The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
1977cheyenne_C10

Is this truck really rare?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4884548931.html
1977cheyenne_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
85supersierra

Re: Is this truck really rare?

not sure how rare it is but them bumpers are terrible
85supersierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
dubds10
Stalker Nate

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard//...d.php?t=107335

Regional package like many back then. Rare maybe outside of California. Desired or valuable, no. Just another '87 C10 besides the options which aren't asthetically pleasing lol

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

http://73-87.com/Special_Editions/Ca..._Sundancer.htm
Attached Images

bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
K.C.'s85

I say YES, not that there wasn't alot made but how many survived with original paint if it is and sundancer decal etc. besides how many have any of you seen?
K.C.'s85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Before this pic I thought the bumper in the cl ad was home made.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:02 AM   #7
andrewmp6

Tube bumpers was popular off road in the 80s a lot of jeeps ran them.Maybe that is why gm used them.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Titomars

This is a regional built truck. Not technically built by GM. A bunch of dealers get together and contract a company to outfit a specific build of truck to their specs. Like wheels, bumpers, lights, decal packages, accessories, etc. The most famous was Ford's "California Special" Mustang. They were not built by Ford. They were outfitted by a company (Carrol Shelby), hired by 14 or so dealers in SoCal.
The dealers each order X amount of the same special order from the factory then either have them drop shipped or they take them to the company that is doing the work. It was a gimmick to sell vehicles. usually aimed at the younger buyer.
While these regional builds are rare today and even possibly worth a lot restored or intact originals to collectors. They are almost impossible to keep original as drivers since the parts used are obsolete and were obsolete almost a year after they were built. Because they were built in such low numbers you can't even scrounge the specific parts.
I worked for a multi-line GM dealer (80 to 91) and they were nothing but trouble even then for getting replacement parts specific to the build.
By the way in California tube bumpers were the rage in the 80's even on 2WD trucks same with those multi-tube roll bars. I never cared for the tube bumpers. Personally they are/were ugly to me even back in the day.
Titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #9
1977cheyenne_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
Before this pic I thought the bumper in the cl ad was home made.
Lmao
1977cheyenne_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:17 AM   #10
andrewmp6

I kinda thought the tube bumpers was homemade or added on after the truck was built.Here in the late 80s early 90s the jeeps and toyota trucks ran tube bumpers i never seen one on a full size truck tell now.The big chrome roll bar in the bed covered in off road lights was big here.I still see old ford trucks in the junk yard here with the roll bars in the bed.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #11
SteveRoller

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C.'s85 View Post
I say YES, not that there wasn't alot made but how many survived with original paint if it is and sundancer decal etc. besides how many have any of you seen?
Well I can tell you I have an original SUNDANCER with its original paint and my truck runs and drives like new and yes theythe ones that have serviced are very rare. My number 916-534-4708 I'm steven
SteveRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:52 AM   #12
SteveRoller

Hi I'm steven
I'm very fourationet that I have an Original
1987 GMC Sundancer truck that is in ment
Condition with Original two ton pain, it runs
And drives like new. My Aunt got it new in
Southern California when they frist came
Out with them, and how I got the truck,
Was my Aunt passed a way. This truck was
Her baby and she toke great care of it, and when
She wasn't driving it, it was always in her garage
And coverd up. I have never seen a truck this old
And in this good of shape.
SteveRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:54 AM   #13
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

How bout some pictures?
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #14
jocko

Ah.. yes, please! Some pictures of your truck would be awesome Steven! Thanks!
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #15
74C10Y

I'm enclosing attachments from GMC TRUCK & COACH group for the 1987 CALIFORNIA SUNDANCER, released in Southern California and Arizona for GMC dealers. I obtained these after my purchase of my 1987 GMC SIERRA CLASSIC SUNDANCER (1GTER14K9HJ512231) on March 12th 1987 at Silver Star GMC/BUICK Dealership. I still have the truck with 40,117 on the odometer, garage kept, with additional equipment from dealer and Smittybilt.

Additionally, of the 150 trucks, 75 were LWB and the other 75 were SWB, of which 25 were SIERRA'S/HIGH SIERRA/SIERRA CLASSIC respectfully in both groups. All were 5.7 with 700R4 transmissions and air conditioning. Though I was informed that a base Sierra long bed had a manual transmission? Dealer's had the options to offer additional equipment. Like any special edition there might be a deviation done while in production, so possible there are SUNDANCER'S that might have slight equipment differences?

These are limited/rare trucks due to factory paint and conversion options, and limit of only 150. Hope that help's anyone out there!
Attached Images

Last edited by 74C10Y; 02-15-2022 at 06:49 PM. Reason: rotate pictures
74C10Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #16
mrtoni

One for sale sacramento craigslist
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...438868402.html

Last edited by mrtoni; 02-15-2022 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added link
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:53 PM   #17
74C10Y

1 of 150, and 1 of 25 SWB Sierra Classic's, so it's a rare truck.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #18
Sovereign

Valuable or not, that's a good looking truck overall. Personally, I enjoy seeing these types of regional or dealer modified vehicles.
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #19
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titomars View Post
This is a regional built truck. Not technically built by GM. A bunch of dealers get together and contract a company to outfit a specific build of truck to their specs. Like wheels, bumpers, lights, decal packages, accessories, etc. The most famous was Ford's "California Special" Mustang. They were not built by Ford. They were outfitted by a company (Carrol Shelby), hired by 14 or so dealers in SoCal.
The dealers each order X amount of the same special order from the factory then either have them drop shipped or they take them to the company that is doing the work. It was a gimmick to sell vehicles. usually aimed at the younger buyer.
While these regional builds are rare today and even possibly worth a lot restored or intact originals to collectors. They are almost impossible to keep original as drivers since the parts used are obsolete and were obsolete almost a year after they were built. Because they were built in such low numbers you can't even scrounge the specific parts.
I worked for a multi-line GM dealer (80 to 91) and they were nothing but trouble even then for getting replacement parts specific to the build.
By the way in California tube bumpers were the rage in the 80's even on 2WD trucks same with those multi-tube roll bars. I never cared for the tube bumpers. Personally they are/were ugly to me even back in the day.
This a true statement as I have know guys from California from car /truck shows talk of this.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:06 PM   #20
Factory Guy

Having just retired from a very large manufacture of cars and trucks, the regional trucks were done to pump up sales when times were slower. Often we at the regional office would get monies from corporate to run a promotion to get sales "up". So rare maybe, desirable very doubtful, here's why...

Often what would happen, a marketing guru would add these things to cars and truck to "jazz" them up but rarely would they look at the long term consequences, hence they would buy cheap stuff, that often did not hold up.

I would pass on anything that wasn't originally built by the manufacturer.
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:24 PM   #21
74C10Y

Yes, very true, it was the last run of third generations and GMC/CHEVROLET were pushing the newly redesigned 1988's and wanted to make room for them. I tried factory ordering a 1987 GMC Sierra Classic R1500 in early 87, but they were not taking any more orders, only on the 88. I happen to come across my Sundancer by chance at the local dealer when it was being dropped off by truck carrier. I inspected the vehicle from top to bottom, researched the invoice and equipment, and was impressed with the quality of the modifications, without hacking the truck up like some did. Basically, a stock truck with additions, that could be bolted on/off the truck.

The modifications are all quality aftermarket bolt on, the paint is factory, and there were no structural or body modifications done by aftermarket sources to the truck body/suspension/frame/driveline/engine and transmission, they were left all factory stock.

These trucks are only rare in the quantity (150) and regional marketing. Value and desirability are based on demand, and by individuals wanting this truck. Like any other vehicle, the marketplace determines this. Only die hard 73-87 GMC/CHEVROLET truck collector's and enthusiasts are going to appreciate this kind of truck and purchase one. If you like it, buy it and enjoy!!!

FYI: The aftermarket equipment, bumpers, rims, tires, rollbars. brush guards were all good quality. Smittybilt bumpers/rollbar, Sprinter Western rims, BF Goodrich tires, Bilstein shocks. These were not cheap junky thrown together trucks for marketing gimmicks. But just like any product you buy, check the quality, if you take care of it, it will last. Manufactures/Dealers are in business to sell their products, gimmicks and all. Some special vehicles are successful, and others have not been.

My GMC has held up exceptionally well without issues for 35 years. What's rare and valuable to me, may not be to others.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:25 PM   #22
LT7A

Great looking truck, and hard to argue with manufacturers like smittybilt and bilstein. You've kept yours in good shape and have every reason to be proud of it. The popularity of the aesthetics of certain trends changes over time. But there's no question that those double tube bumpers were very popular. Essentially it's a Day 2 modified truck with a factory warranty. It's interesting that they put bilsteins on there, great upgrade. Makes the beauty be a little more than skin deep, haha. This is one of those cases where you could probably say that it is a numerically rare truck. But it may not translate into making it more valuable since there's not much of an awareness of this package and therefore not necessarily particularly sought after. I would sure have fun driving it if it was mine though. If you're feel inclined to tell us more about the truck and all these years you've owned it that would be great. And seeing more pictures would be really cool.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote