The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
akart

Q-jet to square bore

Want to put on a Q-jet in my Edelbrock ESP square bore manifold. Question is:Would I loose much or any of my Q-jet power by using an adapter,spread to square. Or is it worth it getting a new spread bore manifold?
Money doesn't matter. It's performance and labor.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
Schroedum

Re: Q-jet to square bore

Any spreadbore manifold you get wont be comparable to the newer squarebore ones. That ESP manifold you have already is a notch above the standard performer. So I'd get an adapter plate for your intake if you wanted to stick with the Q-Jet.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
Mike C

I'm counter to that. I do not like adapters in general and think they are a performance impediment. Losing the adapters lets you set it up with all OEM style parts from pump to carb.

On my kids project Jimmy we went with the Performer intake and a JET Stage 1 Q-jet with the divorced choke (stock style setup) and brand new OEM fuel lines so all metal on pressure side of the pump.

I you have a MUCH higher performance motor I think you can get an Edelbrock Performer RPM with spread bore still. I have a GM cast iron high rise spread bore manifold on my boat which is pretty much a clone of the LT-1 intake but without the square bore which is another option.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:07 AM   #4
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I'm counter to that. I do not like adapters in general and think they are a performance impediment. Losing the adapters lets you set it up with all OEM style parts from pump to carb.

On my kids project Jimmy we went with the Performer intake and a JET Stage 1 Q-jet with the divorced choke (stock style setup) and brand new OEM fuel lines so all metal on pressure side of the pump.

I you have a MUCH higher performance motor I think you can get an Edelbrock Performer RPM with spread bore still. I have a GM cast iron high rise spread bore manifold on my boat which is pretty much a clone of the LT-1 intake but without the square bore which is another option.
Thank you for your input. I'll get the new manifold. I've had that off enough to make it an easy (not too) job. '86 body,'74 K20 frame,'83 running gear. 465 trans,205 transfer case. ORD spring lift and all new engine bolt ons.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
MikeB

Jon Hardgrove at The Carburetor Shop probably knows more about carbs than anyone in the business. From an article quoting him:

"Jon warns that if you are changing from a square-bore carburetor to a spread-bore model, it's important to use the appropriate manifold. "Never use an adapter," he advises. "For maximum efficiency and performance, you want a manifold that's correct for the type of carburetor you're using."

And I like this comment:

For street-driven cars, Jon suggests spread-bore carburetors like the Rochester Quadrajet and Carter Thermoquad as "the way to fly." He says that some Holley four-barrels fall into this category, but he is not a big fan of Holleys. "Unless you have a racing application, spread bores work best," Hardgrove believes. "Assuming that you don't drive wide-open all the time, you're going to be running mostly on primaries and the spread-bore carb has smaller primaries."
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #6
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Jon Hardgrove at The Carburetor Shop probably knows more about carbs than anyone in the business. From an article quoting him:

"Jon warns that if you are changing from a square-bore carburetor to a spread-bore model, it's important to use the appropriate manifold. "Never use an adapter," he advises. "For maximum efficiency and performance, you want a manifold that's correct for the type of carburetor you're using."

And I like this comment:

For street-driven cars, Jon suggests spread-bore carburetors like the Rochester Quadrajet and Carter Thermoquad as "the way to fly." He says that some Holley four-barrels fall into this category, but he is not a big fan of Holleys. "Unless you have a racing application, spread bores work best," Hardgrove believes. "Assuming that you don't drive wide-open all the time, you're going to be running mostly on primaries and the spread-bore carb has smaller primaries."
Thank you very much for your input and advice. "I Believe" and I will get a new correct spread bore manifold for my Quadrajet carb.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #7
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by akart View Post
"I Believe" and I will get a new correct spread bore manifold for my Quadrajet carb.
Hallelujah!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote