The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #26
Highlander72

Re: Highlander experts....little help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hafner View Post
This means: 54,340 as in the SPID a few posts back. ( they all have that "1" )

That's about the lowest number I've seen also - so far.
Actually, my truck is 45914 (see first pic in this thread), and I found 44303, another orange Highlander, on this site too!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #27
Goat herder

Name:  DSCN0062.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  50.3 KB
Goat herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #28
Goat herder

Notice not listed as a highlander, but no denying--it has almost all the options listed in brochure. Has black dashpad, carpet, and parchment door panels, seatbelts and seats with plaid inserts. No tilt, no door protectors, no below eyeline mirrors--- has everything else.
Goat herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #29
SS Tim

Since there was a CL ad just linked to this thread, I have decided to add a revision that can be found in several other, much later, threads I have posted Highlander plaid information to.

Highlander Plaid trim was a trim only option based on Z62 Custom Deluxe or Z84 CST (Blazer only) optioned vehicles.

Highlander Promo Package trucks were also offered that bundled options with the Higlander Plaid trim. These were sales savings packages A,B and C with increasing levels of content.

Thus a YG_ promo package truck was a Highlander but a Highlander trim code was NOT ALWAYS a promo package equipped truck.

Highlander Plaid trim codes All include black dash pad, steering column (with or without tilt) and carpet. In addition the door panels, visors, console (Blazer only) and seat belts were always parchment (white). Seat vinyl was also parchment and the insert color is determined by the specific code. So the ONLY variable color keyed component was the insert color of the seatcovers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Pickups Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
Avocado 613
Blue 611
Gray 604
Orange 618
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Suburbans Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
Avocado 647
Blue 642
Gray 639
Orange 651
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Blazer CST Z84 mandatory option
Avocado 680
Blue 677
Gray 671
Orange 686
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Promo package codes

A= YG6 Plaid Trim, Special Wheelcovers C10 (PA1) or Chrome Hubcaps C20-30 (PO3), Chrome Front Bumper, Upper (Belt) Molding, Door Edge Guards and Below Eye-Line Mirrors. A $94.50 savings.

B= YG7 (includes A) Adds Turbo-Hydramatic Trans., Power Steering and Tilt. A $178.50 savings.

C= YG8 (includes A and B) Adds A/C and Tint. A $260.50 savings.

Last edited by SS Tim; 01-14-2014 at 10:50 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #30
Highlander72

Thanks for the info!

Here's another potential...in Oregon....

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4279312528.html
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #31
davischevy

I thought I knew everything about these trucks when I joined this site. Hell, I didn't know nothin' compared to what I have learned.

One of my high school buddies still has his dad's old GMC, which is a dead wringer for the subject truck in this post, color and all. This has answered a lot of questions he has had.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #32
SS Tim

davischevy, Good to hear this is of help. That is what makes the research worthwhile. Now on this GMC does it still have the original seat cover? Can we see please pictures of the truck, seat cover and SPID? Plaid GMC trucks are few and far between.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #33
davischevy

I'll try to remember to get some pics of the truck and SPID. The inserts have been replaced with an imposter plaid.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #34
ho70

After reading this thread, just realized the truck I bought last week is a C package Highlander
per oldchevy website:

During 1972, a unique Chevrolet promotional pickup was introduced for a limited time in 1/2 , 3/4, and 1 ton models. This truck was designated the €œHighlander€. Unfortunately, it did not have side emblems or related name plates that would cause people to remember this special model. On the actual truck the word Highlander was only listed on the glove box door inside ID sheet.

This vehicle was actually a modified middle series €œCustom Deluxe€. The horizontal lower side trim has black inserts, not wood grain. The usual €œCustom Deluxe€ chrome emblems are displayed on the front fenders. As with most of the 1972 GM trucks the dash housing, glove box lid, and door panels do not have the wood grain inserts as on the top of the line Cheyenne Super.

It is the cloth seat inserts that stand out on the Highlander interior. This feature was the special Scottish plaid nylon cloth seat insert material. Four plaid colors were available, depending on the exterior color.

GM used the top of the line 1972 Cheyenne Super seat covering but instead of the hounds tooth inserts substituted this unique Tartan plaid material. The vinyl seat edging, door panels, and seat belts were all parchment no matter the seat or exterior color.

The exterior feature of the Highlander is the attractive stainless wheel covers on the ½ ton. They have no emblem or letters and are specific for this particular model truck. (These actually had been used several years before as the stock 15 inch cover on the 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.) The 3/4 and 1 ton Highlander used hub caps, not wheel covers, that were stampings from the standard base truck.

Actually, the more advertised feature of the Highlander was three pre installed option packages. Chevrolet put together several popular factory options in a base package and reduced the total regular price as much as $260.00. Original equipment (standard on the Highlander package A) were chrome front bumper, upper body moldings, door edge guards, and Below-Eye-Line door mounted mirrors.

Package B included the above items plus turbo hydramatic transmission, power steering and tilt steering column. Package C added the above plus air conditioning and Soft-Ray tinted windows.

Last edited by ho70; 01-15-2014 at 03:08 AM.
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #35
Lanman1972

Here is mine, no reference to highlander. I was told the A/C was Dealer installed.
Attached Images

Lanman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #36
leh72super1500
GMC with Blue Plaid

Here is my 72 Canadian Built GMC Super Custom with the 611 Custom Trim Combination option which is the Blue Plaid Cloth seat cloth which I understand could be rare in a GMC. A PO had replaced the cloth probably because it had worn out prematurely as mentioned in a previous post. I ordered the plaid cloth from SMS Fabrics and they seem to have had lots of it in stock so I got enough for two seats. I'm not sure if this is NOS or reproduced but it seems to be of good quality. The original seat vinyl is still in pretty good shape so I want to find a good upholsterer to re-do the seat in this cloth back to its original factory spec.
Attached Images

Previous:
2008 Chevrolet Colorado LT 2.9L I4
1988 Chevrolet Suburban Silverado 10 350 < 60K Orig MI
1984 GMC S-15 2.8L V6
1976 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 Camper Special 350
1980 GMC High Sierra 3500 Dually 350 4spd
1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne Super 10 Shorty 454 (Was my Dads, I wish I still had it)
1969 GMC 910 250 I6 4spd
leh72super1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #37
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho70 View Post
After reading this thread, just realized the truck I bought last week is a C package Highlander
per oldchevy website:

During 1972, a unique Chevrolet promotional pickup was introduced for a limited time in 1/2 , 3/4, and 1 ton models. This truck was designated the €œHighlander€. Unfortunately, it did not have side emblems or related name plates that would cause people to remember this special model. On the actual truck the word Highlander was only listed on the glove box door inside ID sheet.

This vehicle was actually a modified middle series €œCustom Deluxe€. The horizontal lower side trim has black inserts, not wood grain. The usual €œCustom Deluxe€ chrome emblems are displayed on the front fenders. As with most of the 1972 GM trucks the dash housing, glove box lid, and door panels do not have the wood grain inserts as on the top of the line Cheyenne Super.

It is the cloth seat inserts that stand out on the Highlander interior. This feature was the special Scottish plaid nylon cloth seat insert material. Four plaid colors were available, depending on the exterior color.

GM used the top of the line 1972 Cheyenne Super seat covering but instead of the hounds tooth inserts substituted this unique Tartan plaid material. The vinyl seat edging, door panels, and seat belts were all parchment no matter the seat or exterior color.

The exterior feature of the Highlander is the attractive stainless wheel covers on the ½ ton. They have no emblem or letters and are specific for this particular model truck. (These actually had been used several years before as the stock 15 inch cover on the 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.) The 3/4 and 1 ton Highlander used hub caps, not wheel covers, that were stampings from the standard base truck.

Actually, the more advertised feature of the Highlander was three pre installed option packages. Chevrolet put together several popular factory options in a base package and reduced the total regular price as much as $260.00. Original equipment (standard on the Highlander package A) were chrome front bumper, upper body moldings, door edge guards, and Below-Eye-Line door mounted mirrors.

Package B included the above items plus turbo hydramatic transmission, power steering and tilt steering column. Package C added the above plus air conditioning and Soft-Ray tinted windows.

First off h070, Congratulations on you truck find!

The added cut and paste to your post last night surprised me this morning prompting a reply. As stated in my earlier post yesterday, I revived this thread only because there was an ad referencing this specific, early, thread by a seller and it did not represent the latest and best information.

The pasted information has many factual errors that I have an easy hundred hours sorting out over the years.

It was not limited, in fact I have information that suggests Highlander Plaid trim upgrade to the Custom Deluxe was available at the start of production for 1972 until the end of the MY. The first availability of the promo/savings package bundled trucks is being researched. It was not an across the board option, in broad terms it was limited to Fleetside Pickups, Blazers and 4x2 Suburbans as far as I can tell from the data book.

As stated there were no emblems or badging. However the glovebox descriptions varied and "Highlander" may or may not be seen depending on time, plant and if it was a trim or package truck.

It was, as they say, based on a Custom Deluxe trim. In fact it required the RPO Z62 trim (or Z84 on Blazers) and retained almost all of the Custom Deluxe interior. In reality it only changed cloth, keyed trim colors and added carpet.

The seatcover is a Custom Deluxe style with plaid cloth replacing the standard cloth seat inserts, the Cheyenne Super pattern cover was NOT used.

The exterior trim on "most" trucks seen is the woodgrain and not the normal black as standard on Custom Deluxe trucks. Having been able see very few Highlander build sheets is hard to give any absolutes but they do backup the woodgrain exterior molding usage on package trucks with lower molding. Neither molding was required on trim Highlanders and package trucks included only the upper trim as part of the "A" package.

Wheelcovers were standard only on package C/10s and these were the PA1. It should be noted these covers could be ordered on any trim level 4x2 C/10 in 1972 and were not exclusive to the package trucks. K/10 package trucks as well as CK20 and C30 trucks used the P03 Chromed Hub caps.

Again as I posted above there were two distinct variations.

The Highlander Plaid trim trucks that only changed the interior colors and added carpet.

The Highlander promotional packages that included the Highlander trim in addition to bundled option savings groups.

A= YG6 Plaid Trim, Special Wheelcovers C10 (PA1) or Chrome Hubcaps C20-30 (PO3), Chrome Front Bumper, Upper (Belt) Molding, Door Edge Guards and Below Eye-Line Mirrors. A $94.50 savings.

B= YG7 (includes A) Adds Turbo-Hydramatic Trans., Power Steering and Tilt. A $178.50 savings.

C= YG8 (includes A and B) Adds A/C and Tint. A $260.50 savings.

Finally it should also be noted that GMC offered the plaid trim upgrade as well but not a "package" that I have been able to uncover. However due to the efforts of board member Mister-B I have C1500 GMC plaid SPID in my collection.

Last edited by SS Tim; 01-15-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #38
Mike's money pit

Tim,
Thanks for all the updated info and the time spent researching this subject.
Mike
Mike's money pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #39
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanman1972 View Post
Here is mine, no reference to highlander. I was told the A/C was Dealer installed.
Nice truck! You are correct on your truck, being a trim truck, the trim code (in this case 618) is the only reference to it being a Highlander.
That style of A/C with the upper control knob/vents is a known aftermarket unit (ARA IIRC).
Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #40
Lanman1972

Thanks, learned something new today. I'm going home!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #41
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by leh72super1500 View Post
Here is my 72 Canadian Built GMC Super Custom with the 611 Custom Trim Combination option which is the Blue Plaid Cloth seat cloth which I understand could be rare in a GMC. A PO had replaced the cloth probably because it had worn out prematurely as mentioned in a previous post. I ordered the plaid cloth from SMS Fabrics and they seem to have had lots of it in stock so I got enough for two seats. I'm not sure if this is NOS or reproduced but it seems to be of good quality. The original seat vinyl is still in pretty good shape so I want to find a good upholsterer to re-do the seat in this cloth back to its original factory spec.
Nice looking truck! Unfortunately it also presents a dilemma. The dominate stripes have been established as running up and down the seat (floor to roof) on Chevrolet Highlanders. Posted references state that GMC used stripes running across the seat (door to door). However there are very few confirmed original seat GMC Highlanders to verify this either way. The brochures for both Chevrolet and GMC show this across the seat stripes but it appears to be an optical illusion or a running change between advertising and production.
At this point I am inclined to believe that the stripes ran vertical on all Highlander plaid covers Chevrolet or GMC. The one GMC Jimmy I know of would seem to back this up as well.
Even the GMC data book showing the plaid fabric samples seems to have both directions. For what it is worth as a fourth generation upholsterer/trimmer I have had my share of issues with material direction and pay very close attention to it.
So if I may suggest, give Jocko a PM shout and see what he has to share about his "new" Highlander seatcover adventure.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #42
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's money pit View Post
Tim,
Thanks for all the updated info and the time spent researching this subject.
Mike
Mike,
Everyone actually, thanks for the positive feedback. At first the more I tried to put the "known" or "accepted" Highlander information together the less it fit. So the above are based on a lot of digging, research and cross referencing. However it is by no means complete. Hope this helps everyone that needs it or is interested. As always questions, corrections, pictures and SPIDs are invited.
Now if only I could afford that Custom Deluxe 30 Highlander (Package "C") Custom Camper Longhorn I've had my eye on.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #43
jocko

Ah, the one that got away Tim... Not sure what it finally sold for, but it was marked down to $4.5K. Ugh. Wish I'd bought this truck. Matches all your criteria except it's a 3/4 vice 1 ton. Sure matched all mine, but not sure the 'horn would have fit in my garage

It was a big block/TH400 truck also (in addition to its being a pkg C Highlander, Custom Camper...) If it had cab clearance lights, I probably would have wet my pants and done cartwheels. I almost did anyway.

As you know - I checked this one out in person, and I think I will regret not buying it for the rest of my life...
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #44
SS Tim

Actually I am refering to a C30 truck still out there. That white/orange plaid C20 Highlander Longhorn was a great truck though! Of course FirstOwner69 is making a maroon truck easier for me to picture, so maybe a 69 C30 CST Longhorn...
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #45
davischevy

Here's a SPID from a truck we have out back.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #46
SS Tim

Nice equipment! Thanks for posting it. Future project?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #47
davischevy

We bought it for parts. I don't think it has a dent in it, The cab is extremely solid, but the bed is pretty rusty. It's complete, right down to the original battery cables. it will probably get turned into a 4X4 or short bed 2wd.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #48
Lanman1972

CR post in my area. http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4285714711.html
Old 01-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #49
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
davischevy, Good to hear this is of help. That is what makes the research worthwhile. Now on this GMC does it still have the original seat cover? Can we see please pictures of the truck, seat cover and SPID? Plaid GMC trucks are few and far between.
I said my buddies truck was a dead ringer. I didn't realize his didn't have tinted glass until now. The OP truck lists heavy rear springs. My friends truck has coil springs. I thought GMC's had leafs?
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #50
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I said my buddies truck was a dead ringer. I didn't realize his didn't have tinted glass until now. The OP truck lists heavy rear springs. My friends truck has coil springs. I thought GMC's had leafs?
You have brought up several interesting questions.
Did a quick look through my 72 SPIDs from StLouis and every other A/C truck has A11 tinted glass listed. But they had a number of SPID variations too. Does the truck have tinted glass that is not listed on the SPID by chance?

Springs, well most trucks had the choice of stock, HD and auxuiliary springs in either coil or leaf.
The accepted thought that GMC came stock with leafs never rang true to me. Every GMC ad I have come across that mentions springs notes that leaf springs are available (thus not standard). As far as SPIDs go I haven't seen a RPO code for coil spring suspension on Chevy or GMC (67-72 C10/1500-20/2500). While most GMC trucks seem to have leaf springs I'd say they were ordered that way by the dealers vs being default. Leafs may have even been "suggested" on dealer ordering guides prepared by the marketing people.
Interesting fact, the vehicle curb weight decreased from 17-46 lb when leaf springs were ordered replacing coils.

Another interesting point is the sandalwood color on the cluster and glovebox door face. Every GMC Highlander plaid truck I can recall has black. As this would match the convention of matching the dash pad and steering column I am intrigued to say the least to see this variation.
But there could be a number of reasons. Hope to one of these days find production trim cards that call out component colors for a given trim code/combination.

Last edited by SS Tim; 01-16-2014 at 08:06 PM.