The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2023, 08:49 PM   #1
desert-rat

Turn signal switch doesn't fit.

OK, so the truck is a '72 with tilt column. But it has the black hazard button with the shift indicator bulb. But I have no turn signals. So I purchased a new turn signal switch that says has the correct red button hazard for tilt column. I was confused about the red hazard button. The new switch with "correct" red hazard doesn't fit though. When I put the old switch back in with the black round hazard, it fits like a charm.
Maybe the steering column was swapped? Even the hole for the hazard switch seems big enough for the round black hazard button. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:08 PM   #2
70shortfleet

Re: Turn signal switch doesn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-rat View Post
OK, so the truck is a '72 with tilt column. But it has the black hazard button with the shift indicator bulb. But I have no turn signals. So I purchased a new turn signal switch that says has the correct red button hazard for tilt column. I was confused about the red hazard button. The new switch with "correct" red hazard doesn't fit though. When I put the old switch back in with the black round hazard, it fits like a charm.
Maybe the steering column was swapped? Even the hole for the hazard switch seems big enough for the round black hazard button. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Can you post a few pictures of what you have?
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:23 AM   #3
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I went though this too. I bought a tilt column from the forums and the cable for the switch was causing a ground short. It was also has a black pull for the hazards and I changed it to the red one that didn't need a half-moon adapter.

The only way to get the red one in is to remove the bezel, which is a pain if you don't have the puller (Kent Moore j-22708). No one hardly has one. Dissembling a tilt column

I could be wrong but I bet you need to remove the cover to get your new "red" switch in.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:35 PM   #4
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
I went though this too. I bought a tilt column from the forums and the cable for the switch was causing a ground short. It was also has a black pull for the hazards and I changed it to the red one that didn't need a half-moon adapter.

The only way to get the red one in is to remove the bezel, which is a pain if you don't have the puller (Kent Moore j-22708). No one hardly has one. Dissembling a tilt column

I could be wrong but I bet you need to remove the cover to get your new "red" switch in.
Do I have to use the red hazard button assembly? That assembly was about 50 bucks and I damaged it trying to make it work. It's in the trash now 😔. I found a black hazard button assembly on Amazon for cheaper but doesn't have the shift indicator light. I don't care about the shift indicator light at this point. I just wanna drive the truck now. But if having to remove the bezel will guarantee the install to work, I'll buy another correct red hazard button assembly and try again.
Old 12-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Do you have to use the red one? No you don't. At some point you'll care after driving enough times at night! You can get the Black or Red with the light bulb, which is the one that is designed for a tilt column. I would think the one you see on Amazon is for the Non-Tilt Column version with the light fiber line to the cluster dash lights.

But if you get the Red one again, I am nearly 100% sure you need to remove the bezel - be sure to look at that thread I put in my previous reply. I think the reason is: you can't remove the red pull, like you can the black one.

It is all up to you which direction to go but the Red on can be installed (but it can be a PITA to get the Bezel off).

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 12-03-2023, 04:15 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

The Red Button is for '68. Later models use the 2 piece black button.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:41 PM   #7
70shortfleet

This is the one I use, same as the tilt wiring harness but without the light assembly which just screws onto the bottom side of the non tilt harness. I have plenty of light assemblies if you need one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200918678705
Old 12-04-2023, 01:52 AM   #8
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shortfleet View Post
This is the one I use, same as the tilt wiring harness but without the light assembly which just screws onto the bottom side of the non tilt harness. I have plenty of light assemblies if you need one.
So the only difference between the tilt and non tilt column turn signal switch is the bulb for the shifter? If that's the case, I can use the bulb from the now damaged assembly and move it over to a new non tilt turn signal switch assembly with the black hazard button?
Old 12-04-2023, 02:50 AM   #9
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Any reason why I can't find the black button assembly for tilt? Every assembly for tilt for my '72 says with correct red button.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:41 AM   #10
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Any reason why I can't find the black button assembly for tilt? Every assembly for tilt for my '72 says with correct red button.
That is funny. I remember when the GM Dealers only sold the black button type. Then the aftermarket stuff came on the market, and suddenly -- you could get Vintage Correct Red Button T/S switches. Oh boy! And now, that's all you can get.

It's easier to install the black button version, because you can unscrew the knob, and the switch assembly just drops into the column-- then you screw the pull knob back on.
The red ones seem to fight their way in. Probably why they were superceded during the production run. Nowdays, Manufacturers for ''Vintage Cars'' think of themselves as toymakers. With about the same degree of quality assurance.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 12-04-2023 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:59 AM   #11
A1971Blazer

Just ran across this last week.
I bought one from Classic parts that was supposed to be for a tilt column with the detachable hazard knob.
It did not have the provision for the indicator bulb.
The only one I could find had the red non-removable hazard knob.
I ended up making a puller using the dimensions that someone posted on here, to remove the outer ring on column in order to get it installed.
Once installed it works perfectly.

Name:  IMG_1194.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  40.7 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:20 AM   #12
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
That is funny. I remember when the GM Dealers only sold the black button type. Then the aftermarket stuff came on the market, and suddenly -- you could get Vintage Correct Red Button T/S switches. Oh boy! And now, that's all you can get.

It's easier to install the black button version, because you can unscrew the knob, and the switch assembly just drops into the column-- then you screw the pull knob back on.
The red ones seem to fight their way in. Probably why they were superceded during the production run. Nowdays, Manufacturers for ''Vintage Cars'' think of themselves as toymakers. With about the same degree of quality assurance.
Without a doubt the black one is way easier to install. Though it seems Red vs Black (as stock) has been debated a bit. I haven't any real clue which it is LOL

Two threads worth reviewing:
Hazard Switch

Tilt wheel Hazard Switch

Old 12-04-2023, 10:02 AM   #13
70shortfleet

Quote:
So the only difference between the tilt and non tilt column turn signal switch is the bulb for the shifter? If that's the case, I can use the bulb from the now damaged assembly and move it over to a new non tilt turn signal switch assembly with the black hazard button?
You are correct. If you have the red flasher type you have to install the harness and upper housing at the same time.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:22 AM   #14
desert-rat

Quote:
You are correct. If you have the red flasher type you have to install the harness and upper housing at the same time.
Seems like the link that 70shortfleet shared may be the way to go with the back hazard button and just attach the shift light to that one since all the assemblies have the mounting holes for the light. What I noticed, unless pictures defy me, the columns with the red hazard button is rectangular shape and the columns with the black hazard button is round. Am I seeing this wrong? I'm going with the black button since the install will be easier.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:35 AM   #15
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
That is odd, my hazard switch is silver and is original to the truck.
Attached Images

68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:07 PM   #16
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver View Post
Interesting. Seems like GM didn't really have a standard for manufacturing these trucks.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:13 PM   #17
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Interesting. Seems like GM didn't really have a standard for manufacturing these trucks.
No, I don't think they did at times. I also have a MG and it appears in some instances the assembly line would use parts from the previous model year (even if it was year specific) until they exhausted that part inventory.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:34 PM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver View Post
You must have an early '68 production truck. My '67 K/10 Suburban had the same Hazard knob with a silver button that's just like the door lock knob.
I bought my '68 C/10 Stepside in 1973. I have no doubt the Red knob was original to my truck.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:14 PM   #19
A1971Blazer

You just have to forget about today's technology, bar coded, and JIT manufacturing...
In those years...they built them and sold them as fast as possible....any combination is not only probable, but also very possible...
If it work's like it's supposed to....I'm all in .....mine is red....I'm moving ahead....
Old 12-04-2023, 06:20 PM   #20
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
Just ran across this last week.
I bought one from Classic parts that was supposed to be for a tilt column with the detachable hazard knob.
It did not have the provision for the indicator bulb.
The only one I could find had the red non-removable hazard knob.
I ended up making a puller using the dimensions that someone posted on here, to remove the outer ring on column in order to get it installed.
Once installed it works perfectly.

Attachment 2318385
I'm glad to see you were able to make use of that drawing! How did the puller work for you? I misplaced mine during a move.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:11 PM   #21
desert-rat

Quote:
So the assembly in that link will work with the tilt column?
Old 12-04-2023, 07:43 PM   #22
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I'm glad to see you were able to make use of that drawing! How did the puller work for you? I misplaced mine during a move.
I didn't remember that it was you that posted the drawing but by all means...it was spot on....I had bookmarked it some time back....thanks for that.

I drew it up by your 2D dimensions and created a solid model....used some scrap aluminum that was slated for the metal recycler...a couple of hours from start to finish...

I was expecting the collar to be fairly snug but it came off with the greatest of ease.

Once it was off the new switch went in easily, especially feeding the wiring harness in....
Old 12-04-2023, 07:50 PM   #23
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Quote:
I wondered the same thing?
I looked closely at the one I bought from Classic Parts....the assembly was entirely different on it because I was looking to see if the bulb would mount to it easily...it would not...most all the others I looked at had the red non-removable HZ knob?
Old 12-05-2023, 11:30 AM   #24
70shortfleet

Quote:
Yes, just put your light assembly on it and it will work!