size,easy to make bigger hard to make smaller,i say cut it unless its some rare 72 Cheyenne Super shorty big block truck-then spend $200 and put in a factory am/fm and disc changer under seat.you can always replaces dashes to,or even upgrade to AC dash,myself i wont cut anymore the old 2 knob Alpines fit great,and hook to CD changer with remote.i prefer to fill hole with a radio delete deters thieves.cut doors piss me off though.i bought a sweet truck some ahole torched holes in kick panel area for small speakers wish i coulda lit that torch up his ass.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:22 AM   #37
BadAzz70PU
Long Lost Member

Its your truck, do what you want.

Here is a pic of mine:

its kinda blurry but you get the idea.
Web Site
1995 Eclipse GSX
-15.46 @ 88mph (stock, not for long)
College student at Clemson (SC)
Home in Langhorne Pa
BadAzz70PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:22 PM   #38
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

The only question I saw in your post was:

Quote:
Would these items hurt the value of my truck too much?
The answer to that question depends on your truck. If it's an fully restored, all original, numbers matching truck, then yes, it would hurt the value. In fact, just putting in a non-original radio without cutting the dash would hurt the value. If that's not the case, then it probably won't effect the value.

As a rule-of-thumb, if you have to ask, then it's probably better to not do it. When your willing and ready to do it, you won't have to ask.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:42 PM   #39
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

I mounted it under the dash on my 71. I knew that I would sell it as stock within a couple of years.

On the other hand my 56 will have very few stock pieces left in it.
I plan to keep it! It's mine! I'm building it the way I want it.

Also they do make patch panels for the radios now, so there must be a demand for them. Just food for thought.

Do what you like!

Denny
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:52 PM   #40
Tuck

I bought the sweetist kit from southern Kentucky classics.

It is a am fm radio that looks just like the original but when you turn it on it has the LED readout behind it. way cool

it also has a 6 disc cd player for under the seat.

great kit highly recommend it.

one cable cd ihookup and has radio face controls.

To get the factory am look you dont get the casette
Tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:58 PM   #41
Mudder

Cut it!

Enjoy your tunes. Do a neat job!
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:16 PM   #42
'72 Cheyenne Super

I've got two ways of looking at this:

1) If it's your daily driver, and you're gonna spend alot of time in it, cut it if you want to. It makes driving that much more enjoyable when you have decent tunes to listen to.

2) If it's not your daily driver, and just a toy, leave it uncut. You'll wish later that you had. My '72, with A/C dash, is cut for a CD player. It was OK when I drove it daily, but now that it sits most of the time, and only driven when I get the urge, I wish it was still stock (and had a factory AM/FM radio in it!).

When I finally get serious about restoring it (and find the time and space to do it!), I've got a pristine, uncut A/C dash in storage that I salvaged out of a truck a buddy parted out. It'll go into mine then, with a factory radio.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:10 PM   #43
WB72
Before and After

Cut the dash ! NO don't cut it!

My truck is not a daily driver, but when I get to drive it, I gotta have my music! If you do a neat job it will be worth having a modern stereo rather than a factory dash. If you were to buy a new vehicle, would you just want a radio, or would you want a CD/Cassette player? Just enjoy being in your truck, I know I can't wait to drive mine. Now, if my truck was going to be in shows or be sold as a ALL NUMBERS MATCH truck, I wouldn't do it.

66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 05:13 PM   #44
69mychevy
yes i did post something

gmc aaron did u decide yet?
Old 08-01-2002, 05:31 PM   #45
ckhd

I don't believe in cutting, but... It is YOURS. Do what YOU think is best.

If you decide to cut the dash, PLEASE take your time, plan it out, do it carefully. I can stand a cut dash, even appreciate it if it's done right, but I've seen WAY too many that look like they were cut with a splitting maul.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 05:49 PM   #46
'72 Cheyenne Super

Just a quick suggestion if you do decide to cut it:

A DIN size CD player will not completely cover the recessed knob holes after you slide it into the cut opening (at least it didn't with the CD unit I used). What I did was take a piece of 1/8" thick black ABS plastic sheet (textured on one side, smooth on the other) and cut a trim bezel that filled the whole recess where the radio mounts. I radiused the corners so it fit nice in the bottom of the recess, then installed the radio. You can find ABS plastic sheet at any plastic supply house, and it comes in all different colors if you prefer something other than black.
The other plan I had in the back of my head, and in some CAD drawings, was to machine an aluminum trim bezel to fill the recess, and engrave 'Chevrolet' in period-correct script across the top. Haven't gotten around to it, yet. Got too many other projects going on!

If I get an opportunity tomorrow, I'll snap a pic or two of it and post it on my Picturetrail homepage.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:07 PM   #47
68 with 350 TPI

Noooooooooooo!

NO!

NO!

DO NOT DO IT!

IT will never be the same

I just got a nice(UN CUT) AC dash to replace the one that is in my truck.

Did you know part of the dash is welded in place?

Please put it in the glove box,under the dash, or somewhere else other than cutting up a perfectly good dash.

Or get one of the newer radios that fit in the same holes as the factory one.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:22 PM   #48
palallin

The most often hear music in my truck is the rumble of my 327 Of course, unless the engine is off, it's darn near impossible to hear anything else
Old 08-01-2002, 07:54 PM   #49
6869704X4

You dont have enough ideas yet so here is two more.
Headliner with built in tunes. Or....
Make a plate in the same shape as the dash bezel and glove box cover. Looks like it belongs in there. Except that I screwed it up and had to make another. And only had enough left to make a square corner plate. I'll make another one day.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2002, 10:13 PM   #50
Desert Rat

I say just get a torch and cut the MFer its only a truck.if it was a Hemi Cuda NO,but its a pickup truck,if you question yourself then youll probably regret it,buy one of those underdash mount kits,if you cut cut smaller than needed then file a bit at a time for a nice neat tight fit.dont wanna see no radio knob holes.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote