The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
MattPSU

Porterbuilt Stage 1 Front and Rear Kit Chart

When I was looking for info on Porterbuilt's Stage 1 kits, I found very few before and after pictures for comparison purposes. So when I decided to go this route, I figured that I would take some pictures of my truck in the same place, from the same angle before and after installing the Stage 1 kits.

Once I got to this point, I decided I wanted to go lower, so I added McGaughy's 2.5" drop spindles. Then I wanted to go lower in the rear, so I added Porterbuilt's 2 piece bolt in notch.

I took pictures of the truck aired up and aired out after every change so that others could see what results come from various combination of parts.

Now that I have my truck where I want it, I put together the chart below with some of the pictures.

FYI - Since adding the notch, I basically have the Stage 2 rear kit in the bottom two pictures.

Some measurements from the ground to the top of the wheel arch in the fender:

Stock: 32"/33" (front/rear)
Stage 1 Up - 33"/34"
Stage 1 Down - 26"/27"
W/ drop spindles Up - 30"/34"
W/ Drop Spindles Down - 24"/27"
W/ Notch up - 30"/32"
W/ Notch Down - 24"/25"

Hopefully someone finds this helpful.

Here's a link to the full size version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%27s%20C10.pdf

Of course this wouldn't have been possible without the help of Travis at Pro Performance!
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
Old 12-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
bodydropped68

Re: Porterbuilt Stage 1 Front and Rear Kit Chart

thanks for the info very nice job.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
slowcpe

Very nice info. Something for me to look forward to. Have my Stage I front and Stage II Basic rear on order.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
dec010974

hey are McGaughys drop spindles different from CPP? I know CPP are cheaper and they claim to pull the front tires inward, which I hope is a good thing. I'm eyeing CPP as we speak.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
oldman3

Great info, thanks for posting...Jim
Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
darkhorse970

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
hey are McGaughys drop spindles different from CPP? I know CPP are cheaper and they claim to pull the front tires inward, which I hope is a good thing. I'm eyeing CPP as we speak.
Very good info, thanks for taking the effort to put this together. It will help me make some suspension upgrade decisions in the future.

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
Old 12-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
sduckworth13

That's pretty cool Matt, thanks for the pictures. This is what I'm doing to my suspension.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
nds1968

Thanks for taking the time and posting your results. It will help me decide on my drop. Nate

I installed the stage 2 rear w/bags and I have 2" dropped spindles with 2" dropped springs for the front. I'm thinking I need to cut one coil now and maybe 1.5" blocks in the rear. We'll see

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
Old 12-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
mac808

Awesome picture chart and write up! You basically did the second part of my PB write up where I was going to try and illustrate the different stance heights of the PB Stage 1/2 kits. Your charts even better with the stock height comparisons too!

Great job!
Old 12-31-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
fastpace

Thanks for posting the pictures and chart Matt. Its really helpful since I just ordered basically the exact same setup but couldn't find any pictures of a completed truck with that that exact setup, seems like everyone is laying frame with drop members and step notches. Great looking truck and that setup looks like it'll be perfect for daily driver duties.
1972 C10 LWB Highlander Dark Olive/White - Work in progress 5.3/6L80e, Accuair e-level, Porterbuilt Stage 1 front and Stage 2 rear, Wilwood 14"F 13"R, Vintage Wheel Works V40 18x8/18x11, and more... Build Thread
Old 12-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydropped68 View Post
thanks for the info very nice job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Very nice info. Something for me to look forward to. Have my Stage I front and Stage II Basic rear on order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Great info, thanks for posting...Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse970 View Post
Very good info, thanks for taking the effort to put this together. It will help me make some suspension upgrade decisions in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
That's pretty cool Matt, thanks for the pictures. This is what I'm doing to my suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpace View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures and chart Matt. Its really helpful since I just ordered basically the exact same setup but couldn't find any pictures of a completed truck with that that exact setup, seems like everyone is laying frame with drop members and step notches. Great looking truck and that setup looks like it'll be perfect for daily driver duties.
Thanks for the feedback guys! Sounds like I wasn't the only one looking for some pictures for comparison purposes.

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

Old 12-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
MattPSU

Quote:
I'm not sure what exactly the differences are between the CPP and McGaughys spindles. I'll ask Travis to chime in or maybe someone else know.

I chose McGaughy's because they'll work with a disc brake upgrade I'm planning on making in the future.

- Matt

Old 12-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
Thanks for taking the time and posting your results. It will help me decide on my drop. Nate

I installed the stage 2 rear w/bags and I have 2" dropped spindles with 2" dropped springs for the front. I'm thinking I need to cut one coil now and maybe 1.5" blocks in the rear. We'll see
If you already have bags in the rear, why not just bag the front too?

Where are you from in Pittsburgh? I'm Pittsburgh born and raised. I grew up in North Apollo - the southern part of Armstrong County.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac808 View Post
Awesome picture chart and write up! You basically did the second part of my PB write up where I was going to try and illustrate the different stance heights of the PB Stage 1/2 kits. Your charts even better with the stock height comparisons too!

Great job!
Thanks! You're Porterbuilt write up was awesome and I used it as a reference when installing my notch last week. I hope that once painted, my truck is half as nice as yours. - Matt

Old 12-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Bhelton

Very nice write up sir!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
Coursey

Very nice comparison!!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
BMERDOC

Did you use the PB Trac-bar? The comparison chart is a very good idea. I'll have the McGaughy's spindles/brakes and PB stage 1 kits before Spring.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Did you use the PB Trac-bar? The comparison chart is a very good idea. I'll have the McGaughy's spindles/brakes and PB stage 1 kits before Spring.
I have the PB Trac-Bar on it's way. Hope to have it installed soon.

If you're going to also do drop spindles, I would recommend doing the stage 2 rear kit and using it without the upper cups. That's where I'm at now. I basically bought the stage two components individually which ended up costing a little more in the long run.

With the spindles and with the upper cups in the rear with no notch, it gave the truck a "east coast rake" with the rear up high in the air. It was cool looking, but I didn't want that look long term.

After doing this, I think the stage one kits should only be used together when you're keeping the stock arms and spindles. This will give you a somewhat stock looking ride height with the option to lower it 6 inches or so when desired.

If you want to be lower, you need to go with the Stage 1 front, Stage 2 rear, and drop spindles. If I were to start over, that's what I would do. - Matt

Old 12-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #19
PBFAB.COM

Matt-

Thanks for the write up! We will be borrowing your comparison pic you put together!

I plan on painting your truck and putting some wheels on it (digitally of course)... what are your plans for paint and wheels? Might as well try and make it look like it will when you complete it!

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods View Post
Matt-

Thanks for the write up! We will be borrowing your comparison pic you put together!

I plan on painting your truck and putting some wheels on it (digitally of course)... what are your plans for paint and wheels? Might as well try and make it look like it will when you complete it!

Nate
Thanks for the feedback, Nate.

Sorry I didn't start with a better looking truck!

Feel free to add wheels and paint for real or digitally. The plan is Dark Blue - something like Dodge's Jazz Blue on the Challengers - with 20" polished wheels. If the budget allows, I'm thinking Intro Flows but that could change.

I have and can send you a bunch of pictures. Let me know if you want those as well.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #21
nds1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
If you already have bags in the rear, why not just bag the front too?

Where are you from in Pittsburgh? I'm Pittsburgh born and raised. I grew up in North Apollo - the southern part of Armstrong County.
I am going to run shrader valves on the rear bags. I was thinking about going with coils again but I already have the bags, line and shraders. I just want to get my truck back in one piece again Then I can decide if I want to fully bag the truck. I'd rather not spend the money or the time messing with that now.

I grew up in Arlington (on the hill above South Side). I live in Brentwood now. My Dad moved out your way a few years ago to Freeport. Now he tells people he lives out in the country

Your truck looks awesome, keep up the good work. Nate

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
Old 12-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
Pro Performance

Great information Matt, and appreciate you posting this up. I too, will have to use this for our site for others to see. Truck is coming along great.

Quote:
CPP has 2 types of spindle, the regular & the modular. The modular is supposed to narrow your track width, but to what exact measurement, I am not sure. I believe they say 3/4", but I am unclear on what that is in comparison to and have yet to confirm.

In my opinion and knowledge, the regular CPP spindle (has caliper mounting ears like a stock spindle) and the McGaughys are very much the same.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Following

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #24
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Performance View Post
Great information Matt, and appreciate you posting this up. I too, will have to use this for our site for others to see. Truck is coming along great.

CPP has 2 types of spindle, the regular & the modular. The modular is supposed to narrow your track width, but to what exact measurement, I am not sure. I believe they say 3/4", but I am unclear on what that is in comparison to and have yet to confirm.

In my opinion and knowledge, the regular CPP spindle (has caliper mounting ears like a stock spindle) and the McGaughys are very much the same.
Thanks for clearing that up, Travis.

Nate - Sunday night I sent you a bunch of pictures. Let me know if you didn't get them or if there's anything else you'd like. - Matt

Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #25
JointTech

awesome info. thanks for taking the time to do it.