The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #26
CSHADES

Re: project 39

joedoh I used a piece of 3/8" rod and bent it to match the curve of the fender, tack welded it to my patch and then hammered the sheetmetal over the rod to get the rolled edge. Then cut the tacks off of the rod and finished the roll.

Last edited by CSHADES; 03-08-2018 at 07:25 PM.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #27
CSHADES

I got all the brake line, underhood vacuum and fuel lines done. So I thought I would wire the engine temporally to start it. I got it running after a bit of messing with the dist. It runs like total garbage, so I do a compression test and have 3 cylinders with 0 psi readings. Pull the valve cover off the passenger side and see there are 2 exhaust valves hanging open. I assume they had been bent in the past, I pulled the heads off to see if I could replace the valves with some used ones from another set of heads I had laying around. When I pulled the head off the drivers side I discover a bolt lodged in an intake valve that screwed up the seat pretty bad. I also discovered a fair amount of silver goo up on top in the heads which I assume is worn bearing material. At this point I have to make a decision on my next step. I decided even though I had planned on rebuilding the engine during the building of the truck I was not really ready to do that at this point. So I dug out the other nailhead that I had tucked away right after I got the one that I had put in the truck. This one had come from a friend of my brothers that had some property that this car was left on and wanted the car gone. I went and retrieved it for free, pulled the engine and a bunch of smalls off it. The junk guy gave me $200 for it when I was done. So I dug it out the other day and removed all of the unwanted parts off it and degreased it to put it in the truck. The first pic is the one I pulled out and the next 2 are going in. My goal at this point is to get it running and make the truck movable under its own power. I hate pushing projects around by hand.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #28
joedoh

I know the definition of optimism is to try the same thing again and hope for a different result but I hope your second unknown condition engine runs better than the first unknown condition engine

nailheads have such a great look in hot rods.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #29
CSHADES

I approached the second engine a bit different, I pulled the rocker arm covers off and made sure everything was moving correctly. I removed the spark plugs, 2 squirts oil per cylinder and then cranked it by hand and made sure I had compression on all cylinders. All I need it to do is run decent enough to move it smoothly. I am going to rebuild the first engine, just didn't want it to be now while I still have major items to purchase(wheels, radiator, gauges)
Old 03-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #30
joedoh

no offense intended, I was just turning a phrase, a little levity.

I always drive my donors home, and around the neighborhood a bit, so I know they work. its easier to start up a project you know ran the last turn of the key! and besides, the last truck I took on a flatbed enjoyed it so much it insisted on one every time.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #31
CSHADES

No offence taken. I bought the donor car (1963 buick convert) from my grandfather about 15 years ago. It hadn't been run since the late 70s before I bought it in like 2003 I think. I had it running before I drove it into the shop and pulled the motor, I know it didn't run great but I didn't think it ran that bad. the bent valves I believe were already in place, the bolt that was stuck in the intake valve/seat was inflicted by me accidently. you should always cover the openings in engines when they sit around. The 2nd engine I had running before I removed it also, the problem with that was the exhaust was all gone off the car except the y pipe and the floorpans were all rotten. When I got it running the carpet was hanging down and the exhaust shooting out of the y pipe was blowing on the carpet. The carpet started on fire and I ahd to put it out. I had enough fun for the day so I just pulled the motor and called it good.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #32
CSHADES

got the second nailhead in place. I have run it a few different times being I have no cooling system in place yet. The more it runs the better it sounds, had a bit of lifter tic when first started but that is pretty much gone at this point.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #33
joedoh

looks great! glad to hear it runs good

Old 04-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #34
CSHADES

I drove the 39 for the first time since I bought him back in 1974. Wasn't much of a trip since there is no cooling system in place yet, just down the driveway and back. the GF heard it and ran out and took some pics. Sorry about the sideways pics don't know how to change.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #35
joedoh

outstanding! bet that felt good I bet that nailhead sounded even better too.

here are your rotated pics!
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #36
CSHADES

Thanks Joedoh. It sounded great.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #37
Kermitt47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSHADES View Post
here is some pics of the gas tank install. I pulled the sheetmetal back off and pulled the engine and trans. Shortened the frame to the correct length. So I am back to where I started.
What are you using for the gas tank that has the side fill? Any idea how many gallons? Thanks
Kermitt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #38
CSHADES

The gas tank is out of a late 70s chevy Monza from down south. I have the same tank in my 40. The problem with the tank is they don't repop them. At least not that I have found.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #39
Kermitt47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSHADES View Post
The gas tank is out of a late 70s chevy Monza from down south. I have the same tank in my 40. The problem with the tank is they don't repop them. At least not that I have found.
Thanks, I like your extended cab. It will be nice to have some more leg room.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #40
CSHADES

Have been working on the inside box panels and the cover for the bed. I also got the wig wag light mounting figured out. Had to make a new mounting tube for the light to clear the cover. Now I can take the light apart for rechroming. The hinges were an interesting project, they are for a 49-51 ford car trunk. The problem was that the base of them are angled to match the curve of the cars trunk and I needed them to be straight and flat. I was going to have my uncle cut some aluminum wedges to make the sit correctly but he actually was able to mill them flat.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #41
joedoh

nice attention to detail!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #42
CSHADES

Got the tin bent and screwed down on the framework. I had more than enough clearance on the brake light to cover so I cut the light mount post down 3/4 of an inch. The tin is just roughed in. I had a heck of a time bending the long edges. I have a long ways to go for finishing the tin but at least I have it roughed in. I disassembled the light last night so I can take the pieces to the chrome guy at the swap meet this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #43
Kermitt47

The bed looks great, are you planning on using the stock rear fenders or will there be another surprise?
Old 04-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #44
CSHADES

I am going to use the original rear fenders that were in the pictures on page one.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #45
CSHADES

Been doing other things lately but had some time on the 4th to work on the truck. Did a little welding on the dual snorkel air cleaner that I am thinking about using. Started patching the original running boards, I had some cut off pieces of running board that were attached to some crusty rear fenders I bought a while back so I didn't feel bad about using them for patches. I decided I should get all the fenders mounted temporarily so I could make the new running board mounts. I wanted the boards to fit a bit tighter to the body than what they were stock and also the box I built is wider than the stock 39. So I ended up moving the mounting holes in the rear fenders for the boards. I think it looks pretty good at this point, still need to do a lot of metal work. I love the fact that the 1939 rear fenders are wider than all of the 40-46 rear fenders, so I can get a bigger tire under the rear.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #46
CSHADES

Had time to work on truck this past week and weekend. The first thing I did was get the front bumper set up for a permanent mount. I got a pair of 1937desoto front bumpers for free. One of my friends bought a 32 ford 5 window with Desoto bumpers on it. He didn't like them so we swapped repop 32 bumpers and he gave me the Desoto bumpers. So I had a pair of 40 chevy car bumper brackets so I used them with the Desoto bumpers after a bit of bending and tweaking. I ordered some briz bumper bolts to fit it and will have it rechromed when I am finished test fitting it.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #47
CSHADES

I finished the bumper mount on Saturday morning. So I started on fitting the 1939 upper grille trim to the 40 radiator support. After eye balling it for a while I went in the house for lunch, told the girlfriend that I was tempted to just leave the 40 trim in place because of the amount of work it was going to take to change it over. She looked straight at me and said why would you do that? you will never be happy unless it has the right one on there. I decided she was right(as usual). Anyone that tells you that the '39 support is the same as a '40 is full of s**t. The upper lip and front top corners are not even close to bolt on the '39 trim. I ended up making a jig to keep the hood ornament and hood in place, got that mounted and started slicing up the radiator support. I have to say this support is the nicest I have ever seen so it was a bit difficult to do. I would not recommend doing this unless you have some upper pieces from an actual '39 support. I luckily had a very messed up set of panels and the upper brace from a truck I bought 10 years ago. I will post some more pics as I go along.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #48
CSHADES

working on finishing the radiator support, thought I should test fit the grille and figure out how it was going to mount. With putting the 39 grille trim on the support I had to decide weather to move the grille up or to add a bar on the top. I decided to move the grille up to close the gap. next up finish weld the radiator support.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #49
CSHADES

finished welding the upper radiator support for the 39 trim bar. I had a dented and crusty 40 trim bar that I cut the ends off to finish the radiator support behind the trim bar. Have a bit more tweaking to do finish it up. Right now just working on getting everything lined up. Next up cutting and moving the chin and baffle.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #50
dennislbrooks

nice