The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #51
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Crash's 72 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Yesterday I installed the cross members and finished up some painting.

I started thinking about fuel system needs, and I have a question. The part I have pictured below has a line that runs from it to towards the rear of the truck alongside the fuel supply line.. I assumed it was the fuel return line, but after thinking about it, I don’t see how it could be since it comes of the top of the air manifold. So here is the first of many stupid questions.. What is it?

Thanks…. And I hope everyone is having a happy Christmas.
Your engine won't have a return line and that plastic line at the top front of the intake you won't need either. You can make or buy a block off plate.
Merry Christmas!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #52
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Your engine won't have a return line and that plastic line at the top front of the intake you won't need either. You can make or buy a block off plate.
Merry Christmas!
Thanks Mike.. Where would you buy such a plate?

Merry Christmas to you as well....

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #53
Crash_OK

Today I started by installing the shocks.

Worked some more on the Brake lines… still debating if I should just order a complete stainless kit.

Pulled the valve covers off of the 5.3 to clean and paint. It was super clean inside…

Then I decide to degrease and power wash my shop gear… hopefully I am out of the greasy part of the build…

Tomorrow, I will start taping off the engine for priming and painting. Then I might start on the wiring harness..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 12-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #54
Crash_OK

Today, I primed and painted the 5.3L.

Not sure what I will do tomorrow, I am thinking about building a rolling cradle for the cab. I ordered some parts from advanced adapters to connect the 4L60e to the NP205.. I got a e-mail from them saying they will not ship until after the 1st of the year. That kinda slows down my progress...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 12-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #55
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJs69CST View Post
That motor looks sweet!!
Thanks.... I am getting a little closer each day....

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 12-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #56
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Thanks Mike.. Where would you buy such a plate?

Merry Christmas to you as well....
Mark, I am probably just going to make a block off plate. I will make an extra for you if I do.

Quote:
Worked some more on the Brake lines… still debating if I should just order a complete stainless kit.
What makes start thinking about stainless lines? It looks like you already have the oem style installed? or did you bend them yourself? If you do buy some, I used Inline tube they look good but don't fit the way I expected.

Great work on the engine paint. I thought about painting mine orange too but that school to the north and to the south has me hating orange so much I just painted the block black. I hope to build some custom valve covers some day, so I didn't paint them.
Those shocks look great too!

Last edited by mcbassin; 12-26-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #57
Crash_OK

Quote:
Mark, I am probably just going to make a block off plate. I will make an extra for you if I do.

What makes start thinking about stainless lines? It looks like you already have the oem style installed? or did you bend them yourself? If you do buy some, I used Inline tube they look good but don't fit the way I expected.

Great work on the engine paint. I thought about painting mine orange too but that school to the north and to the south has me hating orange so much I just painted the block black. I hope to build some custom valve covers some day, so I didn't paint them.
Mike,

That would be great on the plate...

I bent all the lines myself (at one time I was good at bending tubing).. but I am not sure it is what I am looking for...

The flash on the camera makes the paint look a little orange... it is not.. it is a dark red... I am with you on the orange... never...

I am going to need to have the transmission to transfer case adapter machined a little.. Nothing to difficult.. Is that something you could help me with? If not do you know of a good machine shop?

Thanks... have a great day..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 12-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #58
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Mike,

That would be great on the plate...

I bent all the lines myself (at one time I was good at bending tubing).. but I am not sure it is what I am looking for...

The flash on the camera makes the paint look a little orange... it is not.. it is a dark red... I am with you on the orange... never...

I am going to need to have the transmission to transfer case adapter machined a little.. Nothing to difficult.. Is that something you could help me with? If not do you know of a good machine shop?

Thanks... have a great day..
Mark,
If you can get a drawing of the part you want, I bet I can take care of you. I was going to ask about your tranny. It's a 2wd model right? You may be better off buying a 4x4 model? I think it may be cheaper than having the 2wd model modified? not too sure about that one. I thought the 4x4 has a different output shaft?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #59
Crash_OK

Quote:
Mark,
If you can get a drawing of the part you want, I bet I can take care of you. I was going to ask about your tranny. It's a 2wd model right? You may be better off buying a 4x4 model? I think it may be cheaper than having the 2wd model modified? not too sure about that one. I thought the 4x4 has a different output shaft?

Mike..

Yes mine is a 2wd.. it really doesn’t make a difference. I have to change the rear shaft in the transmission to get the correct length of shaft and spline count… I can do that without much problem. I have ordered the correct tail shaft and adapters need for this swap. The original factory adapter that fits between the transmission and the transfer case has to have .625 machined off of the face of it. See the link below (Bottom of 2nd page in link):
http://www.advanceadapters.com/downloads/50-0405.pdf
I think I could use some cut off wheels and get it cut down, but I am not sure. If it is something you think I can help me with I will put together some pictures and drawings and then maybe come and met you to show you exactly what I need.

Thanks..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 12-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #60
Crash_OK

Here is a picture of the problem. (I got this picture from one of Thealiens threads..) Basically the material above the red arrow needs to be removed to allow the aluminum adapter to mount up to the original adapter.

Hope that makes a little more sense…

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #61
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Here is a picture of the problem. (I got this picture from one of Thealiens threads..) Basically the material above the red arrow needs to be removed to allow the aluminum adapter to mount up to the original adapter.

Hope that makes a little more sense…
I was going to tell you to touch base with thealien, looks like you're way ahead of me. Yes, from the picture it looks pretty straight forward. Just send me a pm next time you head back to the city you can drop by or meet me and I'll take care of it.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #62
Crash_OK

Quote:
I was going to tell you to touch base with thealien, looks like you're way ahead of me. Yes, from the picture it looks pretty straight forward. Just send me a pm next time you head back to the city you can drop by or meet me and I'll take care of it.
Sounds great Mike... I will wait until I get the adapter in and them bring them both.

Have a great evening...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #63
Crash_OK

Tuesday I worked on a cradle for the cab.

All I need now is some wheels…

Next I decide to remove the back glass. Found surface rust, should be ok…

However, after tilting the cab on it’s end I discovered more rust..

Not sure what to do.. I found a 72 C20 with what the owner called “rust free” cab, doors, and front clip. I went and looked at it.. it is in much better shape than my cab, doors, and fenders… but it isn’t rust free.. it will need outer rockers and cab corners.. He is asking $950 for the truck.. (he says I can get a title for it if I want) The truck is all original with 63000 miles. No bed, 350 4 bolt, TH400.. The motor has had the heads and carb rebuilt, but the exhaust cam lobe on the 1st cyl. is bad. The problem is I don’t need a ľ ton chassis, motor, transmission, rear end or suspension.. The owner is a really nice guy and very knowledgeable on classic trucks (he owns a shop that deals in parts and repair of classic trucks). He feels like I could part the truck out and have very little in the cab. I’m, not sure.

So I guess I will need to decide over the next few days if I will try to repair this cab or get a different one..

I am open to ideas that any of you may have….

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #64
Crash_OK

Today I installed a set of wheels on the cab cradle..

I have a great looking cradle… but a really bad looking cab..lol

After that I installed a new water pump on the 5.3

Finished up by degreasing the NP205. Getting it ready for paint.

Still trying to decide on what I should do about a cab….

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 12-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #65
mcbassin
Still Learning

Mark,
I like the cab dolly! Too bad about the rust. It looks very similar to the cab I'm about to start on in the next week or so. I have a pretty "rust free" cab HERE that has a shaved drip rail and firewall if you're into that look/style. I bought it because it had very little rust. But my build took a turn like these things seem to do. More than likely, I will sell it if I think I can fix the rusty one. I have thought about just welding a new drip rail on it but can't find one anywhere.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #66
Crash_OK

Quote:
Mark,
I like the cab dolly! Too bad about the rust. It looks very similar to the cab I'm about to start on in the next week or so. I have a pretty "rust free" cab HERE that has a shaved drip rail and firewall if you're into that look/style. I bought it because it had very little rust. But my build took a turn like these things seem to do. More than likely, I will sell it if I think I can fix the rusty one. I have thought about just welding a new drip rail on it but can't find one anywhere.
Mike..

I love the shaved firewall... not so sure about the shaved drip rails...

So if I decided to fix the cab I have, where would I start.. I was thinking that I should start with replacing the front and rear cab supports first and then work on the floorboard and work my way out to the rockers.. but I really don’t have any idea.. I was just thinking.. How would you approach it?

Thanks….

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #67
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Mike..

I love the shaved firewall... not so sure about the shaved drip rails...

So if I decided to fix the cab I have, where would I start.. I was thinking that I should start with replacing the front and rear cab supports first and then work on the floorboard and work my way out to the rockers.. but I really don’t have any idea.. I was just thinking.. How would you approach it?

Thanks….
Mark, I am going to follow the lead of one of favorite builds on here for rust repair/removal. One side at a time and not order patch panels until I know what all pieces I need. It will take some time for sure. But I don't fish much this time of year so goal is to have my new cab in primer by Febuary. Follow the links below is probably the single most detailed build on this board. Bruce88 did a great job. Fair warning, you might spend some time going through his build
HERE
MORE
MORE
AND MORE
Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #68
Crash_OK

Quote:
Mark, I am going to follow the lead of one of favorite builds on here for rust repair/removal. One side at a time and not order patch panels until I know what all pieces I need. It will take some time for sure. But I don't fish much this time of year so goal is to have my new cab in primer by Febuary. Follow the links below is probably the single most detailed build on this board. Bruce88 did a great job. Fair warning, you might spend some time going through his build
HERE
MORE
MORE
AND MORE

Thanks Mike. I have actual read all of his thread before.. but I had forgot about the cab repair he did.. Great work by Bruce88.. I think I am going to try and repair my cab.. I think if I take my time, and not get into a hurry I might be able to do it…. I might have to have you come help me.. lol.. My shop is about 100 yards from Lake Eufaula.. so we could get some fishing in as well….

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 01-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #69
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Thanks Mike. I have actual read all of his thread before.. but I had forgot about the cab repair he did.. Great work by Bruce88.. I think I am going to try and repair my cab.. I think if I take my time, and not get into a hurry I might be able to do it…. I might have to have you come help me.. lol.. My shop is about 100 yards from Lake Eufaula.. so we could get some fishing in as well….
Heck yeah! that's what I'm talking about. I like that attitude. Yep, Bruce is a stud when it comes to a restoration. I would like to have his and many other's on here budget. I have to wait till I get funds for most phases of my build.

I am about to start hacking on my new cab as soon as I get it blasted/cleaned up. It will be the most rust I have tackled on one of these, but way less than many I have seen.

We usually fish Eufaula at least 2 times a year. My buddy has a cabin over by Duchess. What part of the lake are you located? Fishing is kinda slow this time of year but I would like to stop by when it gets a little warmer. I can swing by and help you then.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #70
Crash_OK

Quote:
Heck yeah! that's what I'm talking about. I like that attitude. Yep, Bruce is a stud when it comes to a restoration. I would like to have his and many other's on here budget. I have to wait till I get funds for most phases of my build.

I am about to start hacking on my new cab as soon as I get it blasted/cleaned up. It will be the most rust I have tackled on one of these, but way less than many I have seen.

We usually fish Eufaula at least 2 times a year. My buddy has a cabin over by Duchess. What part of the lake are you located? Fishing is kinda slow this time of year but I would like to stop by when it gets a little warmer. I can swing by and help you then.

We are over on the South East part of the Lake.. Longtown, near No. 9 marina...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #71
Crash_OK

Well, I haven’t updated in a few days. So here we go.. Friday I Primed

and then Painted the NP 205.

Then I installed the alt. and PS pump bracket

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 01-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #72
Crash_OK

Saturday I started by installing new brake hoses on the front…

One of the tabs on the manual locking hubs was broke.. The hub on the left has the broken aluminum tab …

I thought about attempting to fix the broken tab by drilling where the old tab was and then installing a cold roll pin.

However, I found a really good deal on a new set of hubs on ebay.. the box was water damaged, but the hubs were new….

To my surprise the new hubs were of a different design.. they now use a cold roll pin instead of the aluminum tab.

All installed…

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #73
Crash_OK

Today started off with cleaning up the shop… Then I decided to look over the radiator I removed from the truck. I did not take before pictures but about half of the radiator was caked with sand. I spent about an hour with a small pick and the water hose cleaning it up.

Turns out to be a very nice 4 core radiator… Not sure if it is original.. it might be, not sure how to deal… It could be the radiator that matched the 402 radiator support?

Then I decide to start on the 4L60e… I need to replace the tail shaft with a special shaft from advanced adapters. This shaft will make the 4l60e look like a TH350 4x4 tail shaft. In addition I will be installing a short adapter to the end of the 4L60e to convert it to the 4 bolt pattern of the TH350. Hopefully I will get the parts I need before Friday….

The transmission was very clean inside… very. very little clutch material in the pan. Not bad for 80K miles..

I won’t tear it down an farther until I get the parts in.. Besides.. I need to find a Torx T50 Plus to remove the bell housing bolts… Hopefully I can find one in OKC somewhere this week.

I also ordered a set of the Dirty Dingo 4x4 Slider motor mount plates… They are designed for 1967-1972 4x4…

After I get the motor mount plates and the parts from Advanced Adapters, I will started the process of getting the engine, transmission, and transfer case mounted..

I guess I should start putting some of the stuff I am not going to use on Craigslist or ebay.. 350 motor with headers, Holly 650 double pumper, like new starter, TH350 4x4 transmission.. also a 4” rear block lift kit that was sent to me by mistake…

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #74
mcbassin
Still Learning

That Dirty Dingo setup looks like it will work great. Nice score on the hubs too. Nothing but high quality parts on this project. Looking forward to updates.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #75
Crash_OK

Quote:
That Dirty Dingo setup looks like it will work great. Nice score on the hubs too. Nothing but high quality parts on this project. Looking forward to updates.

Thanks Mike... Hopefully my transmission parts will get here before the weekend and I can get it finished. After that I will work with you on the on getting the Transmission to Transfer case adapter cut down... Will it take long to machine it down after I get it to you?

Have a good evening.

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB