The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Parallel 4 links

I am saving to do a air bag set up on my truck around Christmas. When work slows down, and no one will notice me gone while the install goes down.

I see on line I can get many different link systems, and some have longer bars. Or you can upgrade to them. Is there any advantage to going with longer bars? My goal is a very nice ride like a 72 Cadillac.

When I read the kits online. They always seem to break into 2 camps. Laying frame or helper air bags. I want a 5/7 drop when I am done. Then I will set the bump stops so it won't damage anything of it loses air. I know alot of it is all about adjustment, and the shocks. But honestly you can only polish a turd so far.

I was looking at a universal kit for ease of packaging. As I would like the air tank accessible if shtf. So I can get a common connector on it to air me back up hopefully.

For reference. I will use the strut tower to bolt on a bag adapter to run a RE8 bag, and weld the bottom plates to the a-arms. I then will mount a shock behind the a-arm like a C30. This way it is easily reversible, and should have plenty of shocks to choose from.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:16 AM   #2
gmc684x4

Re: Parallel 4 links

What are you building ?

And what kind of rear suspension do you already have in your truck ?

Some 4 link setups are more for drag racing then being street driven as they do not handle corners well
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

2018 Silverado 1500 crew cab 2wd.

It will have a 5/7 drop roughly when done maybe a bit lower.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
SCOTI

Longer 'links' on a 4-bar set-up can help ride quality as well as minimize pinion change as they move through the suspensions travel range.

That length though is usually dictated by the reality of the vehicles components as most people are simply bolting or welding something in place where the original suspension was & have no plans to relocate other items that are potentially in the way.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

I plan to cut off the front leaf spring mounts, and go from there. Personally i like triangulated 4 links, but the gas tank is a major obstacle. From my rough measuring I can easily run 40" 4 link bars.

Another option. I am considering is to use the forward leaf spring mount for the lower links, and the gas tank cross member for the upper one. That is if I can replace it or reinforce it enough to support the axle link.

The bags seem to fit well in my mind right now in front of the rear axle. Leaving me room in the back for the shocks, and pan hard bar.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I haven't purchased one of these yet but I think my son's 62 C800 project will get this on the rear suspension. I know some guys that have them on lowered diesel hot rod pick ups and they swear by them.

https://*************/4-link-kits/parallel-4-link-kit
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote