The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
tiddlar

Turbo gentlmen

What are your opinions on this? I'd rather have a dart block Callie's crank and better efi. Seems affordable, more than nre and Steve Morris. My truck will be street only backed by a t56 magnum. From what I see I'd just have to get the turbos headers and Intercooler. Anyone know any turbo builders ?
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Heavymetl

Re: Turbo gentlmen

How much power are you wanting to make? What fuel are you going to run?

That's one heck of an overkill engine for a turbo build in a street vehicle.

Anyway, those injectors are tiny, 62lb/hr is nothing for a boost setup.

The Accel EFI is a bit basic.

The ad says "up to 1000hp". Heck, for that amount of power just go get a junkyard Gen IV LS and be done with it. Spend your money then on engine management and fuel delivery.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
tinydb84

Any reason you are going with a sbc vs an LS? More wondering than anything. I plan on doing a turbo build on my LS swap eventually.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetl View Post
How much power are you wanting to make? What fuel are you going to run?

That's one heck of an overkill engine for a turbo build in a street vehicle.

Anyway, those injectors are tiny, 62lb/hr is nothing for a boost setup.

The Accel EFI is a bit basic.

The ad says "up to 1000hp". Heck, for that amount of power just go get a junkyard Gen IV LS and be done with it. Spend your money then on engine management and fuel delivery.
There is no such thing as overkill. 17995 dart block billet caps sportsman xfi, is what he just quoted just need turbos waste-gates inter cooler.. I'm hoping for 700 wheel hp, but with the availability of more
Posted via Mobile Device
tiddlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #5
Heavymetl

I'll let the other folks chime in. But that's flat out a rip-off in this day and age.

Seriously, there are thousands of junkyard turbo LS builds making 700rwhp and living for years. The LS platform is superior for boost in my opinion. I'm sure thats a great engine, but for nearly 18k that's just an absurd way to go about a turbo build. Even if for some reason you're opposed to using a junkyard engine, there are plenty of builders out there who can do an LS long block much more cost effectively.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetl View Post
I'll let the other folks chime in. But that's flat out a rip-off in this day and age.

Seriously, there are thousands of junkyard turbo LS builds making 700rwhp and living for years. The LS platform is superior for boost in my opinion. I'm sure thats a great engine, but for nearly 18k that's just an absurd way to go about a turbo build. Even if for some reason you're opposed to using a junkyard engine, there are plenty of builders out there who can do an LS long block much more cost effectively.
Definitely don't want to do junkyard ... I do appreciate the input, gonna have to research some more .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2016, 11:28 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I remember reading in your build and seeing the pic mocked up with the smallblock and remember you saying turbo as well..I'm not gonna knock anybodys engine combo choice but I remember wondering to myself why you wernt going LS with a nice of a build as youve got going....if your wanting 700hp I have to agree with the above about using a ls/turbo combo..much cheaper to get there with LS and doesnt have to be junkyard..but that's just me..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #8
Super73

Heck I have most the parts room put together a 400" boost ready ls long block. Was going to sell for $7k. Perhaps I should raise the price....
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #9
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I remember reading in your build and seeing the pic mocked up with the smallblock and remember you saying turbo as well..I'm not gonna knock anybodys engine combo choice but I remember wondering to myself why you wernt going LS with a nice of a build as youve got going....if your wanting 700hp I have to agree with the above about using a ls/turbo combo..much cheaper to get there with LS and doesnt have to be junkyard..but
that's just me..
At the time it was "cheaper" to mock it up for sbc, which meant funds didn't allow for a junkyard mock up block... What I'm wondering, would it be difficult to change? Sbc to ls? Regarding tranny driveline etc...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2016, 11:46 PM   #10
tiddlar

And I value all you guys Input thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #11
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Yeah that's the bad part..that you had it smallblock mocked..you could still go ls..it would be fine with the t56..I don't know how far along you got with your frame fab but if it was me I would remove all the mounts and redo them to fit a LS/t56 rather than adapt it to fit..so that would mean some more fab work..but it would still probably be cheaper than doing the smallblock the way you were headed..with the bonus of a more modern engine and some decent gas mileage..I know what you mean though. I looked for a cheap LS block for mockup and can't find one.. but mine will be LS and I'm heavily considering turbos..but under the hood turbos will be a tight fit so I'm thinking about mounting them in the bed..nebs has a good looking setup with his bed mounted turbo on about page 11 of his build.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380212

Last edited by mongocanfly; 06-29-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 AM   #12
tiddlar

Quote:
Yeah that's the bad part..that you had it smallblock mocked..you could still go ls..it would be fine with the t56..I don't know how far along you got with your frame fab but if it was me I would remove all the mounts and redo them to fit a LS/t56 rather than adapt it to fit..so that would mean some more fab work..but it would still probably be cheaper than doing the smallblock the way you were headed..with the bonus of a more modern engine and some decent gas mileage..I know what you mean though. I looked for a LS block for mockup and can't find one.. but mine will be LS and I'm heavily considering turbos..
Sh*t
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #13
tinydb84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
Heck I have most the parts room put together a 400" boost ready ls long block. Was going to sell for $7k. Perhaps I should raise the price....
ahem ahem....I'm right up the road. If I didnt put an offer in on a house....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddlar View Post
At the time it was "cheaper" to mock it up for sbc, which meant funds didn't allow for a junkyard mock up block... What I'm wondering, would it be difficult to change? Sbc to ls? Regarding tranny driveline etc...?
Posted via Mobile Device
I went back and looked at your pics. It looks like you would just need to fab a new set of motor mounts. I cant see all the clearances but it doesnt look like it would be much work at all.

For the price difference per hp I think you will come out far ahead with an LS engine.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #14
tiddlar

I guess there is adapter plates that's would make it fit.. I do have a tranny adapter though🤔.
The price seems to be pretty damn close ... This is 30 grand yikes.. 1000 horse supercharged Holley efi... But ouch
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #15
ptc

They make LS/SBC adaptors... easy to re-fab for fitment to anything. I made mine to fit BBC.

I have a great turbo builder here in bay area that could do you a build on anything. He does alot of boat motors. Working on a 1600hp motor for a 21 foot Eliminator Cat hull now. Drop me a pm if interested.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #16
ptc

This is a Procharged 400 CI SBC ---- In a Datsun 240Z !!!! RWHP -1450

Old 06-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #17
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
This is a Procharged 400 CI SBC ---- In a Datsun 240Z !!!! RWHP -1450

Holy hot dang... Pump gas though?
Old 06-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #18
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Yep ..they make adapter plates to go from a small block to a LS..that's what I used on my 6.0 LS 81 truck..you could use those but if it was mine i would rather redo the mounts to purpose fit a LS if you go that route. You can do a crate LS engine way way cheaper than that one you have a pic of. For instance.. here is a crate 580hp supercharged for just over 10gs..I know you said you were shooting for 700 but I can tell you this and feel confident about it...580hp will destroy your tires just as easy as 700hp..just not much weight in these trucks to make em hook. Another thing you might want to think about is the torque limit of a t56 before you shoot for 700hp...http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19331507.html
Old 06-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #19
tiddlar

Quote:
Yep ..they make adapter plates to go from a small block to a LS..that's what I used on my 6.0 LS 81 truck..you could use those but if it was mine i would rather redo the mounts to purpose fit a LS if you go that route. You can do a crate LS engine way way cheaper than that one you have a pic of. For instance.. here is a crate 580hp supercharged for just over 10gs..I know you said you were shooting for 700 but I can tell you this and feel confident about it...580hp will destroy your tires just as easy as 700hp..just not much weight in these trucks to make em hook. Another thing you might want to think about is the torque limit of a t56 before you shoot for 700hp...http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19331507.html
Yea .... But 500's is so mediocre sounding you know ? This is strictly groceries and gym. And we'll a lot of show. The hell cat has 707... It's an ego thing I guess. I'm still about 6 months out from engine phase. Got s lot of window shopping to do...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #20
tiddlar

And who knows at this point. I might jump the gun, get a 427/434 crate and throw it in just to drive it more soon. 25+ on motor will set me back on driving it a long time 💔
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2016, 01:53 AM   #21
tinydb84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddlar View Post
Yea .... But 500's is so mediocre sounding you know ? This is strictly groceries and gym. And we'll a lot of show. The hell cat has 707... It's an ego thing I guess. I'm still about 6 months out from engine phase. Got s lot of window shopping to do...
Posted via Mobile Device
The Hellcat is heavy!

You can take that engine, put in a better cam, change the pulley and should be much closer to 700.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #22
urmyboyblue

The package you have in the first post seems more than enough to do 700HP at the rear wheel. But it does seem overpriced IMO, but it does have a lot of good parts in it. If you are going to make over around 750 HP with a small block, an aftermarket block is a must. As is forged internals and good heads. If you have compared this to Steve Morris and NRE, you have looked at some of the better builders. If you want something less expensive, look to see if Blueprint Engines has something you could work with.

As for LS engines- yes, a junk yard LS engine CAN make 1000 HP- a few times on a dyno but not for long as it will dissassemble itself quickly. I have seen a lot of "1000 HP" LS's that can't run 12's in a 3000# car.

If you want a fun streetable ride, you really want torque, not HP. I know people don't brag on torque (unless its a diesel), but it is really what you want. If I had $12000 to spend on an engine ( you must have closer to $20K to consider a $17K engine that you will have to add turbos to), I would go with a Blueprint engines 632. 815 HP, 800ft-lbs of torque, pump gas friendly. No turbos required. AND a 30 month 50000 mile warranty! Try to beat that with a junk yard LS!

http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...ssed-ps6320ctc
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #23
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmyboyblue View Post
The package you have in the first post seems more than enough to do 700HP at the rear wheel. But it does seem overpriced IMO, but it does have a lot of good parts in it. If you are going to make over around 750 HP with a small block, an aftermarket block is a must. As is forged internals and good heads. If you have compared this to Steve Morris and NRE, you have looked at some of the better builders. If you want something less expensive, look to see if Blueprint Engines has something you could work with.

As for LS engines- yes, a junk yard LS engine CAN make 1000 HP- a few times on a dyno but not for long as it will dissassemble itself quickly. I have seen a lot of "1000 HP" LS's that can't run 12's in a 3000# car.

If you want a fun streetable ride, you really want torque, not HP. I know people don't brag on torque (unless its a diesel), but it is really what you want. If I had $12000 to spend on an engine ( you must have closer to $20K to consider a $17K engine that you will have to add turbos to), I would go with a Blueprint engines 632. 815 HP, 800ft-lbs of torque, pump gas friendly. No turbos required. AND a 30 month 50000 mile warranty! Try to beat that with a junk yard LS!

http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...ssed-ps6320ctc
I've looked into Ls. The lsx 376, 7500, get a btr stage 3 turbo cam spring upgrade and good to go.read an article where they did this and at 14.6 lbs made 1000hp. It's also reliable. Pretty much any amount of hp/tq, won't get me anywhere, Mickey thompsons s/r don't stick. This is pretty much a show truck. I always prepare, you never know in the future I might have to sell.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #24
urmyboyblue

Thinking thru the turbo idea from a financial stand point with an LSX 376:

LSX376 B8 from Jegs, $5600
cam kit with springs: $700 not including labor to install
turbos (Precision): $2300
fab inlet side: $1500 estimated
EFI: $2000 - this is an under estimation- a Holley Dominator EFI and harness is about this price without the sensors
Intercooler: $750
Headers: $1500- better go stainless if you want it to live, will require custom plumbing
Intake for an LSX: $600
Injectors: $300+
This doesn't include throttle body, ignition, blow off valve, waste gates and controller and dressing out the LSX with the accessories. Total price so far: $15250. This idea will probably set you back around $20K+.

Granted there are several ways you can achieve most any power level you want. If you want turbos then go turbos. They sure look good when the install is done nice and can generate some great power. Plus they are more adjustable than any other power adder. The down side is the excess heat generated requires more radiator and the hot side cracks over time. It just seems like a lot of work and money for something you just want to putt around in and look at and not use to its potential.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #25
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmyboyblue View Post
Thinking thru the turbo idea from a financial stand point with an LSX 376:

LSX376 B8 from Jegs, $5600
cam kit with springs: $700 not including labor to install
turbos (Precision): $2300
fab inlet side: $1500 estimated
EFI: $2000 - this is an under estimation- a Holley Dominator EFI and harness is about this price without the sensors
Intercooler: $750
Headers: $1500- better go stainless if you want it to live, will require custom plumbing
Intake for an LSX: $600
Injectors: $300+
This doesn't include throttle body, ignition, blow off valve, waste gates and controller and dressing out the LSX with the accessories. Total price so far: $15250. This idea will probably set you back around $20K+.

Granted there are several ways you can achieve most any power level you want. If you want turbos then go turbos. They sure look good when the install is done nice and can generate some great power. Plus they are more adjustable than any other power adder. The down side is the excess heat generated requires more radiator and the hot side cracks over time. It just seems like a lot of work and money for something you just want to putt around in and look at and not use to its potential.
I cant count how many times of done a price list like this.. id got with the b15 though. This is my high school dream im going big. You pop a hood now a days and you don't see a supercharger or turbos its meh. Ive always wanted a 6spd and turbos in my high school truck. ill spend the extra dough. still looking everywhere lingenfelter golen engines has caught my attention with their short blocks.