The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
jeffahart

A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

I finally had some time to take a good look at the Hickey Enterprises worm drive that's been relegated to the corner of my garage since my folks dropped it off on Thanksgiving weekend. Been busy! I hooked the motor to a battery and it winds both directions, nice and strong motor, but it pops out of gear easily though... not sure what's up with that.

I will drain oils and clean it up; then if it seems fit for duty, I will begin the bumper build.

Any how, here's some pics and my thoughts. Any input is welcome, especially if you have some hands on with one.

I initially was going to pick up a hydraulic winch, I like them. Then this came up and I jumped on it. I like it because it's period correct.

I weighed it, it dresses out at 120lbs with cable mount iron and oil, not bad!
Name:  20160216_173504.jpg
Views: 2941
Size:  41.0 KB

The original mounting flat iron on front and rear angle iron is 5/16 and I don't dig that huge chop around the case on the flat iron.
Name:  20160216_174131.jpg
Views: 2268
Size:  33.0 KB

The angle iron is cut at both mounting ends, I don't really dig that either.
Name:  20160216_174230.jpg
Views: 2275
Size:  20.3 KB

Looks like you can rotate the gearbox plate, so plug can be worm down or worm up mount. They have it setup for worm on top. I will keep it that way.
It looks like any way you mount it is OK, worm up, worm down, over drum pull, under drum pull.
Name:  20160216_174357.jpg
Views: 2323
Size:  36.2 KB

See the other side the Hickey Enterprises verbiage is upside down!
Name:  20160216_174435.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  25.2 KB
Old 02-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
BLT gmc

Re: A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

My mounts on my hickey worm-drive has the same exact cuts as yours. I suspect they were made that way. Good luck, Bruce
Posted via Mobile Device
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
jeffahart

Hey Bruce! How are you?

Yea, I may use the brackets not sure yet, those notches may be why they used 5/16. I plan to get the thing hanging on the front end then study it a bit to decide on mounting and my bumper design. I'm very happy with the winch(Thanks by the way!)

I just ordered a compact solenoid and controller from Pierce. Pierce answers the phone and have good people to talk too!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #4
dazza

Hey Jeff, I was just doing a search because I'm in the middle of finally mounting a sidewinder and saw your post. I have one of the worm gears as well. I've only seen one other member here with one of these besides myself... and now you. I'm sure there must be a few others.

I actually restored mine a few years back and just now finishing the truck restore. I've been going back and forth on which to install (truck had the worm gear on it when I bought it) but have decided to hook up the sidewinder (restored it) for now.

All my pictures of when I tore it down are at home. I have quite a few if you need to see anything, it will just be a few days until I'm back there.

For now here's a post of it from back then (damn, just over 5 yrs ago!).
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
jeffahart

Hi Dazza,

I read your post on the worm hickey, I actually read it a few weeks ago too when trying to dig up mounting information. You did a nice job cleaning it up, makes me want to polish mine too, because I will definitely mount it up front and high. I guess the sidewinder was the answer for the obnoxious configuration of the worm gear winch. But, the worm gear design lives on and I know it's a robust design. I actually know nothing of the sidewinder, I've never owned one or know anyone with one; and I generally like hydraulic winches and over PTO too.

The only problem with this winch is mounting. I've seen the under mounts that have it hanging down real low. How can you use the winch if it's the low hanging fruit stuck in the muck? Although I may go that route just leery of mounting it like that. So in the next couple weeks I'll evaluate the thing and verify that it's serviceable and then bolt on the front and then study where it might best fit then fab a bumper around it.

It's that darned transfer case that sticks out. Most build bumpers so the roller fairleads stick out even with the transfer case(when the winch is mounted high with the transfer on top). But when I build my bumper the hawse will be built into the bumper. So, a mount configuration like below will have the transfer sticking out like a battering ram!

BLT gmc, who also posted, is who I got the winch from. He made me a great deal. He has one also and is planning to mount some day.

Anyhow, I'll be working on the conundrum over the next few weeks. Any info or feedback you have is appreciated.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
BLT gmc

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421030

This should show a complete rebuild of the worm drive winch in it's Ramsey clothes. The same except for the solenoids. Page three for the money shot.

Jeff, The cable should come through your factory bumper. Usually, the fairleads are mounted right where the licenses used to be. Is this what you are considering to low? In your first picture, the winch mount exactly like that between the frame rails. Motor on the drivers side.

This is my winch I bought from Blazerman.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=665977

Look at the original advertisement. The mount is attached to the bottom frame rail (I believe). I believe this picture, in the advertisement, is looking down from on top with the radiator support removed. See how the cable goes through the factory bumper. The motor and worm drive are on top and between the frame rails. There is no room for the Ramsey solenoid pack, The Hickey winch placed the pack inside the engine compartment. Of course this is pre-Sidewinder, but at its time this was the only winch available that allowed the use of the factory bumper.

Take care, Bruce

PS, I think these winch are few and far between, especially here in the Plains.

Last edited by BLT gmc; 02-19-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
BLT gmc

I hope you enjoy the winch and use it. First dibs if you don't. HaHa. Bruce
Old 02-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT gmc View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421030

This should show a complete rebuild of the worm drive winch in it's Ramsey clothes. The same except for the solenoids. Page three for the money shot.

Jeff, The cable should come through your factory bumper. Usually, the fairleads are mounted right where the licenses used to be. Is this what you are considering to low?

Take care, Bruce
Thanks for that post. I'm hoping to just clean the internals up from access cover, and maybe replace seals. That's my hope anyhow. Even an abused winch like that with stripped threads and such still had good gears.

Yes, the winch line coming through the bumper with the worm on top. Looks like it hangs down low. What do you think. But, you do get the added benefit of not having a huge bumper sticking out front to house the winch. The choice of tucking the winch under and behind the bumper vs up high and hanging off the front is what I'm deciding. I'm hesitant to cut into my front bumper as well, because it is the original. If I go under mount I might buy a second bumper and store my original. If I have the skid plate like you I would probably just mount it and call it a day.

Once I get it on the truck it will hopefully give me some perspective. Looking at it sitting there... it looks really BIG!

Most likely my mounting and bumper will be a cross between a Duce and half and an old Power Wagon winch bumpers. I'll just have to figure a clever way to protect or bury that transfer case!

I love a winch on the front of a truck. Very happy!
Old 02-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
jeffahart

That first pic in your correspondence with blazerman is great.

Also,
In case you guys don't have this. Here's some owners manuals for Desert Dynamics and Thor. Go to bottom of page to discontinued items pdf

http://www.piercesales.com/manuals-and-diagrams/
Old 02-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
BLT gmc

Yes, there is a down side to cutting the bumper. Mine are painted(white) and would be easy to repair the hole as it is in a fairly flat area (you can keep the hole piece also). I can send pics and dimensions of the skid plate if that is what it comes down to. I did print off an owners manual from your link. I like the wiring section in the Desert Dynamics one. I think it will be cool to have a fully functional winch behind a stock bumper, not really noticeable to the untrained eye. I don't think there is going to be a lot of winch hanging out below. I believe it will only have a marginal affect your approach angle (coming from a farmer in the Plains). Bruce

Last edited by BLT gmc; 02-19-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
jeffahart

Thanks Bruce!

Man, that's a great offer. Do you think you might be able to put the skid on it's side onto a piece of paper and scribe the outline along with the dimensions, and mail it? I could have a shop repo it for me. My fab skills, by the way, are cutting and tacking. I can do some minor non structural welding, but I have to take my stuff to a shop for a good heliarc weld. The winch already has the mounts, not sure why I'm fighting it!

Thanks again!
jeff
Old 02-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #12
BLT gmc

Dazza- i have looked at and referred to your post many times. Is yours mounted yet?

Jeff- PM sent. I took some photos on my phone and I made a tracing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #13
dazza

First off Bruce, please accept my apologies, I haven't been on here too often over the last year or so(finishing up this truck) and never think to check messages unless the pop-up tells me there is one... and I must have saw yours and then spaced it completely. Really sorry.

As I told Jeff, I've been going back and forth on which one to mount (if only other things in life were such a hard decision, right??), I like them both and have even looked at maybe mounting one on the rear. I'm not concerned with height so much and just today I had my nephew help me fab up a cross mount and have almost got the sidewinder mounted.

I figure once that is mounted swapping between them should be easy if I decide I'm not happy with the sidewinder. As for the bumper there's a pic below of how the original installer cut it up for the fairlead, which I can cover up with the license plate. I've looked at trying to get the sidewinder up that high but doesn't look possible or a much bigger project that I don't have the time to take on.

I had a NOS bumper but made sure I sold it before I brought out the torch!, I don't think I had the nerve to cut it up anyways!

it looks happy enough!
Attached Images

---- ----
Old 02-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
BLT gmc

Dazza- no worries here. I'm glad you are making progress. I just recently was able to gather all the pieces to make a complete original winch with acessories. I have thought about using AM BlueSteel synthetic rope, my current cable needs replaced. Take care, Bruce
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #15
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT gmc View Post
Dazza- i have looked at and referred to your post many times. Is yours mounted yet?

Jeff- PM sent. I took some photos on my phone and I made a tracing
Posted via Mobile Device
hey I just picked up your message and PMed you back. I was reading your post below. with the behind a bumper mount we won't have to worry about UV rays on synthetic rope.a big plus
Posted via Mobile Device
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #16
dazza

Either of you know what thickness and length of the synthetic line fits?
---- ----
Old 02-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #17
dazza

BLT - what truck is your winch mounted to?

Jeff - is yours a '72?
---- ----
Old 02-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
dazza

nvrmnd Jeff, your phone doesn't put your signature but i found it.
---- ----
Old 02-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #19
BLT gmc

I don't have mine mounted, i would like to inspect/clean and repair what is needed. I'm not sure about the lenght, diameter, maybe 5/16? I will mount it on my 69 GMC K10
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #20
dazza

--

Almost done with it, just need to cut out the bumper, sort out the skid plate, and mount/hookup the electrical.

--
Attached Images

---- ----
Old 02-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #21
BLT gmc

Winch cable is 5/16 x 150'. See the first image in post one on the following thread. I believe it to be part of the original advertisement.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=665977

Take care, Bruce
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #22
jeffahart

You can probably go up to a shorter length of 3/8 also. Master Pull has a line conversion table for common winch makes and models for their various line offerings.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #23
jeffahart

Today I got the compact solenoid in the mail. I dumped some oil in the gear and transfer. And did the bench test. Worked great. I spent the extra bucks and got the round case with the solenoid, and it looks like I may be able to mount it on the side of the gear case. I will mount the winch before I dissemble it. So I can get an idea of what's going on. Here's some pics of the bench testing and the compact solenoid case.

Bench testing
Name:  20160222_184027.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  35.0 KB

Compact solenoid in housing
Name:  20160222_184800.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  30.1 KB

Compact solenoid housing held up against case. I'll see if it will really works in that location once I get it sitting in the frame horns.
Name:  20160222_185102.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  19.4 KB
Old 02-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #24
dazza

Thats really cool. Where did you find that?
---- ----
Old 02-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #25
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
Thats really cool. Where did you find that?
I got the solenoid from Pierce. http://www.piercesales.com/12-volt-r...noid-assembly/

In the next couple days, when I get some time, I'll see if it actually fits in between the frame bolted to the winch.