The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
jcd9730

Has anyone used these subs before?

I don't have a lotta room under my new bucket seats since I put in procar pro-90s and bracket in. I'm kinda tall, so I had to cut the seat bracket down, leaving me with little room for subs. I know the best way is move the gas tank, but I don't have the time for that anytime soon.

http://www.retrosound.com/product-p/hot-sub-8100.htm

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
jcd9730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Lattimer

Re: Has anyone used these subs before?

I have not had experience with that exact one, but similar designs I have seen sound horrible. It does have decent reviews on Crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068SUB8...er-reviews-tab

I have tested out one by Alpine and one by Kicker in the past, and they were both pretty sad sounding.

I have the same seats and frame as you, and I lowered mine as far as it would go. The front of the bracket sits on the hump. I'm not certain that would even fit under my seats.

I built my sub into my center console.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #3
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

I haven't tried their specific "brand," but I can tell you that if you are looking for "decent" bass to compliment a system, you can fit a Bazooka 8" tube in the passenger corner area behind the seat. It's a tight fit in that corner, but gives off some really nice bass to compliment a system.

Kenwood and Kicker also make low profile, powered subs, that will fit under the seat. They all really bring out the overall bass in a system to round it out.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:22 AM   #4
jcd9730

Lattimer I like how you did yours. I was trying to think of a way to do that, but I didn't even think of using 2x4s. So simple. Where did you get your console? Looks so much better than then LMC one I have

Those bass tubes are cool, I've never seen them before. Does it sound weird having just one sub in the one corner?

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
Old 02-04-2015, 02:48 AM   #5
NJ C10 Guy

hijack...im putting the pro-90 lobacks seats in my 86 in the near future. you have any pics?
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:59 AM   #6
jcd9730

This is the only one I had. I can take more in the morning if you'd like. I have the velour ones, they're very comfortable. The main reason I wanted these was for the head protection, and they work well. The only complaint I have, and I think Lattimer can agree, is that the seat bracket that goes with the seats is way to tall. I'm 6'3", and my head hit the roof, so I had to get about 2.5in taken out. I would suggest making your own brackets if you have the tools (I do not) even if you are on the shorter side
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2015, 03:00 AM   #7
jcd9730

Also, ignore the holes in the door panels and too short carpet. PO, not me haha

Old 02-04-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd9730 View Post
Lattimer I like how you did yours. I was trying to think of a way to do that, but I didn't even think of using 2x4s. So simple. Where did you get your console? Looks so much better than then LMC one I have

Those bass tubes are cool, I've never seen them before. Does it sound weird having just one sub in the one corner?
I got the console on Ebay, it was meant to strap to the middle of the bench seat. This place sells the same one: http://www.cupholdersplus.com/produc...BC-SHORTY.html
I cut the strap off and screwed it to the subwoofer box, then spaced the box up with the 2x4's and screwed them to the frame.

I've used the bass tubes before. They create bass, and some of them can create a lot. They are not real accurate on sound, so if you are a particular person when it comes to sound, you won't like them. They tend to be muddy compared to a regular sub enclosure.

The position of the bass in the vehicle should be a non issue. The way the low frequency waves move through air, the bass will be "enveloping" you in the airspace in the cab regardless of where its located. Speaker position means a lot more the higher the frequency. Put tweeters in the wrong place and they are useless.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
Lattimer

Quote:
This is the only one I had. I can take more in the morning if you'd like. I have the velour ones, they're very comfortable. The main reason I wanted these was for the head protection, and they work well. The only complaint I have, and I think Lattimer can agree, is that the seat bracket that goes with the seats is way to tall. I'm 6'3", and my head hit the roof, so I had to get about 2.5in taken out. I would suggest making your own brackets if you have the tools (I do not) even if you are on the shorter side
I'm 6'3" and I have a long torso. I couldn't even get in the truck with the bracket as it arrived. I think I took about 3" out of it until the front edge sat right on the floor. I debated making my own bracket vs modifying the one they sell. I knew from the other threads on here that it would be too tall. I looked at the cost to buy metal and figure fabbing a bracket would take me at least 4 times as long as modifying one, so I bought the bracket and spent a couple of hours shortening the legs.

Mine are the black vinyl seats.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
sneakyfast

Man that is one beautiful interior. I love the paint being gone where the arm hangs out the window. Love some more pics if it's not too much trouble.
sneakyfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyfast View Post
Man that is one beautiful interior. I love the paint being gone where the arm hangs out the window. Love some more pics if it's not too much trouble.
Thanks!!! Look through my build thread. There are a bunch of pics.

I was originally going to paint the doors, and the whole truck for that matter. Somewhere along the way the cost of doing a full rest seemed like way too much, and it turned into a shop truck. Now the worn areas "fit" perfect, and I like the historic look of it.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 AM   #12
jcd9730

Well I went with the 8" bazooka tube BruthaMan suggested. I bridged my alpine amp so the sub is using two channels and it sounds real good and hits hard. 100x better than those POS custom autosound ones I had before. It is a bit muddy and not a clear as a real sub and enclosure like Lattimer said, but I think having a good amp helps a lot. Anyways, these trucks are loud and its not like I can tell its a little distorted when I'm on the freeway with the windows down.

Thanks for the tip, never would have considered putting one of these in it!

Old 02-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #13
Lattimer

Quote:
Well I went with the 8" bazooka tube BruthaMan suggested. I bridged my alpine amp so the sub is using two channels and it sounds real good and hits hard. 100x better than those POS custom autosound ones I had before. It is a bit muddy and not a clear as a real sub and enclosure like Lattimer said, but I think having a good amp helps a lot. Anyways, these trucks are loud and its not like I can tell its a little distorted when I'm on the freeway with the windows down.

Thanks for the tip, never would have considered putting one of these in it!
Glad you got something that works for you. Life without bass........no thanks!!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #14
RetroMfgWil

Quote:
I don't have a lotta room under my new bucket seats since I put in procar pro-90s and bracket in. I'm kinda tall, so I had to cut the seat bracket down, leaving me with little room for subs. I know the best way is move the gas tank, but I don't have the time for that anytime soon.

http://www.retrosound.com/product-p/hot-sub-8100.htm
Each persons tastes in bass is different. Our Sub8100 will fulfill that needed bass for most people's taste but this setup isn't made for that booming, window rattling bass. So don't expect that with something of this design. But it does do its job to give that full sound along with your other speaker components. These are designed to complement an audio system for many typical car setups.

We do have our unique Flat subwoofers also that are designed to fit in small sealed enclosures so that can be placed behind the seats. Those will provide a better bass sound for those looking for that.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
RetroMfgWil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Glad you got something that works for you. Life without bass........no thanks!!
haha... I hear that.
RetroMfgWil is offline   Reply With Quote